All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '18, 23:53 

Are you human?: YES
I’m having trouble finding a good solution to this problem. I have a 300 gallon above-ground pond (in a Rubbermaid stock tank) and I attached a 1.5 inch pipe to the existing bulkhead that gravity feeds into my Radial Flow Filter (which overflows into my skippy/biofilter). The pond is for my ducks but I have recently added some mosquito fish (Gambusia) which are TINY and they are getting sucked into my RFF. They seem pretty happy in there but they are even getting sucked out of the RFF into the standing overflow pipe and into the bio filter. I’ve lost 5 in 36 hours b/c they don’t seem to be able to survive in the bio filter (no surprise there). They are also a huge PITA to get back out of the RFF (they are quite fast and real hard to see in a blue barrel).

So, my conundrum is this. I could imagine laying a pipe down the bottom of the pond and cutting super narrow slits in it so the fish can’t get through and using this as the drain to feed the RFF (I’ve seen this in videos of SLO designs), but I would think this would severely cut down on the solids filtration capability of the RFF, wouldn’t it? If I installed a guard at the drain I would think this would clog pretty quickly if it was fine enough to block the fish. I guess the whole point of the RFF is to settle out the solids, so how do I keep tiny fish out of it while letting solids through?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '18, 03:02 

Are you human?: Does not compute
This idea would be more hindsight than anything else, but you could put them in a largish net that would contain them until they're large enough to keep from getting through the SLO. I guess you could put the ones you find in the RFF into a net, since I doubt it will be possible to net all of the ones in the FT :support:

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '18, 09:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

1.5" strainer basket from greenlee (look @ tractor supply website for picture and wrap that in a 5 gallon mesh paint strainer from any paint store (Sherwim Williams or maybe a big box like Lowes/HD)

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '18, 22:53 

That sounds like a pretty good solution, BroHay. I think I'm going to do what you suggest. Good thing I've seen this thread before building the pond. I hope you sorted out your issue too, tpetzie. If you did it in some other way, I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 02:20 

Hey a fellow Austinite! Actually I did do something a little different just because I had the parts laying around but I’m not sure if it’s going to be 100% effective yet, only time will tell whether any of the little mosquito fish end up in my RFF. So far I’m pretty hopeful since I haven’t seen any in 12 hours or so.

What I ended up doing is taking a 1.5” PVC pipe about 3 feet long and cutting about 18 narrow slits into the bottom of it with my chop saw. The slits are as narrow as my blade (can’t measure it just now but I’m assuming it’s about 1/8” so the slits are a wee bit wider than that) and roughly 2” wide. Basically I did something like what this describes but with slightly narrower slits and not as an SLO, just a straight pipe: http://aquaponicgardening.ning.com/grou ... ish-screen. I capped 1 end of the PVC and attached a huge hose-barb adapter that I had lying around unused — https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /300862718). Then I slipped some rubber gaskets on the end of the hose barb and pushed that into the drain port on the Rubbermaid stock tank from the inside. Probably o-rings or any compressible rubber like that would work just as well, it’s really just to put some pressure against the inner threads of the drain port so the hose barb can’t slide back out.

This seems to be holding alight for now just due to the pressure of the flanges against the inner threads (I also placed some bricks on the capped end of the pipe to keep some pressure on it to keep it attached to the drain port). I don’t think I would recommend this approach if you don’t have the parts already because between the rubber flanges and the hose barb adapter it would be like $10, whereas a UniSeal to replace the POS bulkhead that comes with the Rubbermaid tanks would be cheaper. I plan on replacing the crappy bulkhead at some point but I just didn’t want to have to drain the pond this week to do it.

Honestly, I’m really frustrated with the Rubbermaid stock tank… how expensive would it have been for them to put a decent bulkhead on it that you can thread from the inside and the outside… :upset:

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 07:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

If you have a Tractor Supply, the cost of their bulkheads cannot be beat. I isually clear out a g8ven store (x3 frequent) of their inventory because the gaskets are super thock and do kot rrquire any silicone (being lazy) and form a good seal.

I just found a local hardware store that even has them cheaper than TSC. By 1.5.

The kerf of a blade is 1/8" typically. However, if you gambusia give birth, they will easily be sucked through. Hence the need for the 5 gall9n paint screen.....