All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 13:09 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
I'm pretty sure you can say Organic without being certified. We sell our organically grown eggs and cherries at a local organic market with that description. Certification is not worth the cost for hobby size enterprises.
I've owned this property for over 20 years and have never used anything outside the bounds of organic growing, and most of the inputs such as chook feed are certified organic, but the cost of becoming certified is about as much profit as I make in a year!

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 13:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yep, anyone can use the term "organic", just so long as you don't say "certified" or try to use one of their logos.. Love the look of your cherries.... :)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 13:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
cheers guys, thats what i thought.....

We will be also using "bio-dynamic practices" (working with a biodynamic and organic farm helping) for our new place to :) Organically certified is approx $3.5k and 3 years, done a 8 week (3 hrs 1 night per week) teaser course

New place for my new systems - move in Easter Thursday

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-lifestyle-sa-hope+forest-7394056

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 14:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Thanks EB, I make sure I keep plenty here to make lots of cherry jam and cherries in syrup and brandy or bourbon, to last me to the following November :)

Just to keep it on topic, my system will be about 4000l, but I have to do some earthmoving, probably next week, before I can start putting stuff in place and get some pics.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '13, 16:36 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
For your information...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile ... nopgeninfo

I found this especially interesting,

"Organic products have strict production and labeling
requirements. Unless noted below, organic products
must meet the following requirements:

-Produced without excluded methods (e.g., genetic
engineering), ionizing radiation, or sewage sludge."

How are aquaponic farms in the US getting certified if use of "sewage sludge" is prohibited...?

And then you have this FAQ (for meat and poultry) from the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the US Department of Agriculture.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/larc/Org ... espons.htm

"Will brand names, which include the name Organic, be allowed as the principle brand name or will they be restricted to the signature line as is presently restricted?

Ans. – Unless the product is certified as organic, brand names will not be allowed to include the term "organic" as the "principal brand name," except where products are exempted from certification and may bear the term "organic" according to the National Standards. However, FSIS will continue to allow the word "organic" on a label as part of the manufacturer’s name only in the signature line (e.g., "Nebraska Organic Beef Company"), in an inconspicuous and non-misleading manner."

And finally, what looks to be the official word from the USDA...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile ... DEV3003509

"Section 6519(b) of the Act provides the Secretary with the authority to review use of the term, "organic," in agricultural product names and the names of companies that produce agricultural products. While we believe that the term, "organic," in a brand name context does not inherently imply an organic production or handling claim and, thus, does not inherently constitute a false or
misleading statement, we intend to monitor the use of the term in the context of the entire label. We will consult with the FTC and FDA regarding product and company names that may misrepresent the nature of the product and take action on a case-by-case basis."

So... legal... MAYBE. But sticky ground nonetheless.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '13, 11:47 

Are you human?: YES
cbrumf2 wrote:
H&ROrganics wrote:
cbrumf2 wrote:
What great looking growth!

H&R Organics... are you actually organic certified and would you mind explaining how you're filtering such a large system?

No we are not certified yet but working on it :) We use a drum filter and biofilter system.

Be very careful about using the wording "organic" if you're not certified. I know there can be a HEFTY fine for doing that, up to $10,000 per each unit packaged is last I heard. I'm not sure if that only applies to using the word on the packaging or in the company name as well? I would hate to see such a beautiful operation take a hit, just trying to look out for a fellow grower.

How efficient would you say your operation is? In other words, do you re-introduce excess undissolved solids back into the system after they have been dissolved? Or do you do like a lot of folks and just discard the undissolved solids through filter drainage/cleaning and use them in some sort of regular garden?

Thanks!

Yeah we are very careful about that, we don't use the term Certified in any packaging we use.

We use a septic tank system which we fill from the fish house and water the green house but we do not send it back to the fish house. It goes back into the septic tanks and we just add new water as needed. Seems to work very good for us.

PostPosted: Mar 17th, '13, 12:42 
When you say a "septic tank" system.... do you mean a "grey water" system.... laundry/shower water....

Or is it more a composting/bio-septic wastes system....???

PostPosted: Mar 18th, '13, 10:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Half and Half
Makes my 4500L system look like a baby :(

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 19:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Hi all.

10,000L with 2 * 2,500L fish tanks, 5,000L in ground sump, RFF with the drain auto feeding a digester every 12 hours. Stocked with Rainbow Trout and Silver perch.

Still two more grow beds to build along with 10 - 12 half tubs for the herbs so the growbeds are left for the fruiting plants.

Attachment:
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg [ 267.56 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1695.jpg [ 264.84 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg [ 267.64 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]

System MKII
System thread

Datalogger

220L system II

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '13, 22:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Not on Mondays
The laws changed only a couple of years back when I was studying organic farming. I'm pretty sure you can no longer use the word organic to describe your product unless you are certified.

You CAN on the other hand claim that your product is 100% chicken breast. Based only on what proportion of chicken went into the gloop that you sell. E.g. If it is 1% chicken but of that 1% is all chicken breast you are legally allowed to advertise your product as 100% chicken breast.

Visit my blog at http://seedtoseed.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '14, 08:13 

Howdy Backyard Folks!
This greenhouse is at a juvenile detention facility in North Carolina, USA called Stonewall Jackson. It a 2,400 sq ft greenhouse with a 600 gallon tanks, a 20ft raft, a 20ft pipe system above, and 5 flood and drain stations, each 4'x8' and a 120 gallon fish tank. It is a hands-on facility that uses aquaponics to teach science, math, and food justice. I would post pictures of the students, but by law, I can't.

We have all of our school installations on our website. We donot sell aquaponics systems, but create ones designed for each school's educational needs.
www.100gardens.org

Attachments:
tank.jpg
tank.jpg [ 95.36 KiB | Viewed 11376 times ]
raft.jpg
raft.jpg [ 195.2 KiB | Viewed 11376 times ]
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg [ 150.79 KiB | Viewed 11376 times ]

Garinger High School Aquaponics Program

Juvenile Corrections Aquaponics Program

Aquaponics in Haiti

IBC System with Crushed Brick Medium
PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '14, 07:36 

Are you human?: mostly
I really like the pipe system you have above the raft! I might have to steal that idea for myself!

PostPosted: Feb 4th, '14, 05:19 

Thanks Tom! You have to be careful about tiered systems. The pipes above can be straight up or slanted. During the winter, when the sun is at a lower altitude, the raft and the pipes can get full sun. Although in the summer, when the sun is more straight above, the pipes will shade out the raft. During the summer, we hang the pipes straight down vertically so that they do not shade the raft.

Aquaponics in Haiti

PostPosted: Mar 21st, '14, 18:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Sam100gardens wrote:
Although in the summer, when the sun is more straight above, the pipes will shade out the raft.

It looks from the picture you are using a glazing that deflects light, eliminating shading. I haven't seen mine in summer action yet but I was counting on deflection to build tiers.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21897

PostPosted: Mar 25th, '14, 04:49 

Hi Nova, yes the glazing diffuses light but this does not eliminate shading. Shading is a major problem with tiered systems no matter what the glazing material.

Aquaponics in Haiti

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next