All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Talapia Wana be
PostPosted: Aug 21st, '17, 09:03 

Are you human?: Yes
I may new here, I live in northern Alberta 57 deg north. I'm wondering, my indoor space is limited. I could find space for 2 toats and a few 200 litre barrels, and maybe a few fish tanks. But that's not big enough space for much of a finished crop. So I'm thinking if I could use the indoor area as breeding and rear several hundred to a certain size say 3-4 inch. This processed would be perfectly timed for our spring and summer, 110 days. At which time these fishes would go out to a multitude of awaiting out door tanks where they would grow to a finishing size and then off to market. My wife is philipino and there is a large comunity here. That would be an instant market for there national fish. Several of the remaining stock could back indoors to grow even larger for our consumption. This process would start all over next late winter . I'm just looking into this as extra income so I can eat fish and not have to eat cat Food! Ha Ha!

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Talapia Wana be
PostPosted: Aug 22nd, '17, 10:48 

Are you human?: Yes
Ok i guess my question was a bit vague. If I used 225 gal toats how many fish could I raise from 3-4 inch to finish weight. Say 1-1 1/2 lb. How long dose it take to get from 4 inch to 1 1.5 lb how much rock garden would I need for 1000 to 1500 fish. I guess if someone can point me in the right direction I'm sure I'll have more questions . Thank u

Post subject: Re: Talapia Wana be
PostPosted: Aug 25th, '17, 02:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Typical fish stocking max is 1lb per 5 gal water. So if you want 1.5 lb fish at harvest in 225 gals water then stock 30 fish and let them grow.

The next typical ratio is 1:1 fish tank (FT) to media growbeds (GB) for proper biofiltration. If you want 1000 - 1500 fish to mature at the same time, that's quite a large system. Otherwise you may have two grow out tanks with 30 fish each and one juvenile tank with 60 fish, and an aquarium with 60 fry for example. Then about every 3-6 months you harvest and move the smaller fish up to the bigger tanks.

I stock about 40 tilapia in my 250 gal IBC (200 gal GBs), and 150 catfish in my 800 gal pond (900 gal GBs and 200 gal DWC).

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.