All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 08:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Wicking beds trended to place water storage in the bottom of the grow bed. then use dirt or some other medium to wick water upward.

What if we place the water storage on the side of the bed and use nylon cords to draw/wick water to the grow bed? Assuming the water storage is the same or slightly taller than the grow bed, nylon cord go from water tank, take a u-turn down the grow bed, then go horizon at the bottom of the grow bed. The exposed part of the cords protected by PVD pipe?

This way, the bed would be easier to build without the water storing space, an outboard water tank can be hooked to a self-leveling valve to keep water level constant. Heck if something goes wrong, one can see the water level, add ferting to the tank would be a breeze.

I am thinking to have water tank of both sides of say a 4'x8' bed, cord will go from tank on one side then the same cord will return to the water tank on the other side. Multiple of these cords of course.

Think it may work? How far can water wick in cord horizontally?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 09:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
toffee wrote:
Wicking beds trended to place water storage in the bottom of the grow bed. then use dirt or some other medium to wick water upward.

What if we place the water storage on the side of the bed and use nylon cords to draw/wick water to the grow bed? Assuming the water storage is the same or slightly taller than the grow bed, nylon cord go from water tank, take a u-turn down the grow bed, then go horizon at the bottom of the grow bed. The exposed part of the cords protected by PVD pipe?

This way, the bed would be easier to build without the water storing space, an outboard water tank can be hooked to a self-leveling valve to keep water level constant. Heck if something goes wrong, one can see the water level, add ferting to the tank would be a breeze.

I am thinking to have water tank of both sides of say a 4'x8' bed, cord will go from tank on one side then the same cord will return to the water tank on the other side. Multiple of these cords of course.

Think it may work? How far can water wick in cord horizontally?

Not a bad idea, but I would think that you would need something larger than nylon cords to service a 4' x 8' wicking bed. I would try large strips of Hessian/burlap rolled up and protected by your PVC pipes.

When I was working away from home for 6-10 weeks at a time I would place all my pot plants on the floor in the bathroom next to the bathtub, fill the tub with water and run cotton sash cord back from each pot plant into the bottom of the bathtub and place a brick on the ends of the sash cords.

After 6-10 weeks away from home the plants were always still alive and doing quite well when I got home.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 01:55 

Are you human?: YES
Probably could just have the reservoir with the correct water level and go from the side of the reservoir into the side of the wicking bed using some sort of soaker hose assembly (maybe in a pvc pipe to protect it from collapsing)(or do soaker hoses require water pressure to operate?).

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 03:01 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Really wondering how far water can wick in some sort of cloth or cord horizontally. I read that vertically it could go up 12-18” or so, horizontally?

If it won’t wick far enough, I suppose one could have say put a 2 gallon bottle at the mid way point. Of course the relay bottles can be connected to the tank so they self level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 08:20 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Probably could just have the reservoir with the correct water level and go from the side of the reservoir into the side of the wicking bed using some sort of soaker hose assembly (maybe in a pvc pipe to protect it from collapsing)(or do soaker hoses require water pressure to operate?).

Some online source said soaker hoses need minimum 25 psi to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 12:43 

Are you human?: YES
Hmm, I think back on using one a few years ago and once the pressure was off it would collapse so the water must still run out :? . Perhaps it would still function for this application but maybe more like a wick. There are different kinds, the one I had, looked like cloth so maybe they don't all function the same.

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 05:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I use a standard wicking bed, connected to a rain barrel via a bucket with a float valve to ensure the bed has constant level.

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 13:16 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Another main feature of a wicking bed, is that the plants draw their water below the surface and there is no salt or mineral deposits left on top of the soil to encourage insects & pests that occours with normal hosing.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