All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 16th, '14, 21:28 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
those ibc's look nicely painted matthew, what paint did you use? does it scratch off really easy?

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 16th, '14, 21:43 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
I just used a cheep spray paint from a local hardware store (Bunnings) the paint is called "fiddly bits" gave it a couple of coats and she came up nicely. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 16th, '14, 21:47 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

So far so good, no scratches. The system is only 4 weeks old.

PostPosted: May 19th, '14, 16:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

http://youtu.be/ZJTVMQO2VQo

PostPosted: Jul 2nd, '14, 09:16 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: not for much longer
been out of AP action for a couple of years since moving house but finally here's my new system, 1000 lt IBC FT, half IBC sump and a bathtub grow bed with a stand pipe, 1300 lph pump, 15 on 45 off.
I do plan on expanding and upgrading some bits, would like a bigger pump etc. but I was able to knock this up out off stuff i already had around the yard/shed.
Attachment:
File comment: basic mock up and test fill
20140626_172227.jpg
20140626_172227.jpg [ 114.56 KiB | Viewed 9320 times ]

Attachment:
20140702_103815.jpg
20140702_103815.jpg [ 120.23 KiB | Viewed 9320 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: growbed and sump
20140702_103804.jpg
20140702_103804.jpg [ 97.29 KiB | Viewed 9320 times ]

And I just wanted a water feature, but then I made my own filter and I'm only a noob!

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '14, 12:44 

Are you human?: yes
I'm new here, this is my first post.

I'm not sure if my system belongs here or in the large scale system. I've just got the basics of my aquaponics system started. currently it has 2 275g IBC totes as fish tanks, and 1 275g IBC tote as a sump tank. so far I only have 1 grow bed built, planning at least 3 more of similar size.

The first grow bed is a DWC bed that is 4 ft by 7 ft 6in. and 14in deep. the drain pipe only allows it to fill to 12in though. I plan to have one more DWC bed of similar size and at least 2 media beds. I currently do not have any filters in my system, but have noticed no solids building up at all. the system has been running with the totes for only about a week now. previously it was running for about 2 weeks with a 20 gallon rubbermade bin as a sump tank and a 55g barrel as a fish tank.

I have 30 goldfish in the sump tank and another 5 spread between the fish tanks and the grow bed... my fish tanks and sump tank have started to turn green. I got the sump tank covered today, but still need to cover the fish tanks to block the sunlight from them.

my aquaponics system can be seen on youtube at [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdM6X1OQHw&list=UU376x6RkQhwcxMzGV3gs_kg[/youtube]

the pictures I have are to big to upload here,.. I need to fix them or take new ones in order to upload,.. if i'm able to edit this post later I will upload some pics later.

I have my system built so I can easily add onto it. the stand i build to hold the IBC totes for the fish tanks, i built big enough to hold 6 IBC totes. and i have plenty of room to add many more grow beds. I've also been toying with the idea of an above ground pool as a grow out tank for the fish when they get bigger, may add that on next year.

As far as the fish are concerned, I currently only have goldfish. I am not able to get tilapia here without a commercial wildlife possession permit. the non-commercial permit excludes any invasive species. I am still in the application process for getting the non-commercial permit. once i have that I will be getting bluegill and channel catfish. I'm planning to start with 100 of each.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '14, 11:58 

started my system about a month ago,.. had it running with its current set up for about a week and a half. currently I have 2 IBC totes as fish tanks, with 1 IBC tote as a sump tank and a home made grow bed 4' x 7'6" with a pond liner in it. the grow bed is a floating raft DWC bed. on one end of it I have 3 smaller grow beds sitting on top of 2 4x4's suspended across the larger grow bed. those 3 smaller grow beds will be removed when i build my second grow bed. I have built this system so that i can easily add onto it. I have left pluming unglued at key points to be able to just remove a cap and add the pluming in for future expansions. the total water volume in the system is about 950g. more then half of that in the fish tanks.

the pics I have of my system are too big for me to upload. i'll have to figure out how to get my phone to take smaller pics I guess,..
Attachment:
File comment: had to crop this image so much that it doesn't really show much,.. but these are my ibc fish tanks.
IMG_0270.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG [ 233.8 KiB | Viewed 9185 times ]

I have a few videos up on youtube about my aquaponics build.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '14, 22:35 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Been at it a couple months, and like many others I am hooked.

