All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Hoosierdoc's system
PostPosted: May 20th, '17, 02:49 

Are you human?: Yes
I'm in Indiana just south of Indianapolis. I've been looking at Aquaponics for over a year and finally decided to jump in. I bought two IBC totes last year and just sat on them until a few weeks ago.

I went with a bell siphon flood and drain system using one IBC tote cut for grow bed on top and fish below. 1" drain pipe. It was not cycling well but I didn't have anything beyond the drain pipe so I added the horizontal piece about 2' long and it works much better. Now I need to strap that up since it bends down towards the water and gets submerged at the end of the drainage cycle.

I put 20 feeder goldfish in the tank initially to get the nitrogen cycle going. I didn't read enough to learn to do the ammonia seeding, oh well. I had two bags of pea gravel that I washed and put in first, then I added 100L of hydroton. I should have washed that better as a lot of dust came into the water, I'm intending to suck that up soon.

I then went to Home Depot and bought some leaf lettuce and planted it up top. I had to rinse as much dirt off as I could then stuck them in. They looked rough at the store but perked up in the next few days. Now they are actually growing (10d later). Yesterday I drove 90 mins and picked up about 100 1" tilapia fingerlings. I also added an air pump and three air stones. Right now the stones are all together but with the water flowing so much I don't think that matters. I have several more ports on the distribution hub and more stones if I want to add more.

I just bought some romaine today to add to the grow area but lots of storms out there. 10d ago I planted about 20 seed starter things with lettuces and herbs. In a few weeks I'll stick them in the media when they are more mature.

I'm getting a late start on the tilapia so am planning to setup my second tank in the garage for over wintering. I'm planning to build a frame and line it with insulation board. I have a 1400w heater and a controller I bought from amazon.

I'd like to try collecting fry and raising them as I'm fascinating with things like this. I'll get pics up later, but wanted to say hi and get my foot in the door here on the forum.

Today Amazon is bringing me a digital combo pH and TDS meter. Also ordered the master test kit for ammonia. I'm debating adding a webcam to watch my fish and grow beds remotely. If so I'll post a link :headbang:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Hoosierdoc's system
PostPosted: May 21st, '17, 08:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Cool Hoosierdoc sounds like you're getting things under control.
Pics are good too.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: May 21st, '17, 15:01 

Cant wait to look at the pictures since the setup is already well organised.

PostPosted: May 27th, '17, 09:46 

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s37 ... n3jvv4.jpg

Here is a pic of the setup. I cannon-balled into this and didn't let my system establish the nitrogen cycle first. And I didn't paint the tote :(

This led to a nice algae bloom a week after the fish were in there. I added some anti-algae additive that is working well. Also added the "quick-start" bacteria cultures.

The 5-gal bucket is an algae strainer. I put landscaping fabric in there, then put a plastic bucket with holes in it (kids toy bucket) and inside that put layered burlap. The burlap is first filter then the landscaping fabric is second. I can rinse it off when needed, but I really need to mount it off the grow bed.

I put a heater in this week as our temps were dropping and my tank got to 57F. Ack! It's a 1400w water heater element plugged into an inkbird temperature control unit. My fish are MUCH happier with the temp being higher and less algae in the water. I expected a huge fish kill but didn't seem to happen.

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '17, 16:18 

So my fish are growing quickly (go figure) and my nitrites/nitrates are building up. I'm doing water changes to keep it in check but really need to expand my total volume of water and grow beds. I have a second IBC tote that I'm going to cut and make an extra grow bed and extra fish tank. The plan would be plumb the tanks together and use single pump to fill both beds, which drain into the tanks below.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to have one tank as a sump and one as a fish tank? Since I have a TON of fish I figured using both tanks would let them spread out more. Not sure if one pump and two tanks would cause solids to build up in the non-pump tank or not.

I also figure one heater would be good enough since I won't be running the system over the winter. I'll move the fish to the garage.

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '17, 21:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
The beginners luck is flowing strong with you grasshopper. I too did not realize the importance of cycling my tanks and got away with a lot, no doubt at the expense of fish health and stress. In the beginning the notable chemistry values which fluctuate while the fish water cycles are; pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. What we're looking for are the inevitable spikes to settle down and stabilize as the beneficial bacteria become established, sometimes taking a month.
Attachment:
NitrogenCycle2.jpg
NitrogenCycle2.jpg [ 111.48 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

The downside to fish in tank nitrogen cycling is you have less control and this tends to stress fish more. That being said it can be done, but you'll need to test chemistry every day.
What I learned is you'll need the complete API Master Test Kit.
No way around that for a beginner. Having the complete kit is not only needed for the complete picture it helps us see what is happening in your setup as this is the test we use and after years of doing tests on water we know what the resultant colors mean and when a test is out of range suggesting a botched test.
Hope this helps
Brian

:?

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '17, 08:03 

thanks for the advice. I did buy the master test kit and used it the other day. Complicated but fun in a way. Reminds me of testing our pool as a kid back in the stone ages. I do need to watch it more closely and probably chart it out so I can learn as I go.

I decided to take the second tank and make two additional grow beds. I'm going to install a radial flow filter in a 55-gal plastic drum to help with the burden of solids. I think tripling the grow bed area and adding a solids filter will help immensely.

If/when they start getting too crowded I can always add a second tank to let them get some personal space.

Is there a trick to supplying all three beds with equal water flow? It seems like if I gravity drain out of the RFF into a horizontal manifold pipe, as long as the pipes go up and then back down into the beds at the same height that should give fairly similar flow right?

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '17, 02:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Quote:
I did buy the master test kit and used it the other day. Complicated but fun in a way.
that'll pass before too long :support: I did all three of our systems the other day, I couldn't tell if even the first set of test felt like anything but work. I kept saying to myself, well muttering to myself really, " At least I don't need to keep looking at the bottles to remember how many drops each required." :support: Anything to get through it really. :laughing3:

:?

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '17, 03:03 

Eventually you'll get to the point where you only test when you notice something seems wrong :lol: .

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '17, 13:00 

I decided to bite the bullet and get rid of some of my fish. In Indiana you need a permit to sell fish so I gave them away on craigslist. It took 15 mins for someone to respond, and he was 10 mins away. Go figure. He's a teacher at a vocational school who has an 800-gal setup. I'll need to further that relationship to learn from him.

He used to have to drive two hours to buy fingerlings so he's excited to get free ones close.

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 02:34 

Got the sun shade up, mounted with PVC and zip ties, in a nice position to irritate the OCD members :D

PostPosted: Jun 27th, '17, 10:15 

So... the shade blocked a lot of wind and some fungus showed up. Lettuce is dead now anyway so shade is off.

Today I pulled the lettuce and the roots were covered in slime. Can't find any of my worms. The return pipe emptied by the lettuce but I figured it was time to help with solids. So I made a quick radial flow filter. I used parackrd to hold a 4" pipe and have a 3/4" inside it. I made my drain out of the bottom and then kicked myself. I wanted it low and didn't think to just have a 90 going down to the bottom from the side.

Anyway, it's running now and I'm excited to see how it separates.

PostPosted: Jun 27th, '17, 10:48 

Additional note: my flow rate had slowed down considerably. I thought the pump was getting clogged but it was the tubing. Here is what shot out of my half inch ID tubing when i hooked a hose up to it.

Any thoughts on how to prevent the biofilm from taking over? I know I need larger pipes but is that just a temporary fix?

PostPosted: Jun 27th, '17, 12:38 

Do you have another filter?

PostPosted: Jun 27th, '17, 15:21 

The bio-slime will be back but probably not quite as bad since you got rid of some of your fish. Larger pipes do help, the biofilm won't normally fill the entire pipe, just coats the walls but not usually an issue except when the pipes are undersized or really small. Looks like the pipe was obstructed with algae even without the bio-slime :dontknow: .