All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 01:59 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi all! This might be a bit of a newbie question, but...

Today, I transferred about 15 mature goldfish and 3 mature common carp (all 4-7") from a fully planted and cycled ~80 gal aquaponic system that has been stable for longer than I've been working with it (6+ months). The purpose of this is to make room for a shipment of 100 or so 2-3" common carp so that it can be used as a stock system for carp.

I expect the system to be fishless for 1-2 weeks while I get everything sorted out with the fish supplier and place/receive the order. Today, I added about 9 gal of water from another one of our systems that is running nitrate levels of 100+ ppm to ensure that the plants still have enough available nitrogen until the fish arrive.

My question, aside from am I doing this right, is that when I add the carp, can I expect there to be a damaging or lethal ammonia and/or nitrite spike? I'm a bit concerned that the nitifying bacteria currently present in the system's filter may not be able to handle such a sudden increase in ammonia load, especially after having no ammonia source for a week or two.

Most recent readings are 7.2 pH (I had brought it up from about 6.6 over the course of 2 days so that I can transfer the fish to a higher pH system), 0.25ppm NH4+, 0ppm NO2-, and 0ppm NO3-.

:headbang: :headbang:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 09:35 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
How much filtration (growbeds) do you have , an increase in fish numbers like you are planning will certainly overload your system unless you are currently way understocked , the bacteria will only breed up in numbers according to the food available .

So your going to put a 100 fish in 300 Litres (80 Gallon)

Your will need the best pre filtration available

A massive air pump

What are your long term plans for the 100 new fish

Best advice is strong rethink

Options are

Big increase in fish tank size
Massive Increase in filtration (surface area for bacteria to colonise) either temporary or permanent
Treat system as a new system and monitor very carefully
Be prepared to do water changes soon and often BEFORE trouble turns up

You could give it a dose of ammonia now and see how the system handles the spike .

I use large sections of Tuna net in barrels for a temporary increase in capacity I just run clean water through to process unwanted excess ammonia