PostPosted: Nov 8th, '10, 15:20 

Are you human?: YES
Ok, thanks guys.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '10, 16:30 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
I dont think we need to worry too much about surface area of the media becuase even the UVI sytem with no gravel had enough surface area for nitrification. Surface area is a concern in AQ becuase they are trying to minimise the size of bio filters.

The surface area that is important for a balanced system is the growing area. The volume of the gbs is important so that there is enough space to retain/store the solids and provide a habitat for the beasties that eat them.

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '11, 12:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
A quick note to everyone who might be using Wilsons design calculator. I received an email from him yesterday saying that there was a slight error in one area of his calculator. His comments were as follows:

Quote:
I was doing some system modelling today and as i always suspected, I finally came across a problem with my backyard aquaponic system design tool.

Basically, the calculator was outputting an incorrect biofilter size. This will be of little issue to most people as this is only really used for systems with a minimal media bed used solely for biofiltration requirement as the rest of the system is deep flow or NFT.

However, this also mean't the calculator was outputting the incorrect flow rate required for the system and an incorrect updated fish tank volume (due to compensation for the flood volume to the bed when in flood or ebb mode).

As I say, this doesn't affect the rest of the calculator and will mean little to almost all backyard users.

I have corrected the problem(s) and have uploaded the corrected calculators (work books) (Metric and Imperial) to my web site.

The new version is available on his website, and from the initial links at the start of this thread.

Thanks Wilson..

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: May 2nd, '12, 14:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wilson asked me to post up here and let people know he has updated his calculator, so if you use it, you might want to download it again.. :)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jan 31st, '13, 06:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hey there fellas,

I was checking out Willson's calculator and I've been quite surprised by the low flow and GB volume values.
If I put in my system that has 1m3 FT with fish density of 20kg/m3, it gives me 6,8m2 of GB requirement and 34 L of biofilter(i'm assuming that's the deep water culture tank) and a flow rate of 350 litres/h.

I'm not trying to disregard Willson's but I know from experience with my little system that a 350 l/h water flow would definitely kill everything in sight. The solids removal capability would be close to 0 and my FT would look like a thick soup.
I have a 8m2 GB surface and even that get's clogged with fish waste in about a year (carps are dirty yes).

The only way I see this working is with massive areators (preferalby oxygenators) and a really good mechanical filter (drum filter, solids settler...things like that).

This summer I did a stupid mistake and I lost more then half of the really good sized carps. I was left with 8 kg of fish. And the system had no problem in producing the same amount of greens, the Nitrate leves were still maintained at 50mg/l and everything flourished.

According to the UVI system and Wilsons calculator, I could only support 2m2 of greens with that.

Now I've read several experiences from commercial AP growers that even with lower stocking rates the plants were doing fine and that there's a choice in either more fish oriented AP or more plants oriented AP.

I'm working on a commercial size AP as we speak and this calculator kinda rocked my mind and totally contradicts my experiences.

What are your thoughts on this regarding to your experiences?

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '13, 09:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've never really tried it.. :dontknow: Perhaps he has a newer version on his site? Personally I don't think that a simple calculator can give the answers most people are after, and if they are after those sort of answers, then they generally have the knowledge to work it out themselves.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 19th, '13, 17:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I've read a lot of info that he's put on and I now understand from which standpoint is he coming from.

Our DIY hobby systems and his proposed commercial sized systems are from two different worlds. I definitely have gained a lot of useful info from his site. I will check myself on the sizing of the gravel filtration but everything else...i can say just hats off to mr. Lennard!

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '13, 06:59 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

There are some useful fact sheets available from Wilson's site as well as the Calculator. The Fact Sheets are at Wilson's Fact Sheets and here are The Calculators

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '13, 09:06 

I think this topic should be pinned. Great info

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '16, 02:44 

This is a great tool! Does it work for ponds instead of fish tanks? I'm currently trying to design a pond aquaponic system in Uganda.

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '17, 04:09 

Ooooh this is cool!

PostPosted: May 19th, '17, 11:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Moderators could this be put up somewhere important...like "read this first...before!!!!!!! registration

PostPosted: May 20th, '17, 12:49 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Bump

PostPosted: May 20th, '17, 15:15 

It looks like it's the first unlocked post in this section of the forum and the whole section is listed as useful information - seems like it's in a pretty good spot as it is.