1000L IBC FT, 600L approx IBC ST, 4 x 300L approx IBC's, all flood and drain. 18000LPH pump running 24/7. 1 fish (read my system thread to find out why ahaha), plants in 2.5 beds.

About to move entire system which will be tops >:/. Once again read thread of why I am crazy.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113294.558362.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113294.558362.jpg [ 404.4 KiB | Viewed 9158 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113268.965711.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113268.965711.jpg [ 359.39 KiB | Viewed 9158 times ]
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113251.840675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408113251.840675.jpg [ 381.87 KiB | Viewed 9158 times ]

Build thread- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21974&start=75

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '14, 06:54 

ImageImageImageThis is an update on a small system I built in April this year. There are 2x ibc with a dozen small goldfish in one and a dozen rainbow trout in the other. The system has already produced several harvests of bok choi and pak choi. The snow peas are exploding with produce and i have broccoli, beetroot, red and brown onions, lettuce all coming on well. I havemy tomato, capsicum aand Chilli seedlings nearly ready for planting already.

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '14, 10:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Very neat system!

Does the cling wrap help much?

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '14, 10:47 

The glad wrap was put up to stop the winds from blowing plants out of the GB. It worked well for that but has also taken the wind chill factor out allowing everything to really take off. The downside is now pak choi and bok choi have bolted and starting to flower and go to seed. I was dubious at first of any thermal benifit the cling wrap might have as the top is still open but the results speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '14, 10:46 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've just posted some updates in the introduction section. I've only been doing BYAP since June '14. I'm in Augusta, Georgia, USA. I'm pretty new to gardening and AP, but did aquariums back in the day.

BYAP is a big-boy's Lego system to say the least. What fun.

I've not made any major mistakes yet. Not one gold fish has died yet (out of 32) and the plants are still green. But much more to learn.

Some key things I've learn are:

- Using crushed coral maintains my pH level very nicely - keeping it in the moving part of the sump water.
-- STILL NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GET MY (KH) UP - or if it really matters with good coral in place.

- Shade is my friend - so is white corrugated PVC panels. I used three small panels for top and sides.

- Some no-water-pressure bulk-heads can be made for $1.47 with grey electrical fittings and O-rings (or recycled bicycle tubes).

- If you're going to recycle a cat litter container to use as a filter box, you best raise cat fish. LOL

- Beans, tomatoes, and squash take up a lot of room in an indoor grow-bed. Stay with the lettuce-like plants.

- Ensure your SLO rests FIRMLY at the bottom of your fish tank - or you may have fish in your sump (if they make it thru the filter box. Oops - caught them in time.

- I've supplemented missing nutrients by alternating between a little Liquid Seaweed and small amounts of ForaMicro (only 2-3 tbsps) every three weeks. So far, so good. Don't want to overdue it.

I've been lucky. I've had ZERO algae build-up and the tank sides are sparkling.

All other levels are perfect, I think:
- Ammonia = 0
- Nitrites = 0
- Nitrates = 40-80 (who knows for sure, the colors are the same to me)
- KH = 0 (hmmmm)

Even with outside temps over 100 degrees, the FT stays at 80-82 degrees (F).

The system made it through its first Biblical rain storm this summer. The fish never got wet.

Take care all.

Attachments:
File comment: I can be anal at times. But only sometimes.
label_uncovered_side.jpg
label_uncovered_side.jpg [ 301.51 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]
File comment: Need to paint or stain the wood. Or.... build a new one!!! YES.
label_overall_covered_FT.jpg
label_overall_covered_FT.jpg [ 239.54 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]
File comment: Ready for the weather.
AP_covered-1.jpg
AP_covered-1.jpg [ 201.31 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '14, 21:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Looks good Chris!

PostPosted: Aug 30th, '14, 09:31 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Colum. I really don't like how it looks, but I am a little amazed at how well it works in the hot Georgia sun and the indoor GB. I want to keep redesigning and adding on, as any new AP person would, but the outdoor season will be near an end soon and $$ is tight at times. I have a deck to complete as well.

I've tried to be very patient when I stood up the system. I cycled it for nearly a month ironing out all the kinks. Maid some mistakes, but since I cycled it WITHOUT fish, no harm was done.

All good stuff though.

PostPosted: Aug 30th, '14, 21:10 
A posting God
A posting God

What lights do you have on the indoor gb?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next