All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Phoenix Folks?
PostPosted: Aug 25th, '17, 04:09 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello all,

I am brand new to this stuff though I did grow up on a farm in upstate NY. Long story short I am looking to grow a few fish and have a few grow beds in my garage, I may consider putting a system along the side of the house but that would be down the road. Anyway, I want to grow things like pickling cucumbers and peppers, and some super greens like kale and spinach etc.

In my mind I think I could easily put in an IBC tank for the fish and have a couple grow beds made from cut drums or maybe just do a chop and flip IBC system to get started and see how it goes from there but I am not really all that sure yet. If anyone is in the area and willing to let me see your setup and ask questions like the brain dead fool I can be I would greatly appreciate it.

Backstory on the reason: I don't really buy into all the GMO hate or love on either side, I go organic when I can but the price of produce kills my soul a little bit more every time and I love to cook good food. I hate buying "fresh" herbs that go bad within a day or two, lettuce that is already wilted, peppers that aren't really crisp etc. I figured I would look into hydroponics, and while my (minimal) understanding is that it is easier to get going it isn't a closed or nearly closed loop which is what I like about the idea of AP. And while I am not a big fish fan I wouldn't mind being able to have some truly fresh fish a couple times a year with the wife and the little monster.

Suggestions, help whatever would be great! I have been pricing this stuff out and while I can do all the piping and get the pumps pretty darn cheap, I cant find reliable totes and barrels for a reasonable price yet.

I am located in Peoria, AZ not far off from the 101 NW corner.

Advertisement