All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 19th, '18, 19:48 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
I need some help.

Im looking at using a sump tank 300 litre tub and two 44 litre containers from bunnings for my grow media.

Do i need to use air pump like this or will the 1500litre a hour pump be enough to give them air?


https://www.petbarn.com.au/fish/aquariu ... -pump-4000


I dont have heaps of money to start it , so im looking to have basic set up with the sump tank and two grow media setup.

When i have more cash i wll get a seperate tank for the fish and set up a swirl filter.

Also what media would people use in a filter ?

http://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/biop ... litre.html

http://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/biop ... -26mm.html


i would like to know what would be easy to have a small bucket for a swil filter to keep the solids out or a big filter setup.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 19th, '18, 23:41 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Apr 4th, '11, 13:18
Posts: 2266
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Not before 8am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
How many litres is your fish tank?... If you're planning on starting with just a 300L sump tank and buying a fish tank at a later date, what sort of fish are you planning on running and how many?

The air pump will be fine. It's not advisable to rely solely on the water pump for aeration, if it stops, the fish could be dead in under an hour, depending on conditions. Ideally your air pump should run off an alternative power supply to your water pump. If it must run off the mains power, then I would suggest buying a battery back-up air pump. They run off 240v and a built-in relay switches over to power from a built-in battery if the 240v goes off.

If you don't have much coin to start off with, then I definitely wouldn't be buying K1 media or bio-balls. For starters, additional bio-filters aren't required in well designed backyard sized aquaponic systems, that's what the gravel in the grow beds does. I would spend the money on expanded clay for your grow beds.

_________________
Mr Damage - a.k.a: Yabbies
Owner at Perth Aquaponics - Aquaponic Consultant & Trainer
Trade certified Horticulturist & Cert IV TAE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 09:13 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56
Posts: 17675
Images: 3
Location: Perth
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Yeah, $122 for 50litres of extruded plastic? Makes expanded clay look positively cheap.. :)

_________________
www.havehomewilltravel.com
Life on the road


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 23:40 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
ok thanks for the tip

I cant source the clay media easy were i live, bunnings sell 10 litres for about 20 dollars.

I can get scroria media in bulk from rock places.

I wont have big enough tank to grow fish to eat , so i will just grow some aquarium fish and let them breed in their.


I will get some 200 litre barrells when their avaible for a fish tank.


I just want to be able start a system then add on to it when i get funds


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 08:15 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56
Posts: 17675
Images: 3
Location: Perth
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
See if you have any hydroponic shops around you should be able to get clay cheaper, 50L for $40 is about standard I think..

_________________
www.havehomewilltravel.com
Life on the road


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 10:12 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
earthbound wrote:
See if you have any hydroponic shops around you should be able to get clay cheaper, 50L for $40 is about standard I think..


hey

i had a look

i can only find one shop advertising about it

Also seem exp that prob take four bags to fill up the containers i would use for my grow media.


I have been to the rock yards and garden yards and havent noticed many clay balls


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 12:25 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
I just wanting to know if having 5 blue drums 220 litre would be better than having one 300 litre round tub.

i have been thinking of having one the blue drums laying on it side on the ground as a sump then having a barrel standing upright as a fish tank and cutting a blue barrel in half. I was thinking of using the half for grow media area.


I just wondering on ideas on setup


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '18, 08:07 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56
Posts: 17675
Images: 3
Location: Perth
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Garden yards generally only sell rock media, not clay, plenty of rock media is good for systems but a bit heavy of course. Barrrels laying on their side will slump easily.. So many possibilities with blue barrels. Here's one I built a few years back. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11100

_________________
www.havehomewilltravel.com
Life on the road


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '18, 12:53 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Apr 4th, '11, 13:18
Posts: 2266
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Not before 8am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
IMO, with access to scoria as you've suggested, even with limited funds, you would be better off trying to source a cheap IBC that hasn't contained anything dodgy and building a single IBC system. Done correctly his would enable you to have a 500L+ fish tank and a grow bed 1m x 1.2m with a 300mm gravel depth, which would enable you to grow about 8-12 edible fish, such as Barra, Jade Perch, Silver Perch, and a reasonable amount of vegetables. There would be far less plumbing and framework etc involved, single IBC systems are very simple, quick and easy to set up.

The IBC would probably set you back around $80-$100, maybe less if you hunt around. The plumbing and a bell siphon could be done for around $50, and a pump (a HP1100 or similar is suitable for a single IBC system) would be around $50, so a total of $200 there. You would also need around 330-350L of scoria, whatever that's worth from the landscape supplier, and 4x timbers for GB supports, ideally around 100 x 50mm or larger and 1.2m+ long, these can often be sourced for free.

You could build it for this amount initially, then while it's cycling, which would take probs 3-4 weeks, you could save up some coin and get a battery back-up air pump, so you have it by the time the system is ready for fingerlings.

_________________
Mr Damage - a.k.a: Yabbies
Owner at Perth Aquaponics - Aquaponic Consultant & Trainer
Trade certified Horticulturist & Cert IV TAE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '18, 16:28 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
earthbound wrote:
Garden yards generally only sell rock media, not clay, plenty of rock media is good for systems but a bit heavy of course. Barrrels laying on their side will slump easily.. So many possibilities with blue barrels. Here's one I built a few years back. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11100


I had a look at youre design it looks good. Its hard trying to source blue barrels. They had some avaible and five min later they were gone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '18, 16:35 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Feb 15th, '18, 17:31
Posts: 20
Gender: Male
Are you human?: no
Location: australia northern territory
Mr Damage wrote:
IMO, with access to scoria as you've suggested, even with limited funds, you would be better off trying to source a cheap IBC that hasn't contained anything dodgy and building a single IBC system. Done correctly his would enable you to have a 500L+ fish tank and a grow bed 1m x 1.2m with a 300mm gravel depth, which would enable you to grow about 8-12 edible fish, such as Barra, Jade Perch, Silver Perch, and a reasonable amount of vegetables. There would be far less plumbing and framework etc involved, single IBC systems are very simple, quick and easy to set up.

The IBC would probably set you back around $80-$100, maybe less if you hunt around. The plumbing and a bell siphon could be done for around $50, and a pump (a HP1100 or similar is suitable for a single IBC system) would be around $50, so a total of $200 there. You would also need around 330-350L of scoria, whatever that's worth from the landscape supplier, and 4x timbers for GB supports, ideally around 100 x 50mm or larger and 1.2m+ long, these can often be sourced for free.

You could build it for this amount initially, then while it's cycling, which would take probs 3-4 weeks, you could save up some coin and get a battery back-up air pump, so you have it by the time the system is ready for fingerlings.



I have thought about ibc but the ones avaible lately want a $100 for them and had engine oil in them. I have lack of space so about 1.4m wide. Im not sure about how big they are.

If i can get one hopefully i will need to measure it up see if would fit


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: need advice
PostPosted: Jun 24th, '18, 03:13 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 26th, '10, 07:17
Posts: 8645
Gender: Male
Are you human?: YES
Location: Oregon, USA
See if you have a local honey or syrup distributer/buyer/wholesaler - it may not be any cheaper to get an IBC but you'd be likely to find one that hadn't been used for anything other than syrup or honey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.080s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]