All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 15:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: I think, I am. Yes
Firstly, I have found this AP thing is so addictive and so complex or simple, depending on what you want to do or how much you want to know.

Time I put up a piccie or two of my month old system.

The system is positioned between my house and the fence, meaning it is getting only about four - five hours sun at this time of the year. Come summer it will get plenty of sunshine as it is on the Western side of the house.

Because of the cold weather we have been having here in Perth the green system is not cycling very quickly. My readings are showing I am at that wonderful time when the nitrites do a dance all over you. Meanwhile, the yellow system is purring along with all readings looking great and the trout are growing fast.

The fish(SP of medium size) in the green system are probably wondering when they are going to get a regular feed. I've taken advantage of some heavy rainfall days and given them some light feeding, but have again stopped as the nitrites went 5+. I have run water for a couple of hours from my rainwater tank into the system and this has resulted in water changeing over as it flows out the overflow pipes in the FT. I've also put a couple of handfuls of pool salt in to the green FT and will continue to gradually add this over the next two - three days until a kilogram has been put in to the 1000 litre tank. I have also taken almost two bucket loads of the GB medium from the yellow system and swapped that into the green GB. Hopefully the established bacteria will cope with the 0 - 0.25 ammonia that is in the green system and help spur on the establishment of bacteria in the new system.

Here's hoping I have done enough to prevent fish meeting their maker before I can plate the beggars at a more suitable time.

I'll also take this opportunity to thank all those who have spent insane amounts of their time monitoring this forum and answering the many and repeated questions so patiently. Ya bluds worth bottling, as they say.

Attachments:
File comment: Just started. The green GB and FT are brand new, the yellow ones are seven years old, bought second hand a week before.
20140616_103051 (Medium).JPG
20140616_103051 (Medium).JPG [ 71.33 KiB | Viewed 4245 times ]
File comment: The system after a month.
20140716_025554 (Medium).JPG
20140716_025554 (Medium).JPG [ 82.1 KiB | Viewed 4245 times ]
File comment: The system after a month. Seen some growth in the plants. Other than the four flying trout on the first night, no further fish deaths...yet.
20140716_025815 (Medium).JPG
20140716_025815 (Medium).JPG [ 70.8 KiB | Viewed 4245 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 15:54 

Nice!

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 16:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES, on my best days
Looking good!

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 16:21 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: not for much longer
nice and neat looking, Is there a reason you dont just link them both together?

And I just wanted a water feature, but then I made my own filter and I'm only a noob!

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 16:37 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Two reasons I haven't linked the two systems together:
1. Because I am eventually going to add another grow bed to the green system.
2. Because I am afraid that anything the trout have might be caught by the perch or viscky verscky.

That said, reason two probably went out the window the moment I shared the grow bed medium.

Joining the two...hmmm. I will have to think about the logistics of that.

Initial thoughts are that I'm looking at having one FT pump into the other FT and somehow have it reticulated over both beds. That doesn't sound right to me. There's got to be a better way. Anyone have some ideas?

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 16:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

you could lift one tank up so it can gravity feed to the grow beds, and use the other tank like a sump, there is no reason you can't keep fish in the sump.
you would save power only using 1 pump

And I just wanted a water feature, but then I made my own filter and I'm only a noob!

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 17:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I can see the idea but getting an FT up there - that's going to take some chewing on, especially given the limited spondoolies have to spend. The saving in power would make the lady of the home happy. We're looking at going all out and getting solar panels whacked up. I'll have a look at the local salvage yard and see if it is feasible to knock something together cheaply or I'll exercise my patience and hope the green system cycles quickly with what I have done.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 17:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Fair enough, best of luck with it.

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 20:30 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Welcome to the forum TCK, great start well done. :thumbright:
What are the PVC pipes hanging over the edges of the ft for?

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '14, 22:00 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Indeed
Colour coordinated systems this must be a first for BYA.

Love it.

PostPosted: Jul 26th, '14, 22:00 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here's a photo of the overflow pipes that stradle the FT wall, one side in the water, the other side outside the FT. As the water level inside the FT reaches breaches the top of the inside pipe, the water flows through the pipes to be reticulated outside of the FT, preventing the water level getting too high or overflowing the walls of the FT.

This is a copy of what I saw being used at BYAP.

