All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vlad J's system
PostPosted: Jan 30th, '13, 03:19 

Are you human?: sorta
We should petition the Gov't for a 'sliding scale' depending on how big of a bio-ponics system you have... :drunken:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '13, 04:16 

...and if I manage to surpass even those new legal limits, I can always direct the nice officer to my biological phosphate recovery operation i have going in the building next to the GH... http://community.theaquaponicsource.com ... -flowering

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '13, 04:20 
I'm not sure we need to hear about your doping regimes Vlad... even Lance Armstrong kept them quite... :lol:

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '13, 04:40 

Yes, I suppose Sir, that you are right (as you usually are). Though I hear the "Mighty Lance" is creating quite a raucous these days...threatening to testify...out in the open, and bring some big wigs down off their high horses...

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '13, 04:55 
Sometimes the truth just needs to prevail.... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '13, 01:00 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Nice setup Vlad and it's great to see the healthy green plants even in the Winter.

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '13, 21:34 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Wow Vlad, nice looking veggies there.
I'm glad I stumbled upon your thread over here. (I don't get my subscription notices anymore and don't have much time to spend on any forums much lately.)
But anyway, Really good looking stuff.
You guys with the careful chemistry monitoring/balancing skills (Vlad, Ryan, Jesse) produce some gorgeous veggies. I sometimes feel I'm flailing about on that side and just get lucky part of the time.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 06:57 

Thanks TC. I'd happily trade for some of your (incredibly vast) practical experience :)
Yeah, I bet the new farm takes up quite a bit of time and energy. (Man, I'm sotra gonna miss hearing about the trials and tribulations with your half retarded-anal retentive neighbors you had at your last place...bet you're glad you won't have to deal with that kind of non-sense anymore :)

Attachments:
File comment: I put out about half the new Red Summer Crisp lettuce seedlings today into the production troughs. Figure i'll get to the rest tomorrow...
IMAG0212 (Medium).jpg
IMAG0212 (Medium).jpg [ 151.91 KiB | Viewed 1429 times ]
File comment: The Bok Choy is lookinh fine and ready for sale this week.
IMAG0208 (Medium).jpg
IMAG0208 (Medium).jpg [ 100.92 KiB | Viewed 1429 times ]
PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 08:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
That Bok Choy looks fantastic :thumbright:

Mine have been getting decimated by caterpillars :( One of the perks of a greenhouse or shade house i suppose. ;)

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 09:13 
TCLynx wrote:
You guys with the careful chemistry monitoring/balancing skills (Vlad, Ryan, Jesse) produce some gorgeous veggies. I sometimes feel I'm flailing about on that side and just get lucky part of the time.

That's alright TCL.... 99% of the current commercial aquaponic models, and operations... are based on that premise... :lol:

Funny... only about 1% of commercial aquaculuture or hydroponics operations are based on the same premise... and most of them don't last past two years... :wink:

Somewhere along the line.... the stories been sold that backyard aquaponics... and backyard amatuers ... know better than either of the two industries.... :D

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 17:39 

Lucky for my dumb ass, neither of those two industries really exist or have much a presence here. Location, location, location :) The few fish operations we have up north are pretty much still raising fish in the way the medieval monks here were...just with maybe bigger muddy holes in the ground...Most folks have never even heard of hydroponics...it's not the AP part that is amazing to them, but the fact that you can even grow plants in water at all using any method/input.

Building a stable grass-roots network of customers for a niche market is/was probably much more 'difficult' than plants, fish and bacteria...I mean really. If your using the term commercial, Rupert, in the sense that I think you are, you can count me out. Take it up with the folks in the "Commercial Aquaponics" thread...There's just no way that I could compete at "commercial" prices with "commercial" growers, selling a "commercial" product...At "commercial" volumes...Not a snowballs chance in hell. But as it stands the AP portion of the farm is already generating slightly more monthly income than what the average monthly wages are here in my region/county. (Even running at about one third winter capacity). Which is not to say, we're rolling in cash or any such silly thing...it's more a reflection on how very poor wages are here.
Besides, I'm 40 so it was either build the AP GH, or buying that '68 Camaro :)

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 19:42 

I remember a while back while reading anything I could get my hands on about the topic of commercial AP...It seemed like there were a bunch of guys on some of the other forums who's idea of commercial AP was basically:

They go to a bank or approach investors...borrow a bunch of cash...then have other people not only build their systems and the structures that house them, but run things day to day while they sit in front of the computer analyzing the curves on Sasha Grey's ass and planning their next exotic vacation...All the while never having to get their hands dirty or do any actual 'work'...While the cash just rolls in and they get a decent ROI and/or wage...
If anyone can figure out how to make that model of 'commercial' AP work, all the power to them. (And I'm not referring to you Rupe). I don't really see that happening anytime soon (or possibly ever...we'll see how things in Dubai work out...)

