All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 18th, '13, 09:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
Have patience BIF! It is not uncommon for cycling to take 4-6 weeks with cooler water. Your heater should help with that though.

Also a word on the snails. If they are the same ones I got introduced by an aquarium shops plants, kill them! Kill them quick as you can!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 18th, '13, 11:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: I THOUGHT I was...
Depending on the fish you want to go with, BiF, you may eventually need a more powerful heater. If/when that happens, I highly recommend Eheim Jagers. I've got two 300w Eheim in my 560L tank and, while I'm currently on a 10 min +/- flood/drain cycle (due to running a 1500lph pump) I was able to maintain 23*C +/- water temp in a 16*C +/- basement over the winter. The Eheims have a range of 18 to 33*C as well.

PostPosted: May 18th, '13, 17:22 
Yep... the Jagers are good value for money...

PostPosted: May 19th, '13, 18:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Often
rsevs3 wrote:
Also a word on the snails. If they are the same ones I got introduced by an aquarium shops plants, kill them! Kill them quick as you can!

Why? What's wrong with snails? I heard they just help keep the tank clean?

I believe they're Malaysian trumpet snails - supposed to eat algae and detritus...

My indoor aquarium system.

PostPosted: May 19th, '13, 18:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Fishbits wrote:
Depending on the fish you want to go with, BiF, you may eventually need a more powerful heater. If/when that happens, I highly recommend Eheim Jagers. I've got two 300w Eheim in my 560L tank and, while I'm currently on a 10 min +/- flood/drain cycle (due to running a 1500lph pump) I was able to maintain 23*C +/- water temp in a 16*C +/- basement over the winter. The Eheims have a range of 18 to 33*C as well.

Many thanks for the tip, but i'm planning to keep white cloud mountain minnows (about 20 of them) as I've read they like cooler water (above 16).

Any experience with minnows?

PostPosted: May 19th, '13, 20:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Meat Popsicle
BoredomIsFailure wrote:

The ones I catch usually become food for the other fish. Then again that's why I catch them. If they don't get eaten.... they usually go belly up within a couple of hours. Then they become crawdad food.

PostPosted: May 21st, '13, 16:14 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Zeknix wrote:
BoredomIsFailure wrote:

The ones I catch usually become food for the other fish. Then again that's why I catch them. If they don't get eaten.... they usually go belly up within a couple of hours. Then they become crawdad food.

Erm, thanks for that Zeknix! I hope my experiences will be a little better than that! I've got some long finned white cloud mountain minnows on order from the LFS, hope I'll be able to add them in a week.

PostPosted: May 21st, '13, 17:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

A bit of an update on the nitrite levels...

May 11 - pH 8.3, Amm:0.5, NO2:30+, NO3:5
May 12 - pH 8.3, Amm:0.0, NO2:30+, NO3:5
May 16 - pH:8.3, Amm:0.0, NO2:20, NO3:40
May 17 - pH:8.3, Amm:0.0, NO2:20, NO3:30
May 19 - pH:8.3, Amm:0.0, NO2:15, NO3:60

At this point I felt things were obviously going in the right direction, but I didn't fancy waiting however long it was going to take to get those nitrites back to a reasonable level. Instead, I did a roughly 90% water change.

May 19 - pH:7.8, Amm:0.0, NO2: 0.25, NO3:40 (right after water change)
May 20 - pH:8.3, Amm:0.5, NO2: 0.25, NO3:20 (after letting sit, and dosing with ammonia)
May 20 - pH:8.3, Amm:0.0, NO2: 0.25, NO3:40 (8 hours later)

Adding ammonia seems to wind up with higher nitrates (cool) but it would still be night to get a 0.0 reading on nitrites. I'll check again tonight (21st) and hope to see a 0 NO2 reading. assuming I do I'll dose the ammonia a bit higher next time (maybe 2ppm) and see how long it takes to get back to Amm:0 NO2:0.

