All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 5th, '20, 00:44 

Are you human?: YES
Hi to everyone here,( First-post Newby)

I am so new to Aquaponics and would like to go commercial. I am still planning/designing my whole system , but get stuck on the following. Being through a lot of info in the past 3 months ..
I would like to know if I add a grow media system to act as an additional filter to my Mineralisation and my Flow settler filters, are there any percentage to the size of my dwc to the media bed to be build...

At the moment , I have my ratio for 8 Sq/m of dwc to 1 sq/m media filter . . . . any one done the system like this before??

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '20, 15:01 

Hmm, can't recall ever seeing any set ratio of one to the other for this. The main thing is that you want to have adequate filtration based on the number of fish you have while at the same time providing enough nutrients for the plants. You are looking to remove the fine suspended particles that can coat the plant roots before they reach the DWC. You also want to turn over the DWC water about once per hour and same with the fish tank.

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '20, 13:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Was just thinking about that. Odd you mentioned it. I personally think it would work but would be technical challenge at the commercial level. I am just a hobbiest though. I think the problem with commercial would be the timing and size. For a small setup of 400 gallon tank into two grow beds then a race way would be easy and effective. There is also no guarantee the settles will he removed.

If you are dealing with 800+ gallon tank and a race way. Well those poor little media beds are going to be going off like crazy.

You can always make a few cheap filters. Use a swirl filter into settling filter into a bioreactor and in to a clarified before hitting the race way. Those 4 would cost less or equal than four media beds.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk