All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New System Siphon Issue
PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 07:38 

Are you human?: YES
This is my first official system that I am trying to make as a hobby, to see if I can make it work before moving on to bigger projects with it. The system is a 10g tank with a 20"rectangular flower bed above. It has a 3/4" Bulkhead, and drain pipe, there is 1/2" tubing supplying the water. YouTube link to my system - https://youtu.be/-5FNYUjfG3k . (pictures wouldn't load)

Issue: I can get the bell siphon to initiate and drain all the way, but it will not break fully. It gets a burp and the fast drain stops but it keeps enough suction to keep draining and not fill back up. I have a ball valve and I have tried adjusting the water speed going in but I cannot seem to have any better luck whether it is fast or slow.

I would love any advice about what I have going on, Thanks!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 09:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Hey Waalker.... "Video removed by user" :dontknow: Ahh, the non breaking siphon, I've had that problem before. Been a while since I've bothered with siphons so trying to remember standard fixes. Can you lower the drain tube out the bottom of the siphon, make it longer? Perhaps put an elbow on the drain pipe with some horizontal pipe, then another elbow down. From memory these things can help break the siphon.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 16:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Best thing I recon is make another temporary "Bell" out of a large coke bottle (Transparent) so you can see whats happening

So for a siphon that starts ok but wont break

Reduce flow

Make sure there is enough flow through media guard (more holes)

Have holes up the side of your bell rather than notches on the bottom edge

Bells that are too small in diameter (not enough room between stand pipe and bell)

Not enough clearance between top of standpipe and the bell cap (I would start here)

Debate on this one goes on put a funnel shape on the top of the standpipe and increase bell diameter

Make sure your water return line back to sump / fish tank does NOT go uphill at any point

As above fiddle with elbows ect out the bottom

For real stubborn cases there are a couple of "Fixes" but lets not complicate it as I said build one you can see through and enjoy the challenge

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 18:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Of course as many people will tell you, siphons are really simple and easy.... :D

:laughing3:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 18:56 

My fault on the video, I tried to watch it and realized there was no sound so I made another, but the topic was not approved yet. Here is the link!
https://youtu.be/j1YBOPHtKWM

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 19:32 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Looks ok however the end of your return line is under water when a siphon breaks some of the air that breaks the siphon gurgles back up the pipe , if your worried about noise / splash drop the return into a size bigger pipe that stands in the corner of your tank

And you have notches on the bottom edge of your bell , once your system has some waste in the grow bed it will keep getting sucked up by the siphon and you will have murky water so holes up the side of your bell will deal with that issue

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 20:18 

Awesome, that is one theory I had was that my drain was under water but you are correct I am worried about noise because it sits in my Den. I will work with that piece at least. The holes is a good idea, I have only recently seen some with holes instead of the notches at the bottom. Thanks for the advice =)

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '18, 21:36 

Success!! Taking the drain pipe just above water level was the key!! Man, I could saved about $30 trying to modify this thing, I probably had it setup right to start but the pipe was in the water the whole time!! Thanks for the replies~~