All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Aug 26th, '16, 03:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
hey trc132 do have any type of solid settling filter?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 26th, '16, 04:33 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Not as of now. My hopes is that the raft tank, which is on the second shelf in my system, could be used as a type of settling (sump) tank coming from the GB. So far with little waste being added to the system I haven't seen if it is effective yet, but I am hoping and thinking it will be. Since my system is so small my thinking is that I could manually clean out solids from the tank if it started to fill with settled solids.

Maybe someone could provide some feedback if this will work or not.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '17, 05:00 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: more now than ever
We've had a Southeast Cold Snap here (28 degrees) and my fish stopped eating. My water is with-in the parameters. Should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '17, 22:02 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: more now than ever
Hello Baton Rouge Bill, this is Gil in Kenner LA. I've been Aquaponic Gardening for about three years and haven't produced and vegetables to brag about. I don't have a green thumb. I'm going to add a bio-filter into my system and see if there is any improvement. My fish are happy and healthy after the cold snap we had (27 degrees) for all of 6 hours. If anyone can offer any helpful ideas I'd be very greatful.
Thank you, Gil

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '17, 05:29 

Hi Gil, if you need some help you may want to start a new topic as well. Might be able to tell you what's going on with some pictures of your plants. I'm not sure what kind of fish you have but usually below about 50 F for water temp you would stop feeding or feed very infrequently. BRB may still be around or someone else in your neck of the woods might reply in this thread but you'll probably get a faster response with the new thread :thumbright: .

Cheers

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '17, 23:37 

Are you human?: Yes
Prairieville LA in the house!!

PostPosted: Feb 19th, '17, 23:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
hello Prairieville, what kinda system do you have?

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '17, 05:58 

My old system. In the process of rebuilding it outside, and incorporating a IBC as my fishtank.

Attachments:
aqua.JPG
aqua.JPG [ 128.01 KiB | Viewed 2048 times ]
PostPosted: Feb 20th, '17, 06:03 

I am trying to figure out my best solids filtration method for my new system. The one five gallon bucket was not cutting it. Trying to decide if I should have two different SLO drains going to two different five gallon buckets, then to a individuial grow bed each, or just two SLO outlets to one header, and adding a 55 gallon drum. I will have to go buy the drum, but dont mind. Just working out in my head which one will work more efficiently.
How about you??

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '17, 02:50 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

:notworthy: Awesome system. I currently have a very small indoor system so I won't be able to help with the solids filtration, but if I remember correctly Chris has one and can give you a little help in that department. Side note: What kind of lights do you have or do you recommend? I have a small growing area of roughly 4-5 sqft. What do you think would be enough LEDs?

-Tyler

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '17, 07:48 

Depends what your growing. Greens need different light then flowering plants. I did a LED conversion on flouresent fixture. I had three red/blue t-8 builds, and one clear one. You can mix and match them that way and it's cheeper.

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '17, 11:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
For your solids filtration I'd go with the one big drum - balancing multiple SLOs from the same tank would not be either easy or fun

PostPosted: Mar 4th, '17, 00:20 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I never received a notification email that you replied to the thread. I'm looking to do something similar to what you've done. I'm going to purchase a LED fixture for flowering plants for my top GB and move my current fluorescent lights to my small DWC tank for leafy greens. So with that said do you think a 300W LED fixture will suffice for that one GB of about 5 sqft?

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '17, 05:18 

[quote="BatonRouge Bill":*now Paul, stop that*]Who is from South Louisiana/Mississippi and where are you located? I would like to know who's growing what and what types of fish.[/quote:*now Paul, stop that*]

[size=150:*now Paul, stop that*]Greetings and salutations, y'all![/size:*now Paul, stop that*]
I am from Monroe, LA! I do not currently have an aquaponics system, but I am working towards getting one started. I'm planning an IBC chop & flip type system to start with (like the one seen [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VROMhAoSs:*now Paul, stop that*]here[/url:*now Paul, stop that*]). I already have an IBC tote on hand and am just waiting for things to relax at home before I start my build. Having a premature newborn (will be 6mo as of 01 JAN 2018) and [color=#00BF40:*now Paul, stop that*]everyone at the house sick right now[/color:*now Paul, stop that*] (thanks to Louisiana's bi-polar weather :puke: ) I don't have the energy, time, or will to get out and get it cut and ready...
Everyone, be aware that I will probably be asking a LOT of questions :newb: and I welcome any and all advise/support/tips/gear/etc! This is my first attempt at this and I want to do well for my family.
What prompted this is that I want my family to live a healthy life. And I feel that in order to do that I need to develop a homestead for my family. That begins here with my first aquaponics system!

Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
Certified Advanced SKYWARN Stormspotter

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '17, 09:46 

BatonRouge Bill wrote:
Who is from South Louisiana/Mississippi and where are you located? I would like to know who's growing what and what types of fish.

Greetings and salutations, y'all!
I am from Monroe, LA! I do not currently have an aquaponics system, but I am working towards getting one started. I'm planning an IBC chop & flip type system to start with (like the one seen here). I already have an IBC tote on hand and am just waiting for things to relax at home before I start my build. Having a premature newborn (will be 6mo as of 01 JAN 2018) and everyone at the house sick right now (thanks to Louisiana's bi-polar weather :puke: ) I don't have the energy, time, or will to get out and get it cut and ready...
Everyone, be aware that I will probably be asking a LOT of questions :newb: and I welcome any and all advise/support/tips/gear/etc! This is my first attempt at this and I want to do well for my family.
What prompted this is that I want my family to live a healthy life. And I feel that in order to do that I need to develop a homestead for my family. That begins here with my first aquaponics system!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
Certified Advanced SKYWARN Stormspotter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8