All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Fish Capacity
PostPosted: Oct 12th, '12, 10:32 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I have a couple of questions
System is 1000L shuttle fish tank , 3 x 300mm deep shuttle growbeds , 1 x 50 L growbed , 700L sump been running since may . Plants and fish growing great .
Only have 10 Trout about a foot long now , feeding about 30g a day so 3g each , they eat feed as fast as i can throw it in . Tests this morning are Ph around 6 (due to bring that up abit again) Amm .50ppm ( will have to miss feeding a day or two again), Nitrite is always 0 , Nitrate is around 30ppm.

(1) Am i feeding too much , with around 80L of gravel per fish i would have thought i would have plenty of filtration to handle the load . It has been a pretty cold winter could this be a factor and or the low Ph affecting bacteria.

(2) I have been useing dolomite or Dam water top ups (ph high 8s purple) to buffer up thinking of useing Potassium bicarbonate occasionally to increase nutrient base , how much of this would bring my system up half a point .

(3) I will have to move Trout out probably by the end of the month and will need something to drive the system through summer , Im in western SA and i have a similiar climate to Adelaide , however im a minimum 6hrs drive from there so probably have to freight them here , thinking Silvers or Catfish i have Dams as well so i could get a reasonable size order , any suggestions on where to source fish and get them here in good shape.
Rob.

Advertisement