All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terras Patch
PostPosted: Dec 28th, '12, 08:17 

Looks great Terra, keep us posted with your progress :thumbleft:

~Backyard farming~

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '13, 20:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Update Photo late january 2013 Tomatoes goin nuts , finally have some decent capcicums hidden in there these have been frustrating , i guess they are a good indicater of system progress .

Black tray was set up October long weekend has been pretty slow with only 25 tiny silver perch driving it but has certainly got going in the last couple of weeks .This system now has a small floating raft and a 200L swirl filter , photos in the camera thats somewhere :think:

Attachments:
Black GB 7.JPG
Black GB 7.JPG [ 267.45 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]
Jan 2013.JPG
Jan 2013.JPG [ 295.93 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '13, 20:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
Some great looking growth there Terra.

Your corn looks way better than mine! :notworthy:

PostPosted: Feb 16th, '13, 09:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Corn Today , two weeks later ,floating raft and swirl filter photos from the youngest Terras new camera

Attachments:
Black GB 8.JPG
Black GB 8.JPG [ 299.57 KiB | Viewed 2810 times ]
F Raft 2.JPG
F Raft 2.JPG [ 276.46 KiB | Viewed 2810 times ]
F Raft 1.JPG
F Raft 1.JPG [ 234.48 KiB | Viewed 2810 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 16th, '13, 12:09 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Nice work it all looks really well made.

Happy plants too.

I might have to steal the main design off you one day ;)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Feb 16th, '13, 12:13 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Looking great :thumbright:

PostPosted: Mar 2nd, '13, 09:47 

Serious looking operation that you've got going there Terra :thumbleft: The corn looks like its growing very well too.

PostPosted: Mar 2nd, '13, 12:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I have a decent pvc Fish Tank supply line now on no 1 (Green) system , have been useing 3/4 hose one of those jobs that required the right vehicle to be in town on a day off ect ect .

Supply to Tank would be double of course siphons couldnt handle the flow so now have a bleed off tap in sump and the Catfish have heaps more splash . Of course i need a third system for the catts im a bit over fish in sumps so im on the hunt for more stuff .

No substitute for experience if i had my time over i would have cleared an area in the yard and put up a decent size green / shadehouse first with room to add and change components im starting to get a bit scattered .

AP system has been great this summer i normally have water to waste , not this year the dirt garden is winding down until it rains , some corn and late tomatoes in the raised beds to finish and that will have to do .

I didnt really expect corn to go well as the black system has only been going since october but i bunged some seeds straight in the rocks to fill gaps so hopefully they will fill ok .

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 11:39 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Getting a nice steady supply of Tomatoes now , have been getting little groups ripening then nothing for awhile i guess that is due to the frequent mini heatwaves we have had interfering with fruit set . Kang Kong is going wild , trying cukes again in the green system havent had much luck mildew just smashed them before any fruit turned up .

Floating Raft has been going for around 4 weeks , finally getting a slight nitrate reading in the black system 25 Silvers about 100mm long driving it , heaps of nitrate in the green system so im thinking i might swing some water over to the black system in the next water top up . Green system has 5 large Tandanus Catts as well as 25 Silver Perch , Nitrates are running 80 ppm+ .

Have a few cold tolerant Tomatoes up , system was too young last winter for fruiting crops , this year im hoping to grow a few through the cold months . Have a few options for heating , our slow combustion wood heater is only 3 steps away from my sump with a window for easy access this heater goes pretty well non stop through the coldest part of the year . I have free firewood so thats probably the best cost wise . Likely to get complicated but thinking of drawing warm air through the 1800Lph air pump to keep the water temp up a little .

Attachments:
March 2013.JPG
March 2013.JPG [ 282.21 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]
F Raft 5.JPG
F Raft 5.JPG [ 276.48 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]
F Raft 4.JPG
F Raft 4.JPG [ 284.95 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 21st, '13, 13:16 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

This has had me baffled for awhile now , no1 system (green) has had intermittent murky water , sometimes best described as fish tank soup . At the end of the trout season i had it real bad and again now .

