All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '17, 00:38 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I've been intrigued with some of the threads I follow and how backyards differ around the world. It seems pretty common that in a lot of areas around the world yard space is pretty limited which generates some pretty unique ideas on how to get the most bang for your buck when it comes to growing space. I'd like to make a picture heavy thread showing everyone's backyards and how you utilize the space for two reasons, 1) to see what kind of unique ideas you've come up with for growing in small spaces (without having to know everyone's systems and dig through other threads to find pictures) and 2) to be able to "travel the world" from at home and gain an appreciation for how things differ in different parts of the world, and also to learn a little more about the type of area most people live in.

A little about where I live... I live about 20 miles from our state capital (Lansing, Michigan) in a pretty rural area. There is a small town called Eaton Rapids that is about 6 miles east of me. Eaton Rapids covers about 3.5 square miles then the rest of us are rural. 2010 census population of about 5,200 people. The next closest town is about 8 miles west of me which is Charlotte (Shar-lot, not Shar-lit for those in the US who like to confuse us with those folks down in NC...). Charlotte covers about 6.5 square miles with 2010 census population of about 9,100 people. Just for comparison to some of the places in the world that people on here may be from... our state capital Lansing covers about 36.6 square miles with a 2010 census population of about 114,300 people...

So here is my slice of dirt... 3.77 acres

Google maps (just updated! I was just saying something the other day that google needed to update the image to show the greenhouse on the map... they listened!)
Attachment:
2017googlemap.png
2017googlemap.png [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 610 times ]

This was last winter looking from the back porch towards the backyard... before I started building the greenhouse.
Attachment:
2.png
2.png [ 384.38 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

Here is a summer picture in about the same view as I was building the greenhouse...
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 337.27 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

view from behind greenhouse towards back of the house when I was working on the greenhouse foundation.
Attachment:
3.png
3.png [ 600.43 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

the opposite side of the yard from where the greenhouse is at... chicken coop, pole barn, pig pen is on the right beside the chicken coop
Attachment:
4.png
4.png [ 508.57 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

I didn't really take many pictures of the garden because we let it get overgrown with weeds, but the space we use for a garden is north of the greenhouse...this was after we had cleaned it up for the year. You can see half of my property is overgrown weeds out in the field. I've planted 200+ trees around the property and I'm hopeful that you'll actually be able to see some of the Norway Pines over the weeds this year because last year they were just about the same height as the weeds.
Attachment:
5.png
5.png [ 557.3 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 05:21 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I live in the suburbs and have less than 10 square yards of backyard, but I'm planning an NFT system to save space! toatly jealous of your backyard lol.

PostPosted: Dec 7th, '17, 07:33 
Legend Member
Legend Member

IDL the whole reason I started this thread was to get more pictures of what people have accomplished in small spaces instead of having to go through so many different threads to find it...apparently everyone thought it was a bad idea like someone was going to stalk them down based on pictures of their yards so no one else thought it was a good idea. I posted a drone video in my greenhouse thread... I have a lot of space outside but cold climate so I need to build in the greenhouse which means I'm still looking for ideas of how to maximize my system in a small area (16x16ft greenhouse).

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '17, 04:53 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Here is my backyard system overview. It's about 25' x 30' and has two systems, an 800 gallon catfish pond and a 250 gal tilapia tank. Still lots of room to go vertical with grow towers when I get the chance.

Attachment:
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG [ 169.49 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '17, 05:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
We've got more space that anyone needs. So I'll not post pictures, he says meekly.
Brian

:?

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '17, 09:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Google maps updated again.. twice in one year! Now you can see how much we transformed the garden this year and it has the hoop house in it...
Attachment:
Screenshot_20171207-201908-505x899.png
Screenshot_20171207-201908-505x899.png [ 743.28 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '17, 20:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
That was quick. I'm going to check ours.
Attachment:
Same-old-Google-map-here-in-NM640px.png
Same-old-Google-map-here-in-NM640px.png [ 841.23 KiB | Viewed 133 times ]

Doesn't show the latest addition

:?

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '17, 01:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Wow, this is more than 2 years old. I now have 250 gal system 1 with 5 GBs, and 800 gal System 2 with 9 GBs and 3 DWCs in the same space.
Attachment:
google maps.jpg
google maps.jpg [ 52.88 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '17, 04:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

wow look at that solar grid!!! So not only am I jealous of your backyard / AP setup dstjohn but also your solar grid!