All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '12, 20:38 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Sometimes
Well it's been a while since I've posted. My initial system here has been re-worked.

From a simple F&D I have changed it to a CHIFT-PIST.

Firstly I had to move the galv wood shed from the position on the left to the position it has in the photo - all of about 1M to the right. It meant dismantling the shed as there was not enough room to prep the site, keep my system running and keep the shed intact.

Attachment:
IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg [ 102.29 KiB | Viewed 2460 times ]

Then I managed to get cheap a 1000L wine fermenting tank. Actually i had seen them at my dad's winery and thought "gee that'd make a good FT!". Due to the site I wanted to put it in, it couldn't be too wide, so I had to go for a smaller diameter but deeper tank.

Attachment:
IMG_1598.jpg
IMG_1598.jpg [ 116.92 KiB | Viewed 2460 times ]

The pic above is where the sump (old fish tank) will go.

Once the shed was moved and tank acquired, installation went ahead. The tank site was raised (a couple of times :think: ) and ended up being on 90x90mm permapine posts laid on the road base and permapine sleeper base.

Attachment:
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg [ 105.93 KiB | Viewed 2460 times ]

Water delivery is via 25mm poly pipe and is right at the limit of usable head height for my pump. Tank uses a 50mm SLO* out to the GB's of which there are two at the moment, and it goes slo - not enough input from the pump (too close to head height), but the GB's still manage to siphon, so I guess it's enough. But the SLO is still good enough to encourage 4 x 40mm SP into the GB's :crybaby:, lesson learnt, there is now fly screen mesh around the SLO inlet.

* I chose a 50mm SLO because I figured I could make the hole in the side of the tank bigger easier than I could make it smaller...

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 23rd, '12, 20:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just few more pics...

Attachment:
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1747.jpg [ 115.45 KiB | Viewed 2457 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1747.jpg [ 115.45 KiB | Viewed 2457 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Site of additional GB's looking to sump and relocated woodshed.
IMG_1750.jpg
IMG_1750.jpg [ 123.08 KiB | Viewed 2457 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 24th, '12, 09:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: my dogs think not
Small pipe sizes have a significant pressure loss due to friction. if you use a larger pipe diameter, you should get less pressure (head) loss, and so a higher flow. Would this make a difference to your system?

I've posted previously on this subject:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10124&p=286515&hilit=pipe+size+pressure+drop#p286515

Bythebrook's system

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '15, 21:08 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well it's been two and a half years since I've lasted posted, partially because the loss of a good friend, partially because I built a pizza oven, and I hadn't got around to doing any major work on it.

The pump and piping system works, it turns over probably less than is desirable, but the fish live, the garden beds fill and empty and it all kicks along happily without much intervention. System is nearly 4 years old now, I've changed the media in an existing garden bed to 14 mm white metal instead of the 10mm crushed red brick (which was too porous). The other bed is still using the 18 mm blue metal, which works very well.

I'll be swapping out the 18mm blue metal as it's difficult to work with. If the white metal is a success then I swap to that in autumn.

The fish tank is 1000L with approx 30 silvers bought in two tranches 1 year apart. There are 2 x 300L garden beds and 1 x 200L garden bed (new), and a 780L sump tank. The system is still a CHIFT-PIST system with the sump tank partially submerged - more for the gravity fed returns than anything.

I added the new garden bed after picking up the grow tray second hand for $50. It's shallow so I figure it'll suit leafy greens - it was worth the punt as the rest of the stand and plumbing I already had.

Currently there are tomatoes, spring onion, capsicum and basil in the existing 18mm 300L blue metal bed, corn in the other 300L bed with white metal, and more basil, iceberg lettuce, mignorette lettuce and kale (all seeded) in the 200L white metal bed.

I feed the fish a bunch of food morning and night, fish seem healthy, though its a bit hard to see them at the moment. The system is outdoors so is exposed to the elements of the Adelaide Hills. I haven't tested the water for a couple of years, but it all seems to be healthy :)

Attachments:
File comment: Digging out the dodgy base of one existing garden, but left the other mature bed in operation so the system could still do its magic and to seed the new beds.
IMG_5522.jpg
IMG_5522.jpg [ 133.42 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]
File comment: New garden bed finished
IMG_5543.jpg
IMG_5543.jpg [ 113.45 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]
File comment: New garden bed stand, made from offcuts and scavenged wood. Sump tank is to the right. Established garden bed to the left.
IMG_5507.jpg
IMG_5507.jpg [ 99.58 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]

Last edited by dustintheshelves on Jan 5th, '15, 21:50, edited 5 times in total.
PostPosted: Jan 5th, '15, 21:12 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Some more photos.

Attachments:
File comment: Corn in replaced bed on 5 Jan. In the background is the established bed with tomatoes, capsicum, spring onion and basil.
IMG_5608.jpg
IMG_5608.jpg [ 110.95 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]
File comment: Corn in replaced bed on 15 Dec.
IMG_5546.jpg
IMG_5546.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]
File comment: Replaced garden bed finished.
IMG_5544.jpg
IMG_5544.jpg [ 85.41 KiB | Viewed 1778 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '15, 21:18 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Last lot of pics :)

Attachments:
File comment: New garden bed with lettuce, kale and basil seedlings.
IMG_5610.jpg
IMG_5610.jpg [ 117.78 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]
File comment: Fish tank with a hacked up cover, partial shade cloth and tin roofing.
IMG_5609.jpg
IMG_5609.jpg [ 102.83 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]