All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 17:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Ian is not selling Skrettings anymore???? NOOOOOO!

Joblow can you email me details for the Tas producer? (I hope you still have my email address). We may need to get some enthusiasts together to share the load.

Thank you also to Ian at Ideal. You have done great job and I have enjoyed our dealing as well.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 18:10 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
I decided it was time to upgrade a few things, I started with a larger air pump and a 250mm membrane air diffuser.

The larger Hailea HAP-120 Air Pump puts out 120 L /minute (7200 lph) drawing 125watts and has a Noise Level: less than 45dB.

I then built a larger air manifold with 2 x inlets, one for the pump and the second for the 12v backup compressor, with 6 x outlets to supply air to the 250mm air diffuser in the fish tank, a degassing barrel, MBBF, mineralisation tank, sump and wicking beds.

There's also a Hailea 70 L /minute air pump running directly to the fish tank as backup in case the main air pump breaks down. It's tidied up things in the powerbox and it all runs a lot quieter now.

Attachments:
DSCN1691 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1691 (Small).jpeg [ 137.44 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
DSCN1694 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1694 (Small).jpeg [ 129.38 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
DSCN1696 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1696 (Small).jpeg [ 115.28 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
DSCN1702 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1702 (Small).jpeg [ 153.24 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
DSCN1720 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1720 (Small).jpeg [ 99.8 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
DSCN1723 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1723 (Small).jpeg [ 125.17 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 18:37 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Nhibbo wrote:
Ian is not selling Skrettings anymore???? NOOOOOO!

Joblow can you email me details for the Tas producer? (I hope you still have my email address). We may need to get some enthusiasts together to share the load.

Thank you also to Ian at Ideal. You have done great job and I have enjoyed our dealing as well.

Email sent

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 19:07 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Our power company decided to do some maintenance on their poles and cables and notified us we'd be without power for up to 8 hours last Sunday.

Being a Sunday I knew it would go the full 8 hours, those guys just love their weekend penalty rates. :upset:

I wasn't too worried because I had the 20 amp-hour backup battery and a generator if I needed it, the power went off at 7:30am as scheduled, my 12 month old backup battery lasted 2-1/2 hours only, that is the second battery to throw the towel in within a few hours.

I've spoken to the experts and they tell me it's definitely not the cold weather killing them off, they told me to disconect the trickle charger on a regular basis and don't have the battery on charge continuously, or even leave the charger off once the battery is fully charged.

The 20 amp-hour battery has now been replaced with a new 45 amp-hour battery and I'll disconnect the charger, and see how that goes.

Attachments:
DSCN1727 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1727 (Small).jpeg [ 127.59 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
DSCN1725 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1725 (Small).jpeg [ 133.75 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]

My Fish:
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 19:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Hey Joblow, have you ordered and received the feed?
I would have gone halveys or thirdys if someone else wanted in.
If so please send me the detail also.
Thanks, Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 19:41 

Are you human?: no
joblow wrote:
Our power company decided to do some maintenance on their poles and cables and notified us we'd be without power for up to 8 hours last Sunday.

Being a Sunday I knew it would go the full 8 hours, those guys just love their weekend penalty rates. :upset:

I wasn't too worried because I had the 20 amp-hour backup battery and a generator if I needed it, the power went off at 7:30am as scheduled, my 12 month old backup battery lasted 2-1/2 hours only, that is the second battery to throw the towel in within a few hours.

I've spoken to the experts and they tell me it's definitely not the cold weather killing them off, they told me to disconect the trickle charger on a regular basis and don't have the battery on charge continuously, or even leave the charger off once the battery is fully charged.

The 20 amp-hour battery has now been replaced with a new 45 amp-hour battery and I'll disconnect the charger, and see how that goes.

Hi

is that pump a diaphragm pump or linear pump. I was trying to find a piston pump that is quieter than diaphragm pump ?

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 20:13 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hi bardynt,

It's a piston pump and quite noisy, it's backup only and the noise would drive you crazy if it ran 24/7.

My Fish:

Last edited by joblow on Jun 15th, '18, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 20:27 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
joblow wrote:
...don't have the battery on charge continuously, or even leave the charger off once the battery is fully charged..