Things finally seem to be getting there :D another week to let the bacteria establish then I plan to add some fish (either 6 or 12 minnows).

PostPosted: May 22nd, '13, 19:22 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Meat Popsicle
BoredomIsFailure wrote:
Zeknix wrote:
BoredomIsFailure wrote:

Erm, thanks for that Zeknix! I hope my experiences will be a little better than that! I've got some long finned white cloud mountain minnows on order from the LFS, hope I'll be able to add them in a week.

Well, the minnows I got were from a lake and were destined to die anyways so I just threw them in the water without letting them adjust to the different water temps and pH. Shocked minnows = easy food for the system fish. Sorry, my "advice" was completely useless.

The one thing I do remember from talking to some aquarium people is that you should really give your minnows plenty of time to adjust to the temp and pH of the system. Might not be all minnows but they seem to be much more sensitive to larger changes in pH and temp compared to other more"hardier" fish.

Your nitrites will eventually drop to 0ppm as your system matures. Upping the Ammo, waiting for the levels to reach zero, and repeating is a good idea, IMHO. Keeps the bacteria alive and helps them grow.

PostPosted: May 24th, '13, 17:13 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Zeknix wrote:
Well, the minnows I got were from a lake and were destined to die anyways so I just threw them in the water without letting them adjust to the different water temps and pH. Shocked minnows = easy food for the system fish. Sorry, my "advice" was completely useless.

The one thing I do remember from talking to some aquarium people is that you should really give your minnows plenty of time to adjust to the temp and pH of the system. Might not be all minnows but they seem to be much more sensitive to larger changes in pH and temp compared to other more"hardier" fish.

Your advice wasn't useless, thanks for the tips! Luckily the LFS was keeping the minnows is water very similar to my tank, so not much adjustment needed. I added six last night and they seem to be loving it so far - very energetic!

Zeknix wrote:
Your nitrites will eventually drop to 0ppm as your system matures. Upping the Ammo, waiting for the levels to reach zero, and repeating is a good idea, IMHO. Keeps the bacteria alive and helps them grow.

The day after my last post I was reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I tried dosing again to 2ppm ammonia and it took a day and half to get back to 0's. That's good enough for me so I went ahead and put some fish in :D they don't seem to mind the nitrates being pretty high (around 60?) the LFS water was 40-50 nitrates anyway. I'm guessing with such a low bioload and a decent crop of mint the nitrates should drop pretty fast - once that happens I'll start adding more fish (and a few shrimp) until it starts to look crowded.

PostPosted: May 18th, '18, 19:12 

Are you human?: YES
This post really helps.

I also had the same thought.
I questioned whether if i stop feed the bacteria that converts ammonia to Nitrite then it would run out of food.
but from what i gather it is a question of waiting until the other bacteria that turn the Nitrite into Nitrate have kicked in and that that is just a question of time.

is that correct people?

I was using the logic that if the fish were present they would be adding ammonia but I ask my self is it because one is dosing at higher amounts.

currently I add a few cap fulls of ammonium and in 24 hours its not level is all the way down.
My Nitrite level is very high.
My Nitrate is also 500mg/l so also high. (added plants now to get that down)

2 weeks in.

fraser

PostPosted: May 18th, '18, 23:08 

Are you human?: YES
fraseramsterdam wrote:
I questioned whether if i stop feed the bacteria that converts ammonia to Nitrite then it would run out of food.

They are fine for long periods of time without adding food. I'm not sure whether they go dormant or whether they feed off of other organisms that die. I've had them survive for 6 months on moist media that was bagged up while I prepared to move. In your situation, I would stop adding ammonia, wait for the nitrite and nitrate levels to drop to reasonable levels (say below 100) before adding any more ammonia.

fraseramsterdam wrote:
i gather it is a question of waiting until the other bacteria that turn the Nitrite into Nitrate have kicked in and that that is just a question of time.

Yes you are right.