Attachments:
Overflow (Medium).JPG
Overflow (Medium).JPG [ 48.32 KiB | Viewed 4131 times ]
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 15:20 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Harvesting/killing trout.
Receiving a delivery from troutman of 25 SP fingerlings tomorrow morning. That means the rainbow trout have run out of time. Given the increasing temperatures here in Perth, it was going to be time to harvest soon anyway.
I am going to detail what I did because I couldn't find a comprehensive description of how to kill the trout on this forum. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't there - this forum is full of so much information.
Set myself up near the grow beds on a table with a large bucket of water, a large bowl for the innards, cutting board and a couple of knives. Dug a hole nearby for the unwanted bits to be put into when I'd finished.
I hate killing stuff and that's what eventually stopped me breeding bunnies for food, but this aquaponics is proving it is worth the heartache of the kill. I've watched numberless youtube videos of different techniques for humanly killing fish and chose to go with the methods described by iki jime in the website:
http://www.ikijime.com/
Whacked the pole net into the fish tank and went fishing. I have five trout remaining from the initial ten - four jumped out on the first night I got them and one got sick and was despatched at that time.
Back to fishing. The first two almost jumped into the net - I hadn't fed them for a couple of days. When I put hand to the beggars I was shocked by the amount of slime covering the fish. It made it impossible to hold them. I could write a good bedtime story for the kiddies just based on the slime on the fish. Gripped gloves proved gripless after handling the first one.
I applied the knife to the designated ike jime spot on the fish head and stabbed and wriggled the knife appropriately. First one went still immediately. The second one took a little more wriggling and turning of the knife. I then cut the fish throat under the gills and put the fish in the water bucket to bleed.
To keep the gruesome details to a minimum, I found the ike jime method to be a little hit and miss, but certainly better than the plain old beheading I used on the sick trout previously.
Catching the remainder got increasingly difficult until the last one had me chasing it all over the tank until, possibly, it got too tired to continue. Lucky, because I was close to giving it an hour or two reprieve.
After bleeding all the fish, and repeating the ike jime on two of the fish that began moving again in the bucket, I cleaned out the guts by slitting them from their vent up to the mouth, cutting another slit across the throat under the mouth, putting a thumb through the mouth and holding the jaw with one hand while pushing a finger through the slit in the throat and pulling the gills and innards back down towards the fish vent, removing the lot in one go. Once the guts are out, you'll see a wide, dark line of blood up the length of the backbone. By pushing your thumb against this and firmly pushing from the vent up to the head I easily removed this and gave the fish a quick rinse in the water bowl.
I then cut off the two fins at the gills and the two near the vent and replaced the fish in the bucket of water.
After pouring off as much of the water as possible without losing the fish into my predug hole in the ground, I refilled the bucket with fresh water and ice.
Next step is to hose down the table and equipment.
I chose to keep the heads on the trout - not sure why yet.
Next step will be to prepare a marinade to soak them in prior to smoking this evening. I guess there will be an intermediate step of washing off the slime as I haven't planned to scale the fish prior to smoking.
I'm sure troutman would agree with me when I say that they are a beautiful looking fish. A dinkum pity to have to kill them.

Attachments:
File comment: Here's the result prior to smoking. You'll note that reducing the bit size of the photo has reduced image quality to allow me to say the fish are whatever size I wish to imagine them to be.
Trout harvest Oct 2014 (Medium).JPG
Trout harvest Oct 2014 (Medium).JPG [ 71.13 KiB | Viewed 3976 times ]
PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 16:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: usually
Nice trout TC, well done. I had pretty much the same experience as yourself when I had to dispatch my trout, I tried to make it as painless and stressfree for the trout (and myself) as possible but I was surprised at how slippery and strong they are. Now I leave them in the net and have an old thick wet towel laid out which I quickly wrap over the fish then just expose the top of the head to apply the knife. Also to be honest I have enjoyed many hours feeding and caring for my trout and I really had to "harden up" before I could knife them, I guess not being into hunting or fishing makes it an unfamiliar thing to do. . Anyway they tasted great and I enjoyed smoking and eating them. cheers

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26475&p=527825&hilit=smaller+chilled+system#p527825

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 16:50 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, Rendang, I'm no hunter/fisherman. Only ever successfully caught fish when I got in the water with them and chased them with a gidgee. Unfortunately I don't think that's legal any more. Truly going to miss the splashing around of the trout. My SP are as boring as and I never get to see them as they won't come out at feeding time and stay hidden in the depths until they get the courage to silently grab at the fish pellets that float near by. And they take forever to grow!!
If it wasn't for the limited time period we get to grow them in Perth, I'd probably forget the SP and stick with trout. The trout have been providing the attached GB with deep red on the nitrates indicator while twice the number of SP are providing just enough to feed the leafy greens of their GB.
I've heard the SP taste great and will be hanging my hat on that. For now.

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 17:11 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: usually
Well I just put 150 SP into my system (first ever) so I will find out first hand how boring they are. Going to miss that trout feeding frenzy !

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26475&p=527825&hilit=smaller+chilled+system#p527825