All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryans IBC System
PostPosted: Jul 18th, '12, 19:17 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
Internet stalkers are so hard to come by these days! :)

UPDATES!!!!1111one

The small expansion. For those of you with a ridiculously good memory you may recognize the tub as the sump from my first aquarium system. For every non-freak reading it is about 70L or so of tub that has been mutilated beyond any use other than AP. Tragic! you might say, but it is ok, the tub was a worthy AP sacrifice. (By mutilate i mean i had to drill a hole in it :P )

Another shot. The stand it is sitting on is the one i got with my aquariums. I wasnt using it so it got repurposed. It also give me a bit of shelf space. In my next lot of days off i will try and move all my electrics onto it and waterproof somehow. I also have a battery that wasnt quite up to the task of starting a car and an inverter to install.

I have a couple of dwarf broccoli in there. Im not too sure what else will make its way there. I am going through a massive chilli phase atm so maybe a chilli plant or 2 if i can find a way to protect it from the wind which seems to kill everything that i dont protect.

Here is an update on the plants i already had. The tomatoes are starting to take off. Also the garlic is looking fantastic. Far better than my garlic in the ground last year anyway. I dont know if it is going to do anything other than look good but time will tell. You can see the capsicum is really on its last legs. It looks like it has an iron deficiency even though i added a fair bit of chelated iron. Even the hab is looking a little sad. It might just be getting a bit cold for them. They will both be getting a trim back in the coming weeks once the last of the fruit ripen. I also thought this morning that maybe my pH is playing funny buggers with the nutes, so i will test that tomorrow if i can grag my arse out of bed.

Another angle.

I have been munching on a few lettuce leaves in the last few days which is good. I also ate a capsy tonight on a pizza. Home grown stuff is so freaking tasty!

I am going to be interested to see how the broccoli goes in the IBC vs the tub due to the extra sunlight the tub will see. The IBC ones have got probably 2 weeks head start on the tub ones.

Oh also, i just purchased a nice selection of stupidly hot 'CRAP MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!!!' chilli seeds. Chilli beer might just be around the corner :thumbright:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '12, 19:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: 0110010110
expansion! :headbang:

PostPosted: Jul 29th, '12, 16:16 
A posting God
A posting God

A quick update.

I cut of the final capsy's and gave that a good trim back. It had some sort of disease/pest that was making it look really sad. It as the same story with my jalapeño. I lost a few chillis, but better that than the plant. I dont know what the disease/pest was but i took off almost all of the foliage and gave everything a good spray with dipel. Dipel was all i had on hand so hopefully it will do the trick with anything remaining.

I also gave the brahmi a good trim back and am drying what i cut off to make a tea. I dried a bit in the oven to give it a taste. Not exactly appetising, but drinkable. I will experiment with making it more enjoyable. The verdict is still well and truly out as to whether it does anything to help memory. I have found very little actual evidence of it, only word of mouth from people who have tried it or just saying that there was a study and it helps.

The broccoli is starting to head up as well. It really hasnt grown much, just started to grow a head. It is the dwarf variety though.

I also chucked a few onions in this tub. I have some chilli plants coming in a few days to take that space that is left.

The sugar snap peas are starting to come along. They slowed down a lot a few weeks ago and i didnt think i was going to get any more fruit. It has probably 15 flowers on it now though so hopefully it will take off again. I have also been eating lettuce regularly, although they will probably need a week or so to recover after todays lunch :)

A final system shot. You can see the toms are showing signs of lack of sun light. My plan is to train them along the string i have there and over the top of the wind break and out into a bit more sun. Also took a lot of silverbeet out last night and used it in an awesome risotto my nan cooked up.

Here is a pic of what the capsy leaves were looking like. Unfortunately the pic is hard to make out and it doesnt show the actual damage. Initially i thought is was lack of iron, but adding chelated iron didnt help. Upon closer inspection it actually looks like something was sucking the leaves dry sort of thing. There was also i small amount of fine stringy white stuff. Not much though. Might have been a spider web.

