All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Can this work as a sump?
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 04:43 

Are you human?: YES
I have acquired this tank, which I am considering using as a sump, but I don't know if the impressions on the bottom will cause any issues.

I know that sumps tend to collect solids, and these impressions seem like they would fill with solids.

I've thought about possibly filling them up with gravel, or something else....any ideas??? :dontknow:

Would gravel in the impressions possibly lead to anaerobic areas down the road?

I am considering using this in a CHOP or CHOP 2 type system. An IBC would be the fish tank, and the growbed would be lumber/timbers with a liner. I might have a few fish or crawfish/ yabbies in the sump as well.

Attachments:
IMG_6689.jpg
IMG_6689.jpg [ 83.06 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 05:40 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya LAWill, I'm sure it will be fine as a gb returning sump. Having fish waste settle in it with a chop 2, not so good I'd imagine as it can get anaerobic and stinky. Having said that once worms get in and if it's mixed with plant matter it may not be a problem....
I'm not a chop 2 fan and can't really see any benefit for it anyway if everything is correctly sized.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 06:57 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Breakfast coffee has kicked in and te brain has gone into overdrive thinking outside the square here......

this idea (for a sump) all depends on width of each hole................get some rigid plastic cover up all holes except middle one, then pump (hopefully fits into middle hole).

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '17, 08:41 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
What is the size of that tank and what is the design of your system? How many growbeds? What size are they? Siphon/flood and drain/constant flood?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 00:27 

Thanks for the input/ ideas Skeggley and Tonzz.

Arbe, the configuration looks like it will be a chop set up. It will be flood and drain.
I wanted to add the sump to get more water into the system for added stability.

I have an 275 gallon/1000 liter IBC to use as the fish tank. I am planning on having one 4x8 ft media grow bed, which should give me around 200-239 gallons of filtration capacity.

The tank in question for the sump holds around 166 gallons. I have another tank, that I would prefer to use, since it is UV stabilized, and doesn't have those impressions on the bottom, but it it only 115 gallons. In fact, I have several of them, so I could possibly plumb them together.... :think:

I am assuming I would need at least 135 gallons for the sump.

It seems that this grow bed might be a little small for ample filtration, unless the tank is not stocked too heavily.
I am considering the addition of a swirl or RFF before the grow bed.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 07:53 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
Being flood and drain, your sump will need to be large enough to hold your growbed capacity plus some to keep your pump submerged.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 14:25 

I am new to AP, and trying to get things right before I jump in.

When people say there should be a 1:1 ratio of fish tank volume to growbed/ filtration volume, are they talking about the water volume that would fit into the growbed without media? Or is it the volume of the media itself?

Here's the math that has me thinking I need 135 gallons minimum of sump, and has me thinking 166 gallons might work:
The 4ftx8ftx1ft space of the grow bed would give me 32 cubic ft.

If that was not filled with media, it would hold 7.48 gallons of water per cubic ft (32x7.48=239.36 gallons)

Assuming the water rises to 10 inches, being about .83 of 12 inches (239.36x.83=198.37 gal) ,

then this is multiplied by .6 to account for the displacement of water by the media
(198.37 x .6 =about 120) (120 +10% of 120)=135 gallons ultimate minimum for the sump, but extra water height would benefit the pump....
Is this on the right track???

As for sumps, I assume that deeper and narrower is better than wide and shallow, so that more water depth will be there for the pump when the water is in the grow bed.

This issue has been one of the main things holding me back.........

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 18:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Not much sticks to HDPE, but you might try cleaning the dimples with a wire wheel on a drill (be careful as it is easy to get it stuck and have the drill whack you good.) Once it is roughed up and clean inside hot glue could fill those dimples.

:?

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '17, 18:57 

Are you human?: yes
The size of the sump will determine how long you can run your system without having to top-off.

Minimum size is : The amount needed so that the pump doesn't suck air (depends on the height of the intake pipe) + the amount of water in the growbed (difference bewteen when it's full minus when it's empty).
Then extra capacity will determine how often you have to top-off.

For example my system which has 2x your growbed volume, can loose up to 10 gallons a day (hot days, lots of plants, no rain).
Maybe yours can loose 5, so if you have 50 gallons over the minimum you are sure you can run 10 days without having to top-off.

It depends on the media, lowest level, and highest level, but i think your 4x8 ft growbed won't hold 135 gallons of water bewteen low and high points. I would say something like 50 gallons maybe.

Hope that helps