All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 19:05 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: huumon?
the small one in this pic is the one hanging over the side of the growbed. 20jan2.jpg

This big one tipped the scales at just under 1.1kg

Attachment:
bugzuc.jpg
bugzuc.jpg [ 67.48 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

I also saw this in Aldi and thought it would make a nice addition to my AP... I tried one of the chillies, it almost knocked my throat out - and I thought I had a fairly high tolerance.

Attachment:
chillies.jpg
chillies.jpg [ 79.76 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

My New System
My Old System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '13, 18:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

had my first major HSM today... been working nights so haven't really been paying attention to the system... thought I'd go down and throw some food to the SP... get down to the system and there's no water in the sump... as in maybe 2cm in the bottom that the pump can't reach to pump out.

Lucky for my goldies, they kinda live in the sump.

Sprint up to the tap, crank it open and go back down to figure out what the hell happened....

One of my growbeds had built up a bunch of algae under the water outlet and basically started overflowing. So water was making it out the site of the growbed but not back into the sump.

On a positive note, I found about 10 worms under the algae so I finally have a healthy worm population - I'd been looking for them for ages but had never seen any until now. I even seeded the beds with worms I found in the ground.

I ended up taking about 3cm off the standpipe in that bed and digging through the gravel under the water inlet to fix up the bed... looks ok now. SP and goldfish were both happy to eat.

My New System
My Old System

PostPosted: May 20th, '13, 15:57 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Went to check on the fish in my system and I figured out why I had a random death about a week ago. It looks like I have a pretty bad case of Saprolegnia parasitica.

Salted to 7ppm hoping to knock it on the head and save some of my perch. I also need to cure them before I migrate them to my new system at my house.

My New System
My Old System

PostPosted: May 21st, '13, 09:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

fish all still alive this morning, much more lively than yesterday. its slightly warmer but i am pretty sure its the salt effect. wish i had a hospital tank for 10ppt baths

My New System
My Old System

PostPosted: May 24th, '13, 05:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Checked on the fish again yesterday. All but one seemed fine and happy, no obvious fungus and swimming around healthily.

One small one, the same fish that made me notice the fungus in the first place was still pretty much covered in the stuff, and wasn't as lively as the others. Swimming around but seemed disoriented and kind of stiff.

As I don't have a dedicated hospital tank to be able to salt bath, nor the time to dedicate to doing so on a daily basis, I made the decision for the good of the rest of the fish and to not be cruel to the sick one to put him out of his misery.

Down to 23 from 25 originally delivered. Considering the stories around here regarding fish kills I think that's very decent for my first season's efforts.

My New System
My Old System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14