All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '11, 10:00 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I prefer to call it "the rolly thing", I think the word "wheel" is vulgar and disgusting. :thumbleft:

Profile Personal album  

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '13, 02:29 

Are you human?: yes
Hey people salutations. For me I believe the greatest benefit by far of the chop2 is being able to have my GBs on my flat concrete roof top while I keep both my FT and ST at ground level. This setup suites me because it has a dual benefit: first it saves my limited yard space and second it should keep my home a little cooler from the intense tropical sun of my location.
I've seen YouTube videos of people adding simple DIY filtration within the sump tank that simplify cleanup and improve overall ecological conditions for both fish and plants.
So that’s what I started to do, add filtration, the water runs clean two both the FT and GBs. I made 3 different types of filters with common house hold materials such as the 5 gallon bucket; they are placed within the sump tank and they remove the solids, than denitrify, and finally nitrify the water before its pumped back to the FT and GB's. I’m guessing I can do without the trickle filter if I substitute it for grow towers but I really don’t know yet.
It’s still a work in progress, but not filtering the water and letting the GB's do all the filtration will eventually and inevitably result in clogging the GB's no matter which chop version you prefer. I see the grow beds as a place that I want to avoid disturbing as much as possible, analogous to that which is avoided in permaculture with not tilling the soil. This is just my humble opinion. I don’t have the experience to conclude anything. I’m not familiar much with the earlier chop designs. I’ve already learned some helpful things here and I know I will learn much more with all the insight being shared. I congratulate you all for taking the time to share your experiences, that’s nice.

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '13, 21:29 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Quote:
I made 3 different types of filters with common house hold materials such as the 5 gallon bucket; they are placed within the sump tank and they remove the solids, than denitrify, and finally nitrify the water before its pumped back to the FT and GB's.

@Acuaponia.TV How has your filtration in your sump tank been working since your last post? Do you have any pictures or a thread of this?

I also have a "proof of concept" basement system where my FT overflows into a ST then pumps up into my grow beds. I guess this is referred to as CHOP 2, but anyone please correct me if I am wrong. My plan is to add a 5 gallon bucket swirl filter inside my sump tank to help separate the solids. I'm not convinced yet if it will be worth the effort or make much of a difference and was curious to find someone else doing the same thing.

Basement System 3 - NFT 30 Gallon System
Breeding/Brood Tanks

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 07:17 

Acuaponia.TV wrote:
For me I believe the greatest benefit by far of the chop2 is being able to have my GBs on my flat concrete roof top while I keep both my FT and ST at ground level.

Why wouldnt you just pump from your FT and return to your FT? I see no point of a ST in this scenario. So nup, dont see any benefit here.

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 07:52 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Yep, no need for a sump if the growbeds are above the fish tank

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 08:23 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

No real need for CHOPII.... ever... :lol:

Fresh By Nature - Distributor of Aquaponic Systems and Products in NSW
http://www.freshbynature.com.au

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 10:58 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
I had this kind of setup in the basement, FT to sump, pumping to beds with siphons back to the FT. But I had another pump in the sump going up and outside to a separate plant loop, with the plant loop water overflowing back to the original sump. So the sump was there to handle the level fluctuations, so it was worthwhile for that. Having the FT overflow to the sump made the sump pretty messy with solids and it took me swirling the water around at feeding time to get the solids to go into the pump and out of there.

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 15:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes, arent we all ?
I like the sump as an optional extra, because it increases overall water volume and because it keeps the pump out of the FT.

fish pond
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16559

disasters
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14491&start=30

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 15:41 

Dave Donley wrote:
Having the FT overflow to the sump made the sump pretty messy with solids and it took me swirling the water around at feeding time to get the solids to go into the pump and out of there.

Apparently... the solids being lifted from the fish tank... and settling out in the sump... was an unforeseen consequence of CHOPII..... :lol:

Quote:
we have discovered that the sump itself acts as a settling tank for solids, something that we didn’t expect to see and something that has never happened under the old CHOP system.

Like... I know aquaponics is "magic".... but where the bloody hell did he expect the solids to go..... :lol:

So... in fact... CHOPII wasn't really a thought out design.... it was just kind of "suck it & see".... "how good is that!!!"...... :D

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 15:47 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes, arent we all ?
Love that Magic, :funny1: just cant get enough. I'll have to go back over there for another dose and check out whats new and exciting in AP. :whistle:

fish pond
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16559

disasters
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14491&start=30

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 15:56 

You'd probably be disappointed BF.... some of the magic seems to have gone...

Aquaponics is no longer the "natural".. or "balanced".... or even "naturally balanced"... eco-system... that it once was purported to be....

Now it's just a run of the mill eco-system... comprised of organic & inorganic organisms.... like it always was.... :lol:

Oh... and just the same as RAS has always been..... yet somehow (magically) different....:lol:

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '13, 17:50 

Are you human?: most of the time...
veggie boy wrote:
Reality is that it has been used in aquaculture for ever and a day. Not invented by anybody here - but first introduced here by MF.

The nature of human intelect is such that people will keep reinventing the same things, without knowledge previous existence.

You can only imagine my shock when I realised that I was not the first to have thought of what I now know as "the wheel" (when I first came up with the idea I was calling it "the cornerless", which I think has a much better ring to it) :dontknow: :bootyshake:

Just picked myself back up off the floor. :notworthy: