All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Nov 29th, '06, 16:23 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Big News today...

I attended the Reef Guardian Schools Eco Meet with a few students from school. Our students introduced Aquaponics as our school future project and we got a very large response from organisers and industry that was there. It generated a large discussion amonst the adults in the room.

Some of the organisers have already told us they will help us get advice on ethics and expertise, help with getting links to CQU lectures who set up their hydroponics set ups etc, even from Aquaculture experts up north if they can get them over video conferening.

Some of the Industry reps were also impressed and were wondering costs to get project off the group etc... So an excellent day.

Also the students we had there were enthused and want to help create the project next year. So I now have a small aquaponis committee of students.

It is late in the year, so at the moment our focus will be on a number of things.

1. Creating a plan for the start of next year so that we have clear roles, jobs, resources and dates when sections are due.

2. Start with a small classroom based system, like a scale model pilot project so we can get the system working and major bugs sorted out.

3. Apply for funding by March, and get the Pilot project operational

4. Collect data, resources, funding and create deadlines for a larger system.

5. Once viable and all things fall into place, start a larger system based upon the first.

All this should be viable because the ratios shouldnt change and the science behind it should be no different.

Reef Guardians reps also want us to take a visual diary so that it can be promoted later.

For a pilot project, I was thinking 120lt plastic tanks, Redclaw, small gravel filled growbed of around 200 ltrs with small contious flow system.

For major Phase 2 project - 700- 1000 Ltr tank With Barramundi. and 1400 - 2000 Ltrs of growbed.

Anyone have any thoughts, Idea's on system design of things I shuold think about? Good, bad... the ugly?

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '06, 07:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Great stuff, but give the Barra a miss I reckon, too hard first up, you just cant beat Silver and Jade perch for ease of care and toughness. (I ought to know, I have killed heaps of them !)
It is a quick way to kill a project when the fish start dying or continue to eat each other.
PM Monya re raising Barra, and Beezo in Brisbane raises Barra , and Aquamad in Cairns..... all these guys have experience in raising Barra
Muzza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '06, 07:39 

Are you human?: yes
I wouldn't call it experience LOL but I have had only 3 deaths with over 200 fish, so touch wood, all is well....

PostPosted: Nov 30th, '06, 14:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

We were not going to use barra till the second phase of the project. So I think redclaw was going to be first... invertibrate... so no probs...

But Barra will enthuse the students... so my heart is set on it.. nowt to just get past the ethics committee...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 30th, '06, 17:27 

I reckon go for it!

PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '06, 07:10 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

School Holidays ATM. Start up again 24th Jan.

One interesting point to note. One of my students who is interested in the aquaponics went to awonga dam (Barra dam) and caught 10 kg of red claw....

It might be easier than Barra but i was thinking about having 2 tanks. 1 for barra (if allowed) and 1 for red claw.

Now, i winder if there would be any laws about taking red claw from the dam for a school project????

He just gave his 6-8 kg mangrove jack to the fishery for breeding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 23rd, '06, 21:02 

Quote:
ow, i winder if there would be any laws about taking red claw from the dam for a school project????

Dont advertise that you did this MCPHRO!!!
I had several chart with DPI&F about this very topic...
THey said that you may have them (redclaw) at school IF...
You have purchased them and have proof of purchase and
IF the females you have purchased are not carrying eggs... BUT
you may not sell them or release them into the local streams as they do not occure naturally in your or my area...

The same went for barra, apparently you cant catch them wild and pop them into a system like AP - I did not queary that point as I was after purely redclaw info them...

PostPosted: Dec 24th, '06, 05:47 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Oh we didnt do it... just wondering if we could use one captured from the wild... I was wondering because if a person can capture and eat them legally, then what would be the harm instead of eating them, of putting them in a tank instead. BUt if thats a bad thing we simply wont do it.