PostPosted: Jul 29th, '12, 16:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Ryan that capsicum really looks like you have a mineral deficiency. I can't remember which one causes such a defined "skeletal" look but it could be calcium/potassium/magnesium/iron.
I would definitely give the system a dose of iron first and some epsom salts if you have some (im not so sure about the magnesium). If the ph is lower than 6.8 give it some calcium and/or potassium (im just assuming you have some in the carbonate/hydroxide form)
Now that there are no leaves you don't have any feedback untill the new leaves start forming. Any other plants showing signs of this ?
You could add one thing at a time to see if it works but that is time consuming and you might harm other plants in the meantime.

I had issues with yellowing leaves on my basil, not as skeletal as that but still patchy. My kale did a similar thing. Most of my spinach plants and betroots stopped growing, and only 2 spinach plants have recovered, the others are still in a sad state of stagnant limbo, even after 3 months.

PostPosted: Jul 29th, '12, 20:21 
A posting God
A posting God

I did give it a dose of chelated iron a few weeks ago to no avail. There was definitely something powdery on the leaves. As i said i suspected a deficiency initially, but now i dont think that is what it is now :dontknow: I will see in a few weeks, it had some new buds showing that i left on there. :)

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '12, 08:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Hi Ryan, without seeing a good photo of the leaf it's hard to tell but if you are seeing some webbing it could be spider mites (probably 2 spotted). wetting the leaves every day or predator mites work well.

Mites will also cause the leaves to curl which seems to be happening. Good eyes or a hand lens will easily pick them up.

Cheers
Marc

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '12, 10:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Marc. I googled spider mites and there was a bug that looked a bit like this:

That may be what is the problem. I will keep a close eye on it and see if i can find any more.

When you say keep the leaves wet, do you mean with water? Or white oil or something?

PostPosted: Jul 30th, '12, 13:28 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Hi Ryan,
that looks like a red legged earth mite to me, which is not likley to be the culprit. 2 spotted mite is probably the mite you have. Check out http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/93667/spotted_mite.pdf or http://www.bugsforbugs.com.au/product/39.

Twospotted mite does not like to be wet so wetting both sides of the leaves is an effective way of slowing them down. I use overhead sprays on my plants over spring and summer as well as the predatory mite Persimilis to keep them in check (which you can get via mail order - effective but expensive approx $50) and now I rarely get any damage. If you do have the pest, getting control early is important as they can build up very quickly and do a lot of damage. By then control takes time but can be done.

White oil works very well but may not be good for the fish.

Best of luck

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '12, 11:25 
A posting God
A posting God

It looks like spider mites might be it. Doing a bit omre research and i have found some that look like what is on the leaves. It is a bit hard to see them but they look like they might be a red bodied spider mite.

I am going to try and make my own white oil as per the instructions bunson posted here:

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6335

Using that enviro-detergent stuff.

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '12, 13:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: I'll be baaaack!
The use of oil based sprays is fine for dirt gardens, but I wouldn't use oils in AP systems as the oil can find its way into the FT and form a film on the surface of the water which will prevent efficint oxygen exchange. Recipe for chilli and garlic spray for AP systems : http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336835#p336835

Scott

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 14:56 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Scott. Lucky i saw that before i sprayed it on.

Will find another use of the white oil i made up then :)

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 15:10 
A posting God
A posting God

there are quite a few threads where people are using a combination of whiteoil and other things on their AP... I wonder if anyone has actually killed any fish by using it, and how much they used etc... Not that I would experiment on eating fish ;)

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '12, 15:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Yeah i will see how i go with the chilli/garlic combo. I used some fairly hot chillis that were a bit old for eating fresh. If i dont have any luck i will very carefully try my white oil/chilli/garlic combo.

PostPosted: Aug 17th, '12, 18:34 
A posting God
A posting God

Who wants updates?

Yes: Enjoy No: Too bad :evil:

Will let the photos do most of the talking.

Just to show any new comers to growing veges, this lettuce came out of the same punnet as above but gets more sunlight.

Pretty sure i still have a few spider mites floating around. :upset:

Hopefully this will get a bit more dense...

Strawberry and garlic.

Trying to train them over the top.

PostPosted: Aug 17th, '12, 19:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: I am a meat popsicle
*stalk stalk* Nice car.

Your system looks great! it's very encouraging, I have a black thumb, but my system is gonna be in full sun, so hopefully it will do at least as well :-)

Charl and Sarah's Neat and Tidy Single IBC System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next