All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 00:07 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
hi all
i make experiment to increase nitrifying bacteria in 20 litre pail i put mesh and make siphon system every three minute .and no smell for nitrifying as i wish , so i think that the bacteria drown and die it must be i mean siphon system faster to fill and empty the pail...what do you think

the pail is seperated and hanged on my 200 litre fish tank

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 00:45 

Are you human?: YES
Hi Bakir,

It's not clear what you used to feed the nitrifying bacteria? I doubt the bacteria died as long as the water was oxygenated. Did you inoculate the water or were you just relying on the bacteria to come from the surroundings (sounds like maybe the water is coming from the system but I'm not sure)?

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 01:27 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hi scotty
i have very good reading for amonia ,nitrie,nitrate in my NFT system .i pump the water from the bottom of fish tank ..all that expernment to see if i can increase the bacteria to low ph naturally .

thank you

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 01:56 

Sorry but I've got a lot of questions Bakir. How long have you done the experiment for? Are you only going by smell and pH to see if nitrification is going on? What level are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and water temperature? The bacteria you want will be there it may take a long time for them to get going and depending on the size of the filter bucket in relation to how much waste they have to process, they may not make much difference in your levels. If you have something counteracting the pH change (like Calcium carbonate in the media) you might not see a pH change for a long time.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 02:13 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

it was for 10 days, in the last year i smell very nice smell of bacteria ..in my system amonia =zero,nitrite = zero,nitrate=25 ,PH=7.9 temp=30c

please watch this video,is this the best bio filter to make bakteria breath and increase

https://youtu.be/0-7susYDwFc

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 02:49 

You need to give your filter more time. It can sometimes take a month or more for the bacteria to get established sufficiently to cycle the nutrients.

That's not a simple question - A lot of different filters will work for processing ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. The video is one type, called a trickling filter that pretty much guarantees that you'll have plenty of oxygen getting to the bacteria and not as much anaerobic processing which might lose some of the nutrients. This was an excellent choice by Paul, it's an old style filter, fairly low tech but very good for this application. It has the advantage of oxygenating the water for his Deep Water Culture beds (DWC) as well as encouraging straight aerobic growth. It does take a bit more space than some but there's not much of a downside. Solids passing through might be an issue and I'm not sure how he's handling these. Having a grow bed before your DWC is similar if you spread the flow out but the way his is setup blockage with solids won't be an issue (like it would be in a grow bed) - carryover of solids into the DWC might be though.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '16, 10:12 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thank you scotty