I thought for awhile i had dodgy feed , small white fibre particles that float around and wouldn’t go out the solid lift , after shearing sheep for 30+ years and running a piggery for 10 yrs the cynic in me kicked into gear , i was convinced it was wool particles (have seen this in poorly made meatmeal ) in the feed , land animal products shouldn’t be in fish feed of course .

It got that bad i dumped most of the water a few days later it was just as bad . I put uneaten rotting feed from the bottom of the fishtank in a bucket and we put worms in it they immediatly vacated the bucket choosing to crawl into bright sunlight hmmmmmmmmmmm .

I was using different feed in my systems the black system water is fine funny how we can get stuck on a thought , turns out it has nothing to do with feed at all .

I am sure its the B#%&*@ Garlic Chives they take over the bed so i often pull great chunks out leaving some roots behind these cant be being processed by the worms they start to break down and turn into soup , maybe the worms vacate this bed as well . I have caught the fibres in a fine strainer comeing out this bed the other siphon outlets are fine they probably have some fine bits from cross contamination , so time will tell but im betting this has been my murky water issue in this system all along .

Soon as the terrific Apollo tomato in this bed has finished the bed will get a cleanout and the chives are going to the dirt garden .

PostPosted: May 13th, '13, 21:11 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Terra,

Just been reading through your thread and you have confirmed some of my own ideas, so thank you.

My system is not yet up and running but I am hoping to run with a 90mm SLO in my FT and pump from my sump. Is the feed to your GBs in your green system 90mm storm water PVC all the way? And, is the idea of using the simple elbow for each GB outlet successful? Did you have much trouble fine tuning the individual feed rate to the GBs using these elbows? Like you I hope I can avoid using ball valves to regulate the flow.

Thanks for showing us your systems.

Cheers

PostPosted: May 15th, '13, 11:39 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi Pelican

My growbed feed is 50mm DWV to 4 outlets and works fine but it is getting close to maximum capacity so a bit bigger wouldnt hurt if i had a bigger fish tank and more flow i would need to install a second SLO .

The elbows work great but catch a little bit of sediment in the bend so i just have a big long Turkey feather that i give it a brush with now and then and it comes out , something like a small long handled paint brush would do the same .

Adjustment is easy , i kinda know now visually how much flow is about right for my siphons thats something that comes with experience you will get a feel for it pretty quick
Rob

PostPosted: May 15th, '13, 18:40 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Rob.I'm looking forward to finally getting it all together and getting my own system started. Will still be a few weeks unfortunately. Timing is not always in my own hands. :(
I keep reading that AP requires lots of patience. Didn't realise I would need the patience even before I start. :D :D :D

PostPosted: May 28th, '13, 19:16 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Decided to start cleaning out the green system ,havnt been able to see the bottom of the fish tank for ages , lots of fragments of plant roots going round and round the fish tank , being so light they dont go out the SLO , so i did a fish tank water change . Ive cleaned out two grow beds and washed the gravel , cheated a bit here i have a large cement mixer that fits on the back of my tractor :D Beds were loaded with roots and brown muck.

Ive had masses of tomatos , plants in the back corner were nearly finished and shoots from the base appeared so i cut the old canes out andthey grew like crazy . Ive done a major trim and trellis and there is still 50 odd Toms hanging some are trying to change colour , im thinking green Tomato pickles .

Silvers and Catties are not real interested in feeding water temp was 15c today , couple more growbeds to do and plant up.

Attachments:
May 2013.JPG
May 2013.JPG [ 260.53 KiB | Viewed 2598 times ]

PostPosted: May 28th, '13, 19:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

System 2 has been supplying Souper Dooper celery , have the back planted up with more celery and a few brassicas and peas . Im filling the front half of this system up with Strawberrys once the big celery and last of the Tomatos come out

Attachments:
Celery May 2013.JPG
Celery May 2013.JPG [ 262.61 KiB | Viewed 2598 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next