All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '13, 15:43 

Are you human?: Yes
I promised a picture or two by way of introduction.

Attachments:
File comment: A close up of the box.
Aquaponic box week 1.JPG
Aquaponic box week 1.JPG [ 212.42 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
File comment: The first planter box and plumbing.
planter box setup.jpg
planter box setup.jpg [ 144.21 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '13, 22:08 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Gidday, welcome to the forum.
Sooooooo, tell us all about the experiment AT.

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '13, 13:29 

Are you human?: Yes
I started working with my pond and fish several years ago and last summer I got the idea of trying out Aquaponics. The plants I had in my bio filter and the water plants on top of the pond did extremely well so it was a logical leap forward for me.

My first step was to put some pea gravel on the top of my smaller bio filter and to that I added a couple tomato plants. The plants grew really well but the roots could not penetrate the gravel and I ended up with massive root balls on the top of the tank. It was late in the season so I never got any tomatoes but I proved that they would grow well with my pond water.

Over the winter my old pond ruptured and I was forced to abandon the project or start from scratch and rebuild the whole thing. I didn't have it in me to destroy my fish so from November through June I have spend every spare moment rebuilding the pond.

As I did the pond work I kept in mind my goal of adding some grow bins and using one of my pumps to supply the water. In the picture I posted you can see the results of the first bin. I used the largest bin I could find at the local supply store.

The bin is about 32 inches long and 14 inches deep. I filled it with one bag of Hydroton and one bag of Growstones. I was going to stick with Hydroton but it is no longer available. I also researched various types of fill and drain systems and settled on home built Bell siphons which drain back into the pond. The fill is a continuous trickle which is timed for around a 10 minute fill and drain cycle.

After the first week of growth things are looking good. It did take the plants a few days to settle in and it took me nearly a week to fine tune the Bell Siphon so it would give good start and stop performance. Today I added a second grow bin and this one used two bags of the Growstone. I worked with it till dark this evening and managed to get it up and running.

Because I am using two different types of growth media I think this will be very interesting to watch and report on over the next few weeks.

The fish I currently keep are Goldfish, Koi, Bluegill and Catfish. Because I had to reduce the size of my pond after the previous failure I now have too many fish. This has made balancing the chemicals tricky. A secondary reason for the aquaponics was to benefit from the plants cleaning up the water.

If there is interest I will report back and share my experience with the outdoor growing scheme I am working up. I am also working on a small worm bin and Black Soldier Fly larvae in order to keep the Bluegill happy.

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '13, 17:06 

Are you human?: yes
Good luck, I look forward to seeing more images. I'm new to AP too and hope to build a small system once I have moved to a new house.

Kind regards