We havent set our system up yet. We still applying for the funding. All budgets had closed for the year end of 2006 so i have to wait till schools back next year. Also we have been directed to create a "pilot" project first. Something smallish.

So I was planning a "scale" set up. I was hoping as a large system to have a 700 ltr tank along with 1400 ltr grow beds. But instead ill look at a 120 ltr system with a 240 ltr growbed 8)

I also want to create 2 in class set ups on wheels. Along the lines i saw a drawing on the forums. Tank down the bottom, growbed up the top all on a wheeled trolley.

There is a possibility of me transfering next year, so Im trying to get it set up so the marine and biology teachers can run with it. They are interested to do so, but atm im the guy pushing it. The good news is that im trying to tranfer to Cairns....

Now lemmie see... Who lives in cairns and doesnt aquaponics and is also a teacher :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 24th, '06, 08:02 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

McPhro

I teach Agricultural science. general science and Chemistry here in WA.

I am setting up tanks in school and hopefully an aquaponics project next year.

Here are some ideas to take pressure off your budget.

1) Many people have old aquariums and equipment in their sheds. Ask them to donate, perhaps by using the school newsletter, asking other teachers.

2) Get in touch with any Queensland aquarium fishy forums and post a "please donate" notice.

Recently I have had neary 40 second-hand fish tanks donated to the school also over 600 dollars worth of fancy tropical fish from members of the Perth Cichlid society.

Assorted mature goldfish and substantial sized goldfish from a fellow teacher.

I have so far set up 3 aquariums in a biology classroom, 4 in an Agriculture classroom. Two wheelie bin fish tanks at the school farm.

Holidays create a bit of a problem so be prepared to visit, feed and clean etc. etc. In the summer holidays be prepared to sell off or provide alternative accommodation. (I have set them up as a temporary measure at home in wheelie bins).

People out there are very generous when it comes to helping support our students. The Perth cichlid society have been exceptional in this regard.

Now all I got to do is set up some racks, find some pumps and set up wall to wall tanks in a dedicated fish room at school!

Kepp us posted.

Johnnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 24th, '06, 20:29 

I like what you are doing johnnie7au, and how you are doing it too, you should keep us posted too!

MCPHRO, my stsyem is a pilot system of sorts too - I intend to lure people in over the next year or so with product and demos etc... the slow and sneaky approach - the school alows me to run this system in a corner of the school which was previously a weed patch, giving me free access to water and electricity :) So there has been no "YES, we will go with that"... but there has also been no "NO, sorry, not in this school", so there is hope!
:mrgreen:

Oh, and if you make it to Cairns, we will get together and bore the wives with AP chatter over beers and barra!

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '07, 05:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

We are applying for funding at the moment, but something has occured to me...

Where we intend to put the system... Is only accessible by "Normal size" Doors.

So I think I might have a slight problem. Even if i could get a 1000 - 2000 Ltr Tank, how do I get it in there?

Anyone have similar problems, or use 2 * smaller tanks in their system.

Does anyone know of possible options for fish tanks that would fit through a standard size door?

Macca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb 9th, '07, 05:49 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Options:
- Build in place and line
- Use blue barrels
- Use aquariums

Are you asking how to team tanks together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb 9th, '07, 05:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Work with shallower tanks and turn them on their side to get through the door.

Do you have big windows? A chainsaw?

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '07, 08:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Nope, standard size house doors pretty much.

Just a balencing issue at present. I'd like 2000 Ltrs if I can get it, but would settle for 1 or 2 * 1000 Ltr tanks If I could get them in.

Maybe I could even start with 1 * 1000 Lte tank and upgrade later?

Another option is to go for my other plan (see web site)http://www.eftel.com.au/~yingyang/
Cant miss the piccies, and Use 130Ltr containers from Biw W and chain link them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb 9th, '07, 08:20 

If you have the bucks, some aquaculture style round tanks would be able to be rolled thru a standard door. Check out www.aquasonic.com.au

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next