All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Aug 17th, '08, 07:41 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It looks like the upper and lower lethal temps are 36C and 8C. You might need mid twenties to get reasonable growth though.
I reckon if they`re a legal species it won`t matter where you keep them :wink:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 17th, '08, 07:54 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

That was my thought - basically as long as they're not in a pond I think that counts. Inside (Greenhouse) Aquariam (Tank) should be fine!

Now I just have to re-jig all my plans to cope with trying to grow rainbow trout (like it chilly) and Red Claw (prefer it tropical)

:D

Our Energy Descent plan, Aquaponics, and everything we're doing to the house & garden: Trafford Eco-House

PostPosted: Sep 28th, '08, 23:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Are you Eurpoean aquaponics people still out there?
Just been reading through the blog with interest, I work with the Institute of Aquaculture at Sirling University (I see there was references made to hear a few pages back)
Anyway through the institute of aquaculture, we’re looking at setting up a European wide aquaponics support network, on a not for profit basis, and supplying equipment and seed (fish) supplies to aquaponics ventures. (there’s also interest in taking a UK consortium of expertise to develop low tech models for sub-Saharan Africa, but that’s another issue)
We’re currently building a three greenhouse based systems in Yorkshire and have increasing interest to get these systems out there into schools and community projects. I started a thread on the commercial aquaponics page outlining the idea. I also have a renewable energy company and with industry support we came up with an energy efficient greenhouse based system utilising air to water source heat pumps for heating, cooling and heat recovery, anyway we now have a range of different sized systems that we’re looking to supply to schools, families, community organisations and SMEs on a not for profit basis, feeding any profits back into research and development.
We intend to also apply for regional pools of funding to which interested and appropriate organisations can apply to to subsidise their system.
Anyway we’re developing the website www.aquaponics.org.uk to provide regional contacts and develop a network, and the grand plan is that the automated data collection built into the controls of each aquaponics greenhouse, will feed data onto the website (even webcam streaming ) so we can all be kept up to date and informed, that will also provide a backbone to research activities and efficiency assessments.
So thats the plan, with regards to getting tilapia – no problem at all, give me a buzz and I’ll sort you out, but in return we’d need feedback on how they are used and how they perform (even how they taste!)
So thats the deal at the moment, I’ll be on the forums here quite regularily if I can be of help, my back ground in a degree in marine and freshwater biology, a masters in Aquaculture and just about to submit my PhD thesis after 5 years research, I’ve worked on integrated farming systems all over the place, including the UVI systems and some AST technologies we developed in Thailand – that reminds me if any one wants a large amount of tilapia, check out NamSai Farms in Thailand, run by Warren Turner an ex stirling guy, they ship all over the world (in numbers) tell him Charlie sent you, but pls for smaller amounts perhaps best to contact me.
Look forward to hearing from you
charlie

Current systems in development:
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4217

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 04:34 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

have so far missed this thread somehow
anybody else from Belgium?

frank

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 04:49 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

hi Charlie,
I am very interested in any European Aquaponics initiative
please explain to me why clicking on the link you provide so far only leads to a purely commercial site that refers in no way to aquaponics
I have an open mind, so don't worry

frank

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 05:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

HI frank

explained quite simply by the fact that i've bourght the domain, but haven't set up the hosting or site yet as its very early days.

The general idea is to have a not for profit development entity that is contributed to (not financially) by academic institutions (such as the Institute of Aquaculture here at Stirling)

There are three main prongs to the proposed project:
1 . Support and development of small to medium sized commercial systems (across eurpope) - we're not attempting large scale systems as we think its quite obvious that on that scale it cant compete with either aquaculture of hydroponics systems)
2. Support and supply of greenhouse based systems to schools, colleges, community projects, families and primary care (hospitals/prisons etc) using renewable energy systems for low impact localised food production.
3. developing low tech systems for developing world contexts, contributing to food security, sustainable food production and resource utilisation.

to give you an idea on progress and infastructure for the above:
1. we're networking ideas with prospective resrecah organisations, with a view to submit a proposal in the EU FP7 call. Looking to explore current systems, examine viability and promote 'best practice' systems across europe
to build on the capacity for localised high value food production with low water and energy requirements.
2. we're applying to a number of funding organisations, (governmental and non governmental) as well as corporate social responsibility funds to establish pools of regional funds for schools and community organisations accross the UK to install a system into their premises (subsidised)- support would then be provided for initial operation and training as well as providing educational resource packs. Data collected would be collated on the project website for all to see. (applied for a start up grant with the Millenium fund and find out on the 7th oct if i get it, then the website will be developed)
3. Potential support from the British government to identify business/enterprise models in Africa (aquaculture and Aquaponics) and then promote these systems accross the continent through collaboration with grass roots level projects and support. We also have an MSc student i supervised last year doing pre-PhD reserach over in Thailand looking at developing low tech aquaponics systems.

Thats the plan.... aplogies for the link not working, i didnt mean for it to be activated, in fact i shouldn't have mentioned it, but hey ho...

