All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: anybody in Texas
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '13, 00:44 

Are you human?: YES
I'm inside Dallas, In between the Tollway and Lovefield airport. I don't have any AP systems, but I have hydroponic systems. I'm still learning about AP and would love to see some setups in my area.

System Thread: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19681

Useful Links | Chlorophyll Absorbtion Spectrum | | Hydroponic Vegetable PH/PPM/CF Chart|

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 2nd, '14, 06:56 

I'm a very newbie to BYAP and AP in general. I'm in Austin Texas (very south Austin). I'm in the process of setting up my first small AP. I've got it plumbed with water flowing up and down.

Tomorrow I'll be putting in my first gold fish and my first plants.

If there is anyone in the Austin area doing AP I would love to see your system. My kids are very excited about AP!

PostPosted: May 14th, '14, 03:10 

Are you human?: yes
I'm in Baytown, just East of Houston. I have a 3x6 media bed and 15 tilapia. I am cycled and growing.
I'm going to add wicking bed next, but I have a very basic question. As the water level in the reservoir falls away from the shade cloth, how does it get from, say, half way down the rock filled reservoir all the way up to the shade cloth to continue to wick into the soil? It seems that as soon as the surface of the water falls away from contact with the shade cloth, the wicking would stop.

PostPosted: Jun 10th, '14, 22:52 

New to the Forum. We are in the North Dallas Metroplex. My husband and I are trying our hand at aquaponics after hearing about it through our church which hopes to set up a large system to help with their food pantry. However, our church has to go through a lot of city codes and such in order to get their system up and running.
My husband visited and talked with Frank from Frank's Aquaponics, and has since proceeded to set up a system in our back yard. It is small since we live in the city and our yard is not very big. :( We currently have about 15 Mozambique Tilapia growing in a 210 gallon pond outside with a small grow bed. We also have a 55 gallon tank inside trying to grow some of the smaller tilapia and a male and few females to breed.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '14, 00:55 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Predominantly
1luckeyfish wrote:
New to the Forum. We are in the North Dallas Metroplex. My husband and I are trying our hand at aquaponics after hearing about it through our church which hopes to set up a large system to help with their food pantry. However, our church has to go through a lot of city codes and such in order to get their system up and running.
My husband visited and talked with Frank from Frank's Aquaponics, and has since proceeded to set up a system in our back yard. It is small since we live in the city and our yard is not very big. :( We currently have about 15 Mozambique Tilapia growing in a 210 gallon pond outside with a small grow bed. We also have a 55 gallon tank inside trying to grow some of the smaller tilapia and a male and few females to breed.

Welcome aboard!

I have small systems in North Dallas and in Frisco, and have been known to give away IBC totes on occasion (when I have spares and nobody leaping to buy them). Please let me know if you or your church could use one, because I'll probably have one or two next week that I could donate.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '14, 08:23 

Shelgeyr wrote:
I have small systems in North Dallas and in Frisco, and have been known to give away IBC totes on occasion (when I have spares and nobody leaping to buy them). Please let me know if you or your church could use one, because I'll probably have one or two next week that I could donate.

:wave1: Thanks! and Howdy neighbor. I'm in The Colony, but didn't think anyone would know where that is.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '14, 10:18 

Are you human?: Yes
Humphs wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm newbie to AP and even newer to BYAP. Having set up a simple single ICB FT and GB some months back it looks like it will have to go to a new home shortly. Come January we'll be moving to Houston and I'm keen to connect with some locals to hear about local conditions and suppliers as I am keen to carry on in the new location. It will probably take me a few months to find a house and settle into work and family life before I go setting up a new system but no harm planning ahead....

Therefore if you happen to be in Houston/Texas or know of members that are can you drop me the info. Appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Ps. Can you search for member's locations on BYAP? I haven't figured it out if you can. Thanks

Well, we arrived in Houston at the end of January and have settled in to Fall Creek (just off 59 North inside the SH Beltway). I'm now In the process of setting up the new APS. It comprises two 275gl IBC fish tanks, two 100gl grow beds, another IBC cut in half as a sump, 55gl swirl filter and five x 20' runs of 4" pvc for grow channels. Ended up using rainbow gravel for the grow medium. Having been getting pumps and fittings from Allied Aqua, which has been good as I'm struggling to find the pvc and poly fittings I need off the shelf in Houston. If anyone has any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post some photos once it is fully up and running and has cycled. If anyone is interested and in the neighbourhood I'd be happy to chat and exchange ideas.

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '14, 10:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Cylon
Just moved back to Texas, I am in Palestine.

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '14, 20:11 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Cool, I live in Latexo, just a little south of you Kachok. I go to Palestine fairly often.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 03:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Cylon
SWEET!! We will have to meet up sometime.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 05:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I am about an hour north of y'all.

Been meaning to duck hunt lake Palestine, just haven't had the chance

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 05:18 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

If you all are ever in South Texas I am in Weslaco. I have a 3000 gal system here with plans on potentially adding another 9000 gal starting 2015 if all goes as planned.

http://www.GreenMountainAquaponics.com

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 06:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

1EyedTuna, I just looked at your site. Very nice, do you have a build thread on here

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 09:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Kachok wrote:
SWEET!! We will have to meet up sometime.

Sounds good. Wife had to run to lowes tonight, so she went up to palestine.

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 09:43 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

East wrote:
I am about an hour north of y'all.

Been meaning to duck hunt lake Palestine, just haven't had the chance

I gave up duck hunting not long after steel shot became mandatory. Mainly just deer hunt now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next