All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '09, 23:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Depends
Hi guys,

I have got a question that would impact on my system expansion and I thought that it would be appropriate to ask the question here for some input...

Greenhouse for Perth weather. I am considering having a greenhouse but I am uncertain of the benefits that a greenhouse
would provide... All I know is that in winter, the temperatures in the greenhouse would be higher hence there is an ability to grow some crops that require higher temperatures than the winter temperature... How about in summer? I presume the temperatures will be higher to in the greenhouse?

We would like to have asian greens throughout the year if possible. So we are hoping that the greenhouse will provide the environment to grow them throughout the year...

Comments much appreciated.. Thanks.

My 3rd Future System - Expanding Now

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '09, 23:30 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
What are Perth winters like?
Where I am in Central Florida which is sub tropical, the ground stays warm and it never snows though we get frosts and sometimes hard freezes (several degrees below freezing for at least 4-6 hours which is usually when you see news about damage to the citrus crops.) Through winter we can go from days in the 26-30 C range to a sudden cold spell of a couple nights below 0 C and days below 12 C back up to 30 C a day later or we might have a whole week with highs below 15 C and nights below 5 C with a couple freeze nights in the middle (that nearly did in my tilapia even though we were doing lots of laundry and running the dryer late at night to pipe the hot moist air into the greenhouse and I was shutting off the pump over night and even resorted to trickling in warm water one night to keep the water over 12 C.)

I'm in Central Florida and for the winter I put sides on the cold frame structure over most of my system. I leave the ends fairly open except on freeze/frost warning nights.

Mainly this is to help keep the water a little warmer through the winter and protect the frost sensitive plants. The covering is simply plastic film. This is not enough protection to keep the water warm enough for tropical fish through winter without extra heating. and the plastic needs to come off the sides and tunnel for the warmer weather or I would be cooking the plants.

So, I suppose it would depend on the type of fish you wish to run and if you have any desire to grow some cool weather crops or not. I don't know the Perth Climate to really be much help to you though.

Tower System
PeePonics

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '09, 23:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I'm not sure what your weather is like, but my greenhouse extended the season by a couple of months on both sides of the growing season. If it's warm, make sure you have plenty of vent...these things get VERY hot.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BigelowBrook
Blog: http://web4deb.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 03:20 

Are you human?: no
Green house glass house your weather is like Melbourne
With my Eden glass house when its 8 deg overnight its 9 deg in the glasshouse without heating but when its 20 deg on a sunny day it could reach 35 deg in the glasshouse
so to get real benefit from a glasshouse you need to heat it over night
Just my 2 cents worth

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 04:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Well, in my opinion a greenhouse will extend the growing season through winter but for my purposes, I'm also hoping to extend the growing season through the hottest part of the summer (100+ degrees) by using venting (as mentioned before) but also whitewashing the entire outside to difuse the sunlight and reduce the heat penetrating inside. The whitewash fades in time and completely washes off with water. That and running DWC which will cool the water naturally should make my system viable for pretty much the entire season. Also the reduction of pests having access as well as predators like cats and fish eating birds make covering it with something almost a given.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 05:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

There's plenty of winter sun in Perth. IMHO you should just grow winter veg in winter, summer veg in summer, and dont worry about the greenhouse. (but perhaps a simple bit of shadecloth in the middle of summer might be helpful)

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 07:22 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

i'm thinking about building a green/shade house to, for a few reasons, 1 to stop strong winds damaging plants in summer, 2 keep out pests like cab moth ext, and better growing enviro through winter.

now i just need to find one that is cheep enough. part of an old grow tunel would be good.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 09:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Greenhouse works for me in Wollongong. Winter night time temps can get down to 7/8 degrees here but with the greenhouse closed up my water never got below 13/14. Most mornings it would be around 16 and would rise up to 18/20 during the day. Silvers kept feeding all through winter.

Summer time I open the doors and have shade cloth to pull over the top for the really hot days.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 20:10 
A posting God
A posting God

Well to be honest, until I got into AP, I was never a person who would pay much attention to the temperatures. It was either winter or summer, heating or cooling... but just guessing, I think winter temperatures at night average about 5-10 degC ... and it would be rare for temperatures to reach the high 20degC in the day... possibly average 15degC... sometimes temperature do reach 0degC, but not often during winter... if I am wrong, sorry...

But I suppose, what I was trying to establish if the greenhouse would allow me to grow crops that require some warm/heat to grow in winter... but from the sound of it, during the night it could be a problem without heating...

But I presume in general, a greenhouse should extend the growing seasons, both going into winter and coming out of winter... could start planting spring/summer crops earlier...

And yes, I certainly would be considering some form of shade over the greenhouse in summer...

Actually my original idea was only for crops, but having silver perches in a tank in the greenhouse sounds good as well...

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 20:20 
A posting God
A posting God

A well designed glasshouse / green house can make a HUGE difference in temps.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/resear ... 4-534.html

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 21:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Go and have a chat to Carl about his trial system at the BYAP shop, I am sure he could comment on how a full greenhouse works with the Perth environment and AP.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 22:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

You will extend you growing period quite a lot with a green house but you will need to shade it in summer or you will cook everything including you fish.If you check on my thread you will see how I do mine .You pull it up with a rope and when you want it out you pull on the shade cloth to pull it out and leave the rope there.

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '09, 22:59 
A posting God
A posting God

Burnsy, yes I have seen Carl's greenhouse before... I think there was even some information on how well growth is somewhere... but yes, sound like a good idea to visit the shop to find out how is it like in summer...

Dbird, I have briefly seen your greenhouse in the past. Actually my greenhouse would be tiny compared to yours... But yes, I will review your system thread to see how you have done the shading... Thanks... Will PM if I need further clarifications...

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '09, 09:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

ivansng wrote:
But I suppose, what I was trying to establish if the greenhouse would allow me to grow crops that require some warm/heat to grow in winter... but from the sound of it, during the night it could be a problem without heating...

But I presume in general, a greenhouse should extend the growing seasons, both going into winter and coming out of winter... could start planting spring/summer crops earlier...

And yes, I certainly would be considering some form of shade over the greenhouse in summer...

Actually my original idea was only for crops, but having silver perches in a tank in the greenhouse sounds good as well...

Definitely extends the growing season at both ends for tomatoes. Some of mine overwintered and started cropping in September.

As mentioned above, shade is a good thing.

Having the fish tank inside the greenhouse is a good idea. The water captures the heat of the day and keeps everything warm through the night.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '09, 11:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

ivansng wrote:
Burnsy, yes I have seen Carl's greenhouse before... I think there was even some information on how well growth is somewhere... but yes, sound like a good idea to visit the shop to find out how is it like in summer.....

I visited last summer and lost a few kilos walking through it, was very warm

When I worked with the Ag Dept we use to have big climate control tunnels in the middle of padocks so we could control watering for early sowing trials. The plastic hung from the frame on cables and could be drawn back and forward like a curtain dependant on weather using a cable winch. I reckon the ideal greenhouse would be set up like this with a clear plastic curtain one end and 30% shade cloth the other so you could seal it up as a plastic glasshouse in winter and draw that back and pull across the shade cloth in summer.