All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: NEED HELP ASAP
PostPosted: Apr 21st, '17, 23:00 

Are you human?: Yes
So for my aquappnic system I'm using a timed grow bed. The water filters through it 3 times a day.unfortinetly I went to get my trout from the hatchery we put them all in coolers. They seemed to have died on way home? I had got what was left in the resivior but will most likely be pulling out alot more dead tomorrow . Some i was able to bring back by holding them facing the current. Alot are still gasping like they where doing in the cooler. Any chance this is just from lack of air in the cooler?The resivior has already a 19 inch rainbow in it who is doing excellent. I'm hoping I didn't just screw my system up by trying to save the hatchery trout I bought. I had to Cull out at least 9 x 5" trout as of the first hour of transport then 3 more in the resivior some seem to be doing better on the other hand.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: NEED HELP ASAP
PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 01:18 

Are you human?: YES
I'm not certain about the cause but they don't sound like they are recovering too well if they were only out of air. They may have some permanent damage whatever the cause :dontknow:

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 02:14 

I am hoping they dont! I lost 9 of them total. The others seem to be doing great with the exception of one. I believe the oxygenated water is what helped. Within minutes they came back and swam around except for one. They seem to take note of the huge trout who's already occupying that space. I'm now having trouble keeping the sediment down in this one. Any ideas on what type of filter to use to filter out extra murk without limiting what goes to feed my aquappnic trays?

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 05:22 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Filtering the water 3x per day??? You should be turning over the ft volume every hour...
Did you have your transport container aerated?
How big is your system?

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 06:26 

Hey thanks for the fast response guys! EVERY HOUR? I did continuous last year in a smaller system. Mine now is over 400 gal total. It floods a 4by8 tray and doesn't lower the water in the res to much. I was thinking of adding a swirl filter at the top before the water hit the flood tray. I read online someone said if you run it continuous not enough oxygen will get into the roots of your plants? Is this true? I'd would like to run it at least every hour for 15 minutes if possible. It takes 3 minutes to fill the tray.

As for the transport of the fish I had a small airrator in it but it crapped out on me the one day I needed it. But was told that they would make the 45min drive . 9 dead proved other wise. The rest are happy as can be and already getting food from the surface.
Once agian THANK YOU ALL for being awesome with fast replies. The only ways to learn is from your own mistakes as well as hearing other people's mistakes and wins

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 08:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Well you asked for help asap, that's how we roll on this forum!

Every hour is the rule of thumb, not only for aeration but also for ammonia and nitrite disposal. Of course this will depend on water volume and quantity of fish.

Eastcoasttrout wrote:
?....... I read online someone said if you run it continuous not enough oxygen will get into the roots of your plants? Is this true?

Aaah the trusty Internet. :) No it definitely is not true. There are many member threads on this forum running cf without problems. What you recall reading was more than likely to do with ammonia and nitrites than the transfer of oxygen.

Eastcoasttrout wrote:
........ was told that they would make the 45min drive . 9 dead proved other wise. The rest are happy as can be and already getting food from the surface.

Quantity and size of fish:water volume
My trout supplier says always have an aerator in the tank when transporting regardless. I have never lost a fish in transport using this advice.

Eastcoasttrout wrote:
.........The only ways to learn is from your own mistakes as well as hearing other people's mistakes and wins

It's not the only way to learn however it does make a larger imprint in your brain when it costs money, time and love! Other people's advice should be listened to and weighed up, used or discarded. There's some bad advice out there.

PostPosted: Apr 22nd, '17, 09:53 

Thanks friend! I appreciate it! I think next time I'll split it between two coolers with dual air rators. I am thinking of doing continuous flow now and just also incorporating a swirl filter in as well. My volume of fish is low for the resivior as I went for size feather then quantity. Last year they didn't grow as quick as needed before our early freeze and I was nervous about them freezing. This year I will be insulating and heating. Any advice on organic trout food for rainbows would be Awsome as well since my hatchery food is running out and it's a drive I would like to try to avoid. Also any ideas on underwater plants in the aqua system res? I will be adding crayfish this year after great success last year with them.