All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Member skills
PostPosted: Aug 11th, '14, 21:31 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: I AM A MEAT POPSICLE
Mechanical engineer (Bachelors) here working in oil and gas.

Tons of hobbies including; fishing, shooting, reloading, bullet casting, automotive mechanics, home aquaria (180g saltwater reef for 10 years), and others.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '14, 22:01 

You know my toes are to die for Dasboot

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '14, 23:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
With that big a chopper you most probably would..... :laughing3:

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '14, 12:40 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Blizzard wrote:
The list is long but never endless in jobs I have done so far, patio erector, baker, pastry cook, ceiling moulder, quality verifier, cable winder, wildflower picker, yes that a job, back in 1989 it paid $300 per day! Plasterer, bricklayer, carpenters TA, electricians TA bookkeeper, purchasing officer, storeman, forklift operator, truck driver, loader driver, machine operator the manufacturing kind various jobs to many to name, welder, now I work for a council, driving trucks, boring, but my best job was when I first got my licence 3 days after to be accurate, I was to deliver wine, and glasses and everything that hotels and nightclubs required in the metropolitan area, which made me the mate of all mates, as I could get free entry at most clubs and I new where every club or pub was without looking at a map book!

I knew someone who, sometime in the 70's or early 80's advertised a fictitious patio erecting company in the local paper as a joke (just to frame the ad to hang behind his bar). The ad mentioned they used Pine (pinus radiata)

He called the business "Pinus Erections". ;)

He actually got some calls, so he and a mate did some very dodgy building work with no prior experence.

I think his name was Doug.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '14, 09:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Right now I get ready to celebrate 25 years of my Laundry business, 17th of August.
I used to be a photographer, freelance, did everything from table top to fashion and the rather ugly world of international and domestic conflicts.
Grew up with horses, dressage, jumping and three day eventing.
Ran a Dude string for 12 years in the Navajo Reservation, before that worked as stall cleaner on racetracks, harvested tobacco and produce and rode 2 horses from the East Coast to the West Coast and from Mexico to Canada. I can weld, I can plumb, I can do electrician work, built a house, shoe horses, dirt farm.

Am an autodidact, can not read a manual and understand it, but understand by visualizing the problem, I have to see it to understand it

I love to work with wood. Used to built jumps for there day eventing

Animals live long around me, dogs, horses, Llamas. Cows don't I am always hungry.
Plants and fish are a new thing for me, I have no idea what I am doing with aquaponics, just jumped into the cold water, as usual and learn how to swim.

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '14, 18:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: family Hominidae
Gnoib, it sounds as though you have lived a couple of lifetimes already! A Dude string has me intrigued - I'm picturing (but trying hard not to) a G-string for blokes!

Congrats on your pending 25th anniversary of operating your laundry business. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '14, 18:59 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Mostly
Image Dude

Bender's System

Bender's Backyard

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '14, 22:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
PLJ wrote:
Gnoib, it sounds as though you have lived a couple of lifetimes already! A Dude string has me intrigued - I'm picturing (but trying hard not to) a G-string for blokes!

Congrats on your pending 25th anniversary of operating your laundry business. :thumbleft:

I am kinde the restles, though starting to settle some. But since I am out of the horsy stuff, I am not anymore constantly on the road, which allows me to do more around my house. Like a garden and some plants and so on.

A Dude String, well, some might have G-strings, but I you sit on a horse for 10 hours, that could be a rather blistering expiriance. :mrgreen:

Its guiding tourist on horse back trailrides. Mine were around 500 miles long and took 2 weeks. Blister Butt LLC................

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '14, 08:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: 01011001011001010111
I possess the power of hindsight.

My system : http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12922

The good thing about science is that you don't have to believe in it for it to be right.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '14, 23:57 

gnoib wrote:
Right now I get ready to celebrate 25 years of my Laundry business, 17th of August.
I used to be a photographer, freelance, did everything from table top to fashion and the rather ugly world of international and domestic conflicts.
Grew up with horses, dressage, jumping and three day eventing.
Ran a Dude string for 12 years in the Navajo Reservation, before that worked as stall cleaner on racetracks, harvested tobacco and produce and rode 2 horses from the East Coast to the West Coast and from Mexico to Canada. I can weld, I can plumb, I can do electrician work, built a house, shoe horses, dirt farm.

Am an autodidact, can not read a manual and understand it, but understand by visualizing the problem, I have to see it to understand it

I love to work with wood. Used to built jumps for there day eventing

Animals live long around me, dogs, horses, Llamas. Cows don't I am always hungry.
Plants and fish are a new thing for me, I have no idea what I am doing with aquaponics, just jumped into the cold water, as usual and learn how to swim.

I have this problem where I want to be able to do everything, and be everything.

But when you said you were an autodidact, I thought "cool, I can do that", so I looked it up, but as a result of having to look it up, I realised I can never be one.

Wikipedia taught me that I wanted to be self taught, so I can never be anything but wikipedia taught.

Damn you wikipedia.

:)

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Aug 31st, '14, 04:01 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
I regularly get customers in that ask how to do something on their marine multifunction display. I show them, then they yell "THAT WASN'T IN THE MANUAL!" I casually respond with something to the effect that I really only look at the manuals to get the color coding for the NMEA0183 interface and the the rest of the manual is pointless. I used to pride myself on helping people understand what is written in manuals. Now I have to fill in the gaps the manual misses.

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '14, 01:44 

Aggghhhh!

I cant remember the password to my router!

Does anyone have any cracking skills?

What bump?

My system

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '14, 02:03 

I figure the kind of people who post their skills in here might be the same kind of people who might be willing to infect other people's systems for them.

If you're willing to share some bacteria at someone new to aquaponics to speed up their cycling, drop your location into this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23378

If you're not willing to help them out, but live tantalisingly close to them, drop a post into the thread to tell them you COULD help them, but aren't willing to put yourself out :)

My system

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 00:43 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
Wow! Look at all the brain power on this forum, we could start a veg-revolution here!

Professionally...I've owned a computer repair shop and ran BBS boards before the internet was even a big deal as a kid in highschool in the 90s, worked in a top secret underground base in the US Marine Corps in Hawaii, can't talk about that part :geek:... its where Edward Snowden would later work. But after that I did web development mostly php/mysql while I went back to school till 06 when I switched to web based marketing SEO and lead generation for the timeshare and travel industry. Now I do internet marketing consulting web development/design. I've been a nerd all my life I am especially good at online research and working with large amounts of data.

Personally... I'm the skinniest "fat guy" you'll ever meet. I love to eat (though you can't tell from looking at me) and I'm blessed with a beautiful girlfriend (soon to be wife) who can cook! Not only that but it was actually her who got me into both gardening and AP. We also have 3 dogs and a turtle and enjoy nature and animals so that is how we found AP to be a good match for us.

Gardening for us has been a way to spend time together as a shared interested as well as a peaceful part of our home for us and the dogs. Our appreciation for AP has been inspired by art, food, animals, and the sound of water just as much as it has by the nerdy aspects of the science, building, and farming.

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '14, 22:14 

Just out of interest, has anyone (other than me) benefited from this thread. ie has anyone contacted someone on this thread for advice about something. I cant help thinking this thread was made just for my benefit, because I need most of the knowledge and expert advice offered here.

Once again, BYAP to my rescue :)

And I'm now in day one of a new skill...

Gold goldfish farmer.

Ask me anything:)

My system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next