All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 144  Next
PostPosted: May 9th, '13, 07:24 
Looking good Dasboot...

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 9th, '13, 20:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Today's progress,the frame has been converted and the barrels fitted,I have come up with a much better ideal for the water delivery,that's tomorrow's project,plus the return pipes to be repositioned,needs more drop.
The socket for the standpipe is going to be changed this time with holes as low as possible,when I took the barrels apart,because the return holes were maybe an inch up there was sitting water in the bottom of the grow bed. When I did it I didn't think it would be a problem,but as iam using an existing pond,even though it's covered I still have algea. The amount that gets through the settlement and brushes then gets filtered out by the media. The standing water had become thick green sludge,just perfect for anaerobic activity. The modified socket stops this by draining right down and with only two holes it's a nice slow trickle back to the pond. I have noticed that after draining down,the first flow after switch on is green,so it seems to be emptying the grow bed better
I am thinking of partitioning the second settlement screwing some shade cloth and filling the partion with it to try and filter out more of this green scourge.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 91.38 KiB | Viewed 6038 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 112.49 KiB | Viewed 6038 times ]

PostPosted: May 9th, '13, 21:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes, but not proudly
Looks good, Dasboot. Going to be fun to see the veggies in and growing. We have to wait until the buildings are ready before the real fun starts.

I know you can do it, but....better you don't!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Domani-Aquaponics-Thailand/630010393681321

My system: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16254&p=407926#p407926

PostPosted: May 9th, '13, 22:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Many thanks Paul,but god isn't hot through the afternoon,how stupid not to do the shade cloth first then work underneath it Duh....
You going through the same storms ? God it has rained here the last few nights,power outs to go with it,nothing to long thankfully,we must of had several inches of rain in a few hours last night,don't know where it all comes from lol.

PostPosted: May 13th, '13, 16:10 
A posting God
A posting God

Update,the second set of barrels are now plumbed in,both returns redone with more drop and a straight feed from the outlet of the barrel,into the return pipe. I have covered these two with shade cloth,I need to make this a lot sturdier,otherwise come the rainy season it could end up in the next village,still a work in progress as they say.
I had planted Chinese celery and is was looking good,until I dropped a branch on them,oh well half survived and maybe the squashed will recover. In the first four beds I have planted,chillies,the celery,one bed has been sprinkled with lettuce seed,there is hopefully two types of basil and finally coriander. My fingers are crossed.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 117.21 KiB | Viewed 6015 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 122.7 KiB | Viewed 6015 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 133.52 KiB | Viewed 6015 times ]

PostPosted: May 13th, '13, 18:37 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: What is human?
I am literally green with envy at that yard dasboot!

With rain, it doesnt really matter too much if rain falls directly into you pond/growbeds. Where you need to be careful is having runoff getting into your water. There have been a few documented cases of people with runoff getting into their system causing big problems.

Hopefully as your growbeds come online that will knock out most of your green water. Algae does not grow so well with no nutrients :)

PostPosted: May 17th, '13, 09:34 
A posting God
A posting God

The new growth seems to be going ok,the first of the seedlings are up,these are sweet basil,the Chinese celery has recovered from being squashed,but the chilli plants leaves are yellowing. These were seedlings i transplanted a week ago,so iam hoping just shock from the move and not a lack of nutrients.
I have been unable to find Seasol,Maxicrop,or anything similar,there was a post on here from a gentleman in Chaing Mai,concerning a product Florigen as a product similar to Seasol,the search continues.
The Ph is checked daily and it's fixed at 7.2.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 103.4 KiB | Viewed 6008 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 125.29 KiB | Viewed 6008 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 140.83 KiB | Viewed 6008 times ]

PostPosted: May 18th, '13, 14:53 
A posting God
A posting God

What a difference a day makes,the lettuce have decided to make an appearance and everything else is growing strongly. I know the orchid is not strictly Aquaponics,but it is watered with pond water daily,seems to like it. The green cast is from the shade cloth,in case you were wondering.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 99.41 KiB | Viewed 5981 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 154.49 KiB | Viewed 5981 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 129.77 KiB | Viewed 5981 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 1st, '13, 15:44 
A posting God
A posting God

Well nearly two weeks since the last update and as you can see in the pics quite a change,everything is doing very well,we now have lettuce,pak Choy ,both of these need thining out as I was a bit over zealous with the seeds. There is one Tomatoe plant,I had read they weren't the best choice in a new system,but I had one seedling,felt sorry for it and in it went,there some type of beans,father in law gave me the seeds,so obliged to plant still there growing really well,I will put some canes so they have something to grow up. There are chilies,Chinese celery,sweet basil,another type of basil not sure what it is,it came from a cutting,mint,garlic,I regenerated some spring onions,I had read that if you trimmed the root off,soaked it in water for an hour if replanted it would regrow,so next time at Tescos bought some onions to try and it worked. I think coriander completes the list.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 101.95 KiB | Viewed 5925 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 87.98 KiB | Viewed 5925 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 103