Yea, keeping the battery at absorb voltage will shorten its life.
My 24V 150AH backup air system, which runs all the time in parallel through a small inverter to a Hailea 60lpm air pump is charged by solar in the day, and for 25 mins every 2 hours from late afternoon until just after sunrise with a small 230V charger. I have the charger on a WEMO switch, so can remotely control it from my phone, and give the battery a bit of extra charging, in 25 min sessions, during the day if it is very overcast.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

Last edited by Gunagulla on Jun 15th, '18, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 20:28 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Petesake wrote:
Hey Joblow, have you ordered and received the feed?
I would have gone halveys or thirdys if someone else wanted in.
If so please send me the detail also.
Thanks, Pete.

PM sent

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 20:35 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Gunagulla wrote:
joblow wrote:
...don't have the battery on charge continuously, or even leave the charger off once the battery is fully charged..

Yea, keeping the battery at absorb voltage will shorten its life.
My 24V 150AH backup air system, which runs all the time in parallel through a small inverter to a Hailea 60lpm air pump is charged by solar in the day, and for 25 mins every 2 hours from late afternoon until just after sunrise with a small 230V charger. I have the charger on a WEMO switch, so can remotely control it from my phone, and give the battery a bit of extra charging, in 25 min sessions, during the day if it is very overcast.

Thanks for that Gunna, that backs up what the guys told me at Battery world, I know nothing about batteries and hearing from you is appreciated. I'll disconnect the charger and leave it off until the battery is discharged.

Remotely controlling it from your phone would be a handy asset, I'll Google WEMO and check it out.

Thanks again.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 20:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Bummer about the batteries. Seems like a lot of trouble to need to disconnect it. I thought these fancy new chargers had some kind of smarts in them?
I recently had to install new diaphragms in our Hako Matala L80 and learned that the large volume pumps have multiple pumps inside. Ours has two, the next size up L120 has four pumps in parallel.

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 21:24 
In need of a life
In need of a life

boss wrote:
Bummer about the batteries. Seems like a lot of trouble to need to disconnect it. I thought these fancy new chargers had some kind of smarts in them?
I recently had to install new diaphragms in our Hako Matala L80 and learned that the large volume pumps have multiple pumps inside. Ours has two, the next size up L120 has four pumps in parallel.

Boss I also thought that modern trickle chargers had all the options covered, apparently not.

I've had a quick glance at installing new diaphrams in the manual of my Hailea and it looks simple enough and I get some spare diaphrams for it. I also read that the diaphrams age and possibly crack with an ambient air temperature above 40C, it definitely gets way above that inside that powerbox on our 42C days, so I'll put a fan back in there.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 21:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I've got ours out in the open, however when the pump started showing signs of distress I noticed it was very hot. I think you are correct that high temperatures harm the rubber diaphragms and escalate their demise. However it may be a chicken or the egg situation as it may also have been the cracked diaphragms in one side of the dual pump that hastened the demise of the other because the coil was overheating the interior of the housing. I wonder this because the air flow was fairly (half as?) strong in the month of intermittent shut downs. On the other hand the salesman said the diaphragms should last a year or more and you know how salesmen do (skip the more part) lol!
I should have bought the diaphragm kits right away :think: As you know these large volume air pumps are expensive. I actually was surprised when my wife okay'd the purchase of the L80 and may have been in a bit of shock at the time :D
Brian

PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 23:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: well, ......am I??
Hey joblow,

....I suppose you do NOT put the manifold into the water??
The plumbing on the air-diffuser - is it stainless or galvanized?

If galvanized - what's your take on zinc, chrome and whatnot dissolving in to the system?

Cheers,

thjakits

PostPosted: Jun 16th, '18, 05:30 
In need of a life
In need of a life

boss wrote:
On the other hand the salesman said the diaphragms should last a year or more and you know how salesmen do (skip the more part) lol!

The only spin I believe from salesmen is from the "Snake Oil" guys, you know exactly what they are selling you. :laughing3:

I actually was surprised when my wife okay'd the purchase of the L80 and may have been in a bit of shock at the time :D

If my wife knew what I paid for mine, neither the pump or I would still be here. :naughty:

Brian

My Fish:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next