All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '17, 04:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Thanks dstjohn99, I'm with you on the KISS method and you can't get much simpler than a relay backup or an UPS.

Mine has saved the fish on several occasions and the latest only 2 weeks ago when we had a 2 car accident down on the corner that took the power pole out and we were without power for 10.5 hours while they cleared the wreckage and replaced the power pole. It was the white car on the right that took the pole out, not the car under the pole.

The 18 amp hour battery did the job OK and saved the fish, but being a few years old it didn't recover all that well.

The cold overnight temperature might not of helped it either but it certainly didn't like the 10.5 hour discharge so I replaced it with a new 20 Ah just to make sure.

Attachments:
DSCN1333 (Small).JPG
DSCN1333 (Small).JPG [ 164.61 KiB | Viewed 196 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '17, 04:35 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi guys, I've been busy this weekend building a box to house all my electrickery. I now have a backup system. :headbang:

I built a box that has a mains outdoor waterproof double socket, a 3 in 1 pH TDS temp sensor a 12v air pump (almost identical to the one in joblows photo) a 12v smart charger and a 12v battery. It's all been waterproofed and has hinged flaps and a removable panel both held in place by small magnets but quick release in case of maintenance needs.

It has an inclined roof and weather shield as well as small holes drilled to view the lights on the smart charger.

Thanks to SeanD for the 12v pump idea. It will run continuously connected to the 12v battery and the smart charger will keep the battery topped up. Should the power go off the battery will continue to power the air pump until I sort the problem.

Downsides..... I have soundproofed the air pump in the box. It has two air inlets with filters but I'm not sure if it will get hot until I test it. Secondly the 12v battery is one I was given from someone who had a new one fitted to his car so I don't know how long it will power my pump........ I'll have to test it and if it's no good then I'll just have to buy a new one. Photos soon hopefully. KE

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '17, 19:12 

Photos???? Something about a 1000 words.

We all love them

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '17, 21:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
You may know this already, car batteries off-gas HCI (hydrochloric acid) which shouldn't be around air pump intake. Go with sealed cell batteries when you get a chance.

:?

PostPosted: Sep 13th, '17, 14:36 

Boss, I never thought of that! Luckily when I made it I put the air pump in a separate compartment below the battery with filtered air intakes otherwise it could have spelt disaster.

I wanted to see how long it would run for before the battery gave up but after 24 hours it was still fine so I stopped the test. 24 hours is long enough for me to realise the electricity is out!

Dubot, Photos...... Mmmm, I only seem to be able to post links to photos. I'll try and sort it out then I can start a new thread with photos of my system. KE

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 08:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
boss wrote:
You may know this already, car batteries off-gas HCI (hydrochloric acid) ...

I'm not sure what kind of batteries you use there Brian, but most everywhere else has Lead-acid batteries with Sulphuric acid, H2SO4 in them. When charged rapidly the flooded cell variety produces Hydrogen gas (explosion danger near ignition sources like motors, sparks etc), as will gel and AGM when charged too quickly.

Sulphuric acid fumes escaping from flooded cells will corrode many things, so best to keep them away from equipment, or else use sealed Lead-acid or Lithium batteries.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 09:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Most batteries wont last their estimated life span if they have been discharged more than about 50 % of their capacity.
System requirements in amps should less than about 40% of the battery capacity.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231