All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Media Bio Filter Build
PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 17:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: been called worse
Can i be pointed in the right direction please?
Want to add a bio filter to my system as my future plans are to add another FT (IBC) for silver perch year round whilst the other FT will be for the trout season only. I have 2 x IBC media GBs but not a lot of room for anymore as the Boss doesn't want it to be an eyesore so I have to keep it all tidy. I might be able to squeeze 1 x more GB in but the other side where the new FT would go would have only 2-3 hours of winter daylight so not sure if much would grow. Im wanting to build a smallish bio filter of approx 20L bucket to see if I can actually do it and the space between FT & GBs isn't bugger all so in late spring I will move the FT over another metre when new FT goes online and then if I need to make a larger bio filter and RFF if needed. I have 15 trout and 5 silver perch in my 1500L system at the moment and the trout grow wicked fast but excrete it seems faster lol.
Where in Perth or WA can I get K1 media and is there somewhere that shows how much is required for what amount etc? And is a 20L bucket version OK to start with? Im not too sure on the plumbing side of it so need a few pics for help- if the SLO comes out of my FT can it go down below the GBs height into the Bio Filter and somehow pump itself up to the Grow Bed height for even distribution or is there some trick to this?
I searched for biofilter but holy$h!t 200+ pages to sort through-I'd lose my job just reading it all.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 19:05 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
If you go with a k1 type biofilter you could position it anywhere you can reach with pipe you don't need all your flow going through it just divert some flow to the filter and back , could be in the shed or tucked in a corner somewhere .

I set up a temporary extra biofilter when I needed it using a 500L tank stuffed full of Tuna Net (stuff I had lying around)

http://www.koiclubwa.com/showfilter.toy

For K1 in WA just do the google search thing "K1 media buy WA" sometimes I find hard to get items by looking in "Google Images"

Looks like the Koi shop people have it , lots of different types of artificial media

If all else fails ask in a Forum someone always knows someone

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 01:40 

Are you human?: YES
Different bio-media can filter different amounts of waste depending on the surface area and other factors (like temp) so I can't tell you for certain that a 20L bucket will give you enough. It also depends on how many fish you're planning to put in the system. This ebay sale will give you an idea on how many pounds of fish vs type of kaldness media (just click on "read full description") - https://www.ebay.com/i/162160799178?chn=ps&var=461133803614

If the fish tank water level is higher than the grow bed you can probably setup something. The surface of the water in the filter will have to be above the level in the grow bed that you want it to be distributed at. So part of the bucket has to be above the level of the grow bed distribution height or you'll need to pump water. You could connect the bucket with flexible pipe then raise or lower it and see what works.

I'm not sure what type of bio-filter you're thinking of building, might be good to clarify this.