Can you tell me what your up to in Belgium, also if you know of any people who would be suitable to collaborate on the above mentioned innitiative..

kind regards
charlie

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 05:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Charlie,
thanks for a quick and honest answer
I am only a very small fish concerning AP
but I am building a pilot project that will include most of the possibilities side by side
all on personal funding (helped by the bank)

I happen to be also the owner of quite a few European aquaponics websites as well:
www.aquaponics.eu,
www.aquaponics.be
www.aquaponics.nl
www.aquaponics.de

and of:
www.ecofishfarms.com
www.ecofishfarms.eu,
www.ecofishfarms.be
ww.ecofishfarms.nl
www.ecofishfarms.de
www.ecofishfarms.co.uk

So far I have kept them sleeping for over two years as I didn't think me ready.
I paid for them merely to protect the notion of aquaponics from commercial exploitation.
that is why I take offense with what is happening with aquaponics.org.uk

as said, I have an open mind
so we should continue to converse with each other

friendly greetings

frank

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 07:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Quote:
that is why I take offense with what is happening with aquaponics.org.uk

???? :?

not sure what you mean, what exactly do you take offence to, either with aquaponics.org.uk or what i am proposing.

if aquaponics in general cant be commercially viable then it cant be sustainable. It can be a great hobby and lots of fun, but unless the system can "produce" then its of limited value. But however, we all know it can be productive therefore why shouldn't people produce a net gain of food (exploitation) in a more resource efficient manner.

just googled definition for exploitation as a noun and found this first off
Quote:
Noun 1. exploitation - the act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful;

so if the commercial exploitation you refer to involves making resources more profitable for the people who farm/utilise them, then i put my hands up and confess i'm all for it. :cheers:

There are applications in many parts of the developing world were the ability to commercially exploit a food production system is deemed vital for their survival, why therefore are you so against this notion of profiting from natural resources, provided its conducted sustainably (economically, socially and environmentally)

anyway apologies for the rant.. but i think you've got the wrong end of the stick,

kind regards
charlie

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 09:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Take me to ya leader
Does this mean all the stuff I've been reading in this forum is subject to be copywrited and or patented by someone starting a busness venture???

The purpose of the media is to provide vasoline.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6945

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 10:22 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Charlie wrote:
if aquaponics in general cant be commercially viable then it cant be sustainable. It can be a great hobby and lots of fun, but unless the system can "produce" then its of limited value. But however, we all know it can be productive therefore why shouldn't people produce a net gain of food (exploitation) in a more resource efficient manner.

Not sure I entirely agree with you there Charlie.... certainly a matter of perspective (and scale) I suggest...

Definitely, to be sustainable from a business perspective... it must be commercially viable...

But from a household perspective, may be termed viable in comparison to cost of food production against food purchase, cost of fuel to purchase food etc...

Even if it takes more time to "break even" than acceptable in terms of a "commercial" venture...

And it's certain sustainable and "environmentally" friendly ...

Scale is important... and probably beyond the backyard in terms of sheer profitability...

But if every backyard was producing their own food, or at least a large portion of it... then it most certainly is "sustainable" and worthwhile from both a personal and global perspective IMO...

"Value" may be limit in a commercial sense... but in a personal sense... good clean food, good health etc.... priceless... :wink:

And if it sticks it to the "commercial" food monopolies with their inflated prices and often dodgy and definitely "unsubstainable" practices... great... it might bring the prices of food down... return more to the growers... and return more power to the "people".... :wink:

Stress... have no problem with what you're doing at all or your intentions... at least you're up front and aren't bullshitting anyone about your motivations... go for it....

BRB... it was once said the "knowledge is free and the province of all mankind" ... may still be the case... if you can afford the litigation .... :wink: :lol:

Frank... perhaps you could buy the domain name from Charlie... or sell those you've registered to his organisation.... :wink:

Fresh By Nature - Distributor of Aquaponic Systems and Products in NSW
http://www.freshbynature.com.au

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 11:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

BatonRouge Bill wrote:
Does this mean all the stuff I've been reading in this forum is subject to be copywrited and or patented by someone starting a busness venture???

You can use patent info to make something for yourself..as long as you don`t try to market it they won`t set their lawyers on you :wink:

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 18:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

thanks all for comments, my concept it designed to be a commercial enterprise so i have to say i dont understand what all the fuss is about.
We are looking to apply for reqionaly government funding (and some coporate "guilt" money) to help shcools, families and community organisations to get growing.
The reality of our climate means heating is required, therefore capital costs a trade off to running costs, and thus investement is often required to ensure low running costs and efficiency.

anyway we are looking to developed NOT FOR PROFIT initaiative, ie its exactly the same model as your backyard aquaponics systems, you grow and harvest and your produce is feed back into your houses,... same with our reserach and development plans.

sure BYA is great, but dont you all thinkwe'd be missing abtrcik if we didnt try and get it addopted more widely?

best wishes to all you cynics out there..

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 18:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

maybe a freudian typo -

"should read--- is not designed to be a commercial enterprise

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 18:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Codi is that you?

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbbb/

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '08, 20:34 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Quote:
not sure what you mean, what exactly do you take offence to, either with aquaponics.org.uk or what i am proposing.

I have no problem at all with commercial applications of AP as I am starting one myself

I do have a problem with a link like www.aquaponics.org.uk
which leads to a site that has nothing whatsoever to do with aquaponics
that is what I call commercial exploitation of AP

application and exploitation to me are very different

you dodge that question
which doesn't inspire confidence

however, as said, I have an open mind
and give everybody the benefit of the doubt

you might have your reasons for this situation

a European Aquaponics Society sounds very attractive to me
so let's keep discussing

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next