All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Hoosierdoc's system
PostPosted: May 20th, '17, 02:49 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm in Indiana just south of Indianapolis. I've been looking at Aquaponics for over a year and finally decided to jump in. I bought two IBC totes last year and just sat on them until a few weeks ago.

I went with a bell siphon flood and drain system using one IBC tote cut for grow bed on top and fish below. 1" drain pipe. It was not cycling well but I didn't have anything beyond the drain pipe so I added the horizontal piece about 2' long and it works much better. Now I need to strap that up since it bends down towards the water and gets submerged at the end of the drainage cycle.

I put 20 feeder goldfish in the tank initially to get the nitrogen cycle going. I didn't read enough to learn to do the ammonia seeding, oh well. I had two bags of pea gravel that I washed and put in first, then I added 100L of hydroton. I should have washed that better as a lot of dust came into the water, I'm intending to suck that up soon.

I then went to Home Depot and bought some leaf lettuce and planted it up top. I had to rinse as much dirt off as I could then stuck them in. They looked rough at the store but perked up in the next few days. Now they are actually growing (10d later). Yesterday I drove 90 mins and picked up about 100 1" tilapia fingerlings. I also added an air pump and three air stones. Right now the stones are all together but with the water flowing so much I don't think that matters. I have several more ports on the distribution hub and more stones if I want to add more.

I just bought some romaine today to add to the grow area but lots of storms out there. 10d ago I planted about 20 seed starter things with lettuces and herbs. In a few weeks I'll stick them in the media when they are more mature.

I'm getting a late start on the tilapia so am planning to setup my second tank in the garage for over wintering. I'm planning to build a frame and line it with insulation board. I have a 1400w heater and a controller I bought from amazon.

I'd like to try collecting fry and raising them as I'm fascinating with things like this. I'll get pics up later, but wanted to say hi and get my foot in the door here on the forum.

Today Amazon is bringing me a digital combo pH and TDS meter. Also ordered the master test kit for ammonia. I'm debating adding a webcam to watch my fish and grow beds remotely. If so I'll post a link :headbang:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Hoosierdoc's system
PostPosted: May 21st, '17, 08:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Cool Hoosierdoc sounds like you're getting things under control.
Pics are good too.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: May 21st, '17, 15:01 

Are you human?: YES
Cant wait to look at the pictures since the setup is already well organised.

PostPosted: May 27th, '17, 09:46 

Are you human?: Yes
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s37 ... n3jvv4.jpg

Here is a pic of the setup. I cannon-balled into this and didn't let my system establish the nitrogen cycle first. And I didn't paint the tote :(

This led to a nice algae bloom a week after the fish were in there. I added some anti-algae additive that is working well. Also added the "quick-start" bacteria cultures.

The 5-gal bucket is an algae strainer. I put landscaping fabric in there, then put a plastic bucket with holes in it (kids toy bucket) and inside that put layered burlap. The burlap is first filter then the landscaping fabric is second. I can rinse it off when needed, but I really need to mount it off the grow bed.

I put a heater in this week as our temps were dropping and my tank got to 57F. Ack! It's a 1400w water heater element plugged into an inkbird temperature control unit. My fish are MUCH happier with the temp being higher and less algae in the water. I expected a huge fish kill but didn't seem to happen.