My wife and I do everything here, we have no workers or anything like that) so it's really just a big-ish backyard system at heart, and I for one have never anywhere claimed otherwise. (It really is in our backyard)... and a 200 sq.meter GH hardly constitutes a 'commercial' empire. But it's big enough for us.

Long, long ago, we started doing A LOT of local market research, customer outreach and education (about AP...as well as giving out samples of various produce (grown in the 'o'rganic garden)...which one cannot buy here in this country...things like like Bok Choy...open head Nappa cabbage etc...zucchini (believe it or not)... we did much of this and more long before our system was running. Doing this kind of leg work and relationship building was paramount (at least here in our set and setting it was) in creating a comfy customer base on which we can rely on, and they on us (2 way street).

Jumping into even a small 'hobby farm' system without understanding local market forces is really a pretty bad idea. Doing that sort of stuff without my wife would have been really, really hard...since I'm pretty much an asshole, and she is very sweet, intelligent and communicative...Bless her vegan heart.

People will need to figure out a way to make whatever version of AP they wish to engage in... "commercial" or otherwise, work for them...in their particular and unique set and setting...But the technology itself isn't really rocket science (though it sure could be in a truly "commercial" setting)...as attested to by the great number of people in this on-line community and others, who are successfully 'growing stuff'. (Though I must admit, every once in a while you do come across some people to whom I would not entrust to their care, a crayon drawing of a plant or a fish, let alone a real live AP system...but I digress)...

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 20:09 
Oh agreed Vlad.... much comes down to the definition of "commercial"....

And I'm happy that you're drawing the equivalent of a wage from your endeavour.... but having paid yourself (essentially from cash flow).... and your running costs, taxes, deprecition etc...

Are/you be actually running a profitable business... a commercial business.... or just a breakeven hobby farm...

I'm not disparging the latter....To those, like yourself... that are trying to "walk the walk".... kudos... and I've always said likewise to anyone else that has done the same....

I just have doubts that the so called "commercial aquaponics" "farms of the future"... actually have any sound basis to credibility... as they're being presented.... usually by people who aren't actually "farming"....

And to the basis of the model being "taught"....

But as you say... that's best for the "commercial" thread... here in this thread... it's about your acheivments.... and your acheivements are perfectly valid... and worthy.... :notworthy:

P.S... as to true agri-business style commercial aquaponics.... I think you will see some major developments announced shortly... both here in OZ... and the US... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 20:39 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
Very elegantly put Vlad. I wish I was good making the words join up....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '13, 21:56 

Thanks Rupe I appreciate the kudos...I really do...and rsevs3 (BTW we too had caterpillar problems with all the chinese brassica stuff in the ground...just not in the AP GH. Probably has more to do with the time of year here and their life cycle than anything I proactively did...we do practice a half assed 'bio-security protocol for the GH though...nothing too stringent. I full on expect to have to deal with pests when the weather warms up and the critters come out :( A halfway decent IPM will hopefully keeps things manageable though.

Yeah, I hear you Rupert, but I'm so not in the loop. I've not taken any classes/courses of any kind anywhere...so I have no idea what is being taught, or how it is being presented, but I do understand your concerns. i was really taken aback at the amount a 'charlatan-ism' present on the web surrounding profitable models of AP...and ridiculous claims of "how easy AP is" as well as the unrealistic grow-out times and densities being touted by some. I mean, heck, AP has it's advantages, but it's not friggin 'magic'...And it is hard work and requires that you know a heck of a lot about many many things...and not just fish, bacteria and plants (pathogens how they operate, under what conditions, various pests...their life cycles, how to safely deal with them blablabla)...
Anyone who thinks that there exists an 'easy' method of farming is kidding themselves...
As to profitability...we see how that pans out in the mid-long term...right now it's a GREAT way to generate some cash during a time of year when not much else (besides our soap making endevours) goes on. It is allowing me to have some money on hand for early spring...when I'll need fuel and fertilizer for my peach orchard...Seed and materials for the garden...the 'profits' of both when their time comes, then go for all that is needed for fall planting...'the profits' of which then go back in to stuff I'll need for winter and the AP GH...and so on in a big circle.

As a 'stand alone' item, IDK if the AP GH would be a profitable business or not, it's just to early to tell. I need to work on the next phase... of increasing production area with some NFT (even if it's used only seasonally, because of NFT's peculiarities...depleting O2 in the dead summer heat...being a big cold sink in the winter blabla)...and perhaps some vertical elements to eek up useful production area out of the same GH footprint. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be able to better answer some of your questions in a solid and meaningful way. At the moment, I'm just not able to... without making any unproven claims of my own...which I'm not willing to do. I will however try and do all that is within my power and capacity to make this work...otherwise it would be just a really expensive hobby...So far though it is going well.
I'm really intrigued by your P.S?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next