All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Vlad J's system
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '14, 20:59 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
He vlad Nice system. How much wood do you use in a system over the winter and how coold does it get there?another question do you use aeration on your DWC?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '14, 00:07 

Are you human?: sorta
Thank you Arkieeskimo :)

3 to 6 cubic meters of wood, depending. It usually doesn't get much below -10C to -12C, but has gotten down to -25C at times a few winters back.
I don't bother heating until it dips below -3C to -5C as the thermal mass of the water keeps the GH air above freezing. As the winter wears on, and the system waters thermal mass has become exploited, it becomes necessary to fire up the pyrolytic stove when outside (night time) temps get closer to -1C to -3C.

No, I don't have any aeration in the DWC. I fretted about that one the first summer, but found that things did just fine without it...so I decided to forgo that extra expense.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '14, 00:17 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your thread and info :thumbright: I like your thought processes as they seem to align with my own.

Did you end up having more bug/pest/disease problems in your summer like you wondered?

Bobby

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '14, 06:28 

Hi swflcpl,

No it never really got bad. I noticed some thrips hanging out on the rafts, so I sprayed with a Spinosad A&D product, then introduced A. cucumeris (predator bug) that I purchased from Koppert, that seemed to take care of the issue.
I also seeded lots of Lady bird eggs that I would collect off of leaves on my property...So there were lots of hungry larva and adult lady birds around. Praying mantis' showed up all on their own. I kept a "dead zone" around the perimeter of the GH (about 4 meters wide) and would change footwear before entering the GH and didn't have too many bug problems. A few stray cabbage worms that were crushed by hand, and that was about it.
I now use a combination of biologicals (B. bassiana fungal spores, persimilis mites, lady birds, and other predators, Spinosad A&D) seems to work OK. I haven't had any spider mites in the GH, but have them at my store. I've recently "released the Kraken" on them though, so we'll see how that works out...I refuse to spray with anything toxic and the mites just bathe and laugh at what ever kind of human-safe/fish-safe spray I throw at them...So once again, I'm counting on natural predators (introduced of course) to save the day...

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '14, 20:53 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

yeah i'm throwing around the idea of DWC's also but Bigalow Brook farms aka web4deb on youtube showed a interesting video he did about air or no air and the result were perty eye openning....so because i'm Thrifty..."CHEAP" i'm thinkin of how i can use the flow of water to my sump to somehow run a compressor to aerate the beds.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 00:52 

Yeah, Rob's (Bigelow Brook) set up is probably a bit different than mine. Extra O2 is rarely ever a bad idea, but I find that I have really decent grow out times in the DWC without it.
It may be all the splashing 3 foot drops I have designed in, and my flow through (water) rate is definitely on the high end. My stocking density is low, so the total BOD (biological oxygen demand) on the fish side of things is also lower than some other peoples systems...all of these things probably help.
The only place that I do use additional air (two A8SL medium pore diffusers and a small air pump) is in my nursery trough (a 4' x 8' by 9 inch deep DWC bed for seedlings...for seed starting I use a 4' x 8' flood and drain table, I also air prune the roots on this same F/D table)...
Check out this other video/thread of Rob's (Bigelow Brook). http://community.theaquaponicsource.com ... 4#comments

Physical system design parameters, biological loading, operational strategies, environmental conditions...all of these things can/will affect your results in AP (or any system).

That sounds interesting...running a compressor with falling water...neat :) Please let us all know how you get it to work...thrifty alternatives are always appreciated by everyone, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 01:27 

Are you human?: YES
I'm curious about your root pruning setup Vlad. It makes sense but I haven't seen others mention doing this. Could you post a couple of pictures of how you do the root pruning and explain the process? I read about the seedling setup in the other thread but this was just mentioned and not fully explained. Thanks.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 02:03 

Hi scotty435,

Here is the relevant thread on air pruning with some pics and explanation...

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com ... 1#comments

I often refer folks over at APSource to BYAP and vice-versa...so I hope no-one minds all the "cross-pollination"...

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 13:13 

Thanks for the link Vlad that was pretty interesting. Both ways look good, I didn't know about the copper sheet method of root pruning. I'll give these a try when I prep plants for my almost completed DWC setup out back. I'm going to try DWC using an air gap under the foam, rather than floating - but it'll probably be next spring before this is going. In another week we'll be below 10 hours of light per day (not to mention the hours and hours of clouds and rain this time of year so not much growth without added light)

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '14, 21:13 

Good deal scotty435. You've probably already looked into this guy...B.A Kratky from the University of Hilo...he wrote somewhat extensively about his experience with passive (no pumps) hydroponic techniques. One of those techniques involved using such an air space under your raft to provide enough O2 to the plant roots...
Might be word a read (ignore, of course the whole non-recirculating aspect, not possible in AP, but the airspace was interesting. I have a friend in Serbia doing peppers this way).

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaii/down ... ettuce.pdf

http://ag.arizona.edu/ceac/sites/ag.ari ... 402097.pdf

PostPosted: Oct 30th, '14, 07:01 

I found those after I watched a YouTube video of someone using the Kratke method on some lettuce. It's been awhile but as I recall he lets the water level go down as the plants grow which I may or may not do. I figure just having a standpipe with a set level would probably work just as well.

I'm going to be hooking this to the RAS system I built this Summer. I thought I'd try using this to feed the DWC and use pump running at intervals to move the water within the DWC as needed.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '15, 05:58 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
Pretty amazing stuff you're doing I think may need to cut the hole in my sump tank a bit larger so I don't hit the lid. Any more info about the bacteria that was isolated from soil and re-introduced to AP?

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '18, 06:42 

Hi Vlad, hows life

~Backyard farming~