All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Dutch Buckets.
PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 11:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
For the members running Dutch Buckets,what do you use for your watering times,I have done a search and got a rough ideal but be nice to get it straight from those running buckets,especially successfully. I have a small bucket system with peppers,chilliest Toms and cucumbers and I just can’t seem to get enough nutrients into them,there all lagging way behind the DWC and generally don’t look good.
I am using coir for media in Bato buckets and these I run to waste, I have tried numerous watering times but I just can’t seem to get it to click.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Dutch Buckets.
PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 12:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Hi Andreas,

I used buckets for tomatoes mainly. As they are hungry I used to sprinkle blood&bone with potash (Yates Australian commercial product) directly onto the bucket media, and watered in with a watering can. Would water a can of AP water everyday in the am or pm as I got around to it. I doubt I would have got much yield on my goldfish AP water alone. It is one of the reasons I favoured using Dutch Buckets.

I run my systems on a timer and simply had the buckets in the loop.
30min-30min and just left water in the buckets at about 100mm from the bottom
(the buckets then were square plastic planters around 300mm x 300mm x 400mm high with clay ball media)

** disclaimer - I never had tomatoes anywhere near as prolific as those in your DWC's (page 138 of your thread)

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 10:10 
A posting God
A posting God

That’s one of the problems,my buckets do not want to respond,I have tried a lot of different timings to no avail, funnily i did the same as I have just read you did and spoon fed striaight to the top of the bucket,I feel my main deficiency is Potassium so each bucket got half a teaspoon, let’s see what happens. Foliar spraying hasn’t really improved things,it almost seems the low nutrient levels we so sucssefully utilise in our beds and DWCs are not conducive to drip feeding at intervals.
I watched a video on you tube where a guy used rain gutter supported by 2x4s capped at each end with a float valve in one end to control water depth. He used a bucket with a net pot set in the center and this then filled with potting mix to the top of the bucket,the net cup then went into the water with the bucket resting on the supports. Wicking action from the potting mix delivered water up into bucket and then became self regulating by the demands of the plant,the float valve kept a constant level in the gutter.
This might be an option to try if coir will wick, I am going to play around with this, as for my buckets I might redo the plumbing at the moment they run to waste, but I could put a return back to the sump and then run constant, experimenting with drip rates or flow rates whatever I can get to work.
I have two Toms in buckets,the same plant as in the DWC and they are only a third or less of the size, they and the peppers just look starved but my levels within the system are fine.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 10:52 

Are you human?: YES
dasboot wrote:
I watched a video on you tube where a guy used rain gutter supported by 2x4s capped at each end with a float valve in one end to control water depth. He used a bucket with a net pot set in the center and this then filled with potting mix to the top of the bucket,the net cup then went into the water with the bucket resting on the supports. Wicking action from the potting mix delivered water up into bucket and then became self regulating by the demands of the plant,the float valve kept a constant level in the gutter.

Sounds like a Self Watering Rain Gutter Garden. I set one of these up and it worked really well. If you run something like this it is easier to not recycle the water back through the system, that way you can fertilize or treat without back contaminating the fish system. Mine were just hooked to a reservoir and I added AP water manually. You can see some pics of them in my wicking be thread -

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13622

Make sure you get buckets that are UV resistant so they last longer (Mine weren't).

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 11:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Some lovely looking work Scotty, I see you used potting mix, that’s not going to available here so I need to work out an alternative.... :think:

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 16:41 

Are you human?: YES
Hopefully the coco coir will work but if not I think you'll be able to come up with your own mix. You could also just run a wick up into the center of the container and eventually the plant roots will find their way down to the trough.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 17:28 
A posting God
A posting God

If I had to take a guess its the coco coir that's causing the problem.It needs to be flushed and stabilised without looking it up it can cause problems with calcium magnesium or ? P or K.
Sorry to be so vague but I was going to use the coarse stuff for orchids and I only came across that as an aside ie it wasn't going to effect the orchids so I didn't pursue it. :)

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 08:23 
A posting God
A posting God

https://www.maximumyield.com/buffering- ... dia/2/1318

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 09:59 
A posting God
A posting God

Sleepe wrote:
If I had to take a guess its the coco coir that's causing the problem.It needs to be flushed and stabilised without looking it up it can cause problems with calcium magnesium or ? P or K.
Sorry to be so vague but I was going to use the coarse stuff for orchids and I only came across that as an aside ie it wasn't going to effect the orchids so I didn't pursue it. :)

Sleepe I reckon your spot on, I did do the washing thing until the EC level dropped,coir here tends to be heavy in salt. I am not a big fan of the coir we get here it’s nowhere near as good as the stuff that I could find in the hydro shops back home. I think the deficiency is across the board, I can definitely see K and that could also be Mg,it’s almost as if there in a different system. After trying different water timings yesterday I increased the water level in the bottom of the bucket,if I can’t get any improvement soon it’s time to start looking for perlite.