All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '17, 02:19 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
It look like some sort of mold? Its thin white and hair like. Any ideas what it is? How to get rid of it (that wont' hurt fish/plants)?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '17, 02:50 

Probably mold. Looks like you have the water level set too high. Lower the water level so that the surface of the media isn't damp and while it will likely still be there you won't see it. Some of these organisms are good guys and some aren't but having some in a biofilter is normal. If you find seedlings die and fall over or never get started it might be because of the mold. If that happens start your seedlings elsewhere in sterile media and move them over when they are bigger and the mold has more problems penetrating the stem.

FYI - most things you could do to get rid of it would probably harm the biofilter. You'll probably find that even if this is a problem mold you can start seedlings in system during warmer weather (once the water warms up).

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '17, 22:33 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Probably mold. Looks like you have the water level set too high. Lower the water level so that the surface of the media isn't damp and while it will likely still be there you won't see it. Some of these organisms are good guys and some aren't but having some in a biofilter is normal. If you find seedlings die and fall over or never get started it might be because of the mold. If that happens start your seedlings elsewhere in sterile media and move them over when they are bigger and the mold has more problems penetrating the stem.

FYI - most things you could do to get rid of it would probably harm the biofilter. You'll probably find that even if this is a problem mold you can start seedlings in system during warmer weather (once the water warms up).

thank you for the info!

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '17, 08:14 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

while I haven't IDed the mold i know where its coming from.. my pepper seeds! sprouting seeds on paper towels in tuperware (which i do for 90% of my plants) I'm seeing the same mold on the pepper seeds but never seen ti on my otehr plants so the seeds must have gotten wet at some point I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '17, 08:42 

Sometimes seedlings are deliberately inoculated with beneficial organisms but I'm guessing that's not what's going on with this batch. Might want to check the package just to see.