All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Swirl filter
PostPosted: Jan 10th, '17, 16:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Reluctant vertebrate
Thanks to both of you. So the UV is bacterial/algae control?

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '17, 17:00 

Are you human?: YES
In this case it's for algae control but depending on the exposure times and some other factors it can kill other things like bacteria.

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '17, 10:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

DoctorFish wrote:
Many thanks for the detailed plan! Hope you dont mind if I fire questions at you from time to time!

First question, can you run the venturies at the same time as supplying the GBs?
I like the idea of utilising the fittings at the base of the IBC for inlets, I would imagine this helps to circulate any solids. With an elbow on the inside to direct the flow left or right it would also create a vortex effect. With the SLO plumbed to the middle of the tank it would capture the solids nicely (just brainstorming).

Cheers

Hi Mate,

I would make the changes indicated on the photo if i was to do this again for easier maintenance,

Like Charlie said, IBC's dont lend them selves to swirl, so we place a venturi/water return on the opposite side to the outlet to make assist in getting the water to move around, along with all of the airstones.
the outlet from the fishtank to the swirl filter, is 40mm pipe and the pipe from the swirl to the second barrel is 50mm.
And you can see from the photos, that i have no issues with my water, its crystal clear and free of food on the bottom.

You can absolutely use the venturis and watering the growbeds at the same time. If you haven't bought your water pump yet, then take the opportunity to buy one larger than what you need. If the rule is usually the volume of your fish tanks once/hour, in my case 1800 fishtank ltrs + 440 of filters = 2240ltrs of water per hour, I use a 3500ltr/hr pump.
I am only lifting water 50cm maximum so i have heaps extra to send back to the fish tanks.
The venturis are simply spa bath venturis, and they work a treat.

I have never used an SLO, so i can't help you there, we draw water from the bottom right of the IBC via a flange attached to a 40mm elbow which exits the fist tank and pressure feeds it to the swirl filter. I can get a photo of it if you need it,
It works very well.

I don't mind the questions mate, fire away anytime.
Regards

Old Prospector wrote:
Just what is your "First question"
You start off by asking a question for inflow into GB's, and then you add on using the drain on the IBC as a Inlet for a Venturi.
And end with a SLO for a drain.
Proof read before you post will show that you have a Second and Third question, YOUR POST IS QUITE CONFUSING.

What's confusing, is your reasoning behind taking a cheap and pointless shot. The post had nothing to do with you, you had no input into the conversation nor anything constructive to add.
What's confusing is why you felt you had the right to criticize at all?

Is it only on forums and social media? or do you randomly stop people in the street and tell them face to face that they are making no sense, that you don't understand them, that they confuse you?
Maybe you interrupt at a restaurant table? Excuse me, do you mind, you're reading of the menu is confusing me...?
Yes? No?
Rude, pointless and just rude.

Attachments:
tumblr_mxfreplyJg1rl6ozro4_1280.jpg
tumblr_mxfreplyJg1rl6ozro4_1280.jpg [ 164.11 KiB | Viewed 1062 times ]

http://macedonnativefishfarm.com.au - We'll miss you Mario,
PostPosted: Jan 11th, '17, 10:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks Porter.

A question about the tubs you are using for the filters. I assume these are dictating the height of the water level in the FTs? I noticed that the water level in the tanks is almost 2 rungs down from the top of the IBC. Is this planned, or is it just low when you took the shot? How much difference does the water level in the FT make? I was thinking of using the larger 200l blue drums for this.

Cheers

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '17, 10:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

DoctorFish wrote:
Thanks Porter.

A question about the tubs you are using for the filters. I assume these are dictating the height of the water level in the FTs? I noticed that the water level in the tanks is almost 2 rungs down from the top of the IBC. Is this planned, or is it just low when you took the shot? How much difference does the water level in the FT make? I was thinking of using the larger 200l blue drums for this.

Cheers

Sorry Mate, Bad photo choice on my part.
We upgraded the filter in 2015 to 2x220ltr barrels.

The water levels are set by the height of the growbed return pipe, under the growbeds.
The water height in the tanks is usually at the first bar on the IBC as shown in the photos below.
The outlet from the swirl to the second barrel has a 3in fudge factor in water height between the water level in the fish tanks and the filters.

look, seriously, the volume of the filters absolutely matters to the quality of your system, like i stated in my original rant here, the more volume in the filter, the better you can process your waste and the better the water that flows through the rest of the system. (i can explain my theory if you like one day). Your 200ltr barrels will be perfect.

Regards

Attachments:
tumblr_nicwlhK8Dk1rl6ozro3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nicwlhK8Dk1rl6ozro3_1280.jpg [ 136.5 KiB | Viewed 1060 times ]
tumblr_nicwlhK8Dk1rl6ozro2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nicwlhK8Dk1rl6ozro2_1280.jpg [ 149.46 KiB | Viewed 1060 times ]

http://macedonnativefishfarm.com.au - We'll miss you Mario,
PostPosted: Jan 15th, '17, 17:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Porter, FYI, I have just uploaded some sketchup plans onto my system page that outline what I am thinking at this stage. Click on the link in my sig to take a look. Cheers