All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '20, 11:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
Here's how they look when cladded. I know the straps will only last a couple years in the sun. Maybe i can paint them?

Attachment:
hot tub cladding.jpg
hot tub cladding.jpg [ 159.96 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '20, 11:47 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Attachment:
two cladded tanks.jpg
two cladded tanks.jpg [ 171.5 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]

The tanks are in place, but leveling the ground hasn't quite worked out yet. I have variance of 1/4 inch or so on one, and almost 1/2 inch on the other. I'm not sure this will matter too much.
One tank is cladded with the walls of an old wooden hot tub I picked up.
The other is someone's redwood decking they were giving away.
I like how they turned out. Now i just need to level properly, and decide on the SLO size.

The tanks are ready for 2 inch SLO plumbing, but it sounds like 3 inches might be a better choice.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '20, 12:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Here's a view of the grow bed that is currently connected. Right now the habaneros are just starting to set fruit. I think the shade cloth might have been too much shade. The beans are still making beans. The lettuce is doing great now. The ginger looks good, but I have no idea when it is ready to harvest. The strawberries are still growing, and started to form a few flowers now that the shade cloth is off. The sun is lower now, and the temps are dropping, so we'll see how things grow.

Attachments:
long view.jpg
long view.jpg [ 162.98 KiB | Viewed 266 times ]

Barrel System
IBC System
PostPosted: Nov 9th, '20, 12:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Oh, and the basil, the basil, the basil! It's still going strong. It made two nice batches of pesto so far. I'm going to make another batch soon.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '20, 08:14 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I was thinking of having both of these big tanks go into one RFF. Would it work to have them both spill in from above the stilling well coming in from different angles? Would this matter?

The area is kind of tight, so I wanted to get the RFF in the wedge between the tanks.

Attachment:
plumbing.jpg
plumbing.jpg [ 48.75 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]

Then have exit plumbing from the rff go into a mbbr?

Would it matter if I constrict the plumbing after the SLO (3 inch) to 2 inch?

Would this help with retention times in the RFF, or just cause my cactus next to the tanks to become decoupled aquaponics?

I've seen this top down method done with a single pipe from one tank at least once, thinking of Web4Deb, in his commercial venture.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '20, 06:02 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Couple of things mate, I know it’s just a drawing, and a very nice one too, but in reality the SLO uprights will be in the centre of the tanks won’t they?
I think I’ve said before I removed my filter from the system as it added work. Draining from the base was awkward and it needed cleaning often. That said my media is starting to clog up so am thinking about reinstating it again to give the beds time to decompose.
The thing about gravity feed is that it’s dynamics are constantly changing. If the sump level lowers there’s a higher head so less flow. If any pipe that’s a gravity feed is full pressure will build up behind it, good at the ft as it increases the SLO vacuuming effect but bad if it overflows. Air locks can also become issues if pipework isn’t level or sloping down. With short pipe runs these aren’t too much of a problem but I like to try and keep an air gap in the pipework at all times.
Generally when you join two pipes you upsize from there but you’re looking at reducing and this would be my main concern but it may cope with the flow anyway.
I’ll throw this link at you as you may be surprised at the different flow rates through different sized pipes.
https://www.supadiverta.com.au/friction ... rates.html

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '20, 13:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Skeg,You are 100 percent (Don't know that one in Metric) :wink: correct that they would be in the center!
I simply had already written in the label, and didn't want to draw the SLO over it (Lazy) and didn't want to erase. (Lazier). :-P

Yeah, filters are kind of awkward. Crouching down to drain my current RFF at least gives my abs and legs a workout.
I do want the extra filtration just cause I know that I'll be somewhat heavily stocked for now. I think the removal of solids would be helpful for now. Plus, I used about 50 % scoria in the new beds, which seems like it would be much less fun to clean than expanded clay or pumice (Which are an absolute joy). I think I'm starting to grasp mineralization, and might give that a go.

The bit about air locks is good to remember. In this case, I'd have a good12 feet or so of straight pipe length, so maybe I should create a vent along the way.

I might just have to bite the bullet and get a few more uniseals, but I'm not sure if the local place that carries them will have 3 inch anymore. I bought the two that they had the last time I went in, and they said that they had those two for a very long time. It wasn't a hot seller. They generally have 2 in/50 mm and smaller.

And, thanks for the flow rate chart. I appreciate it.

Barrel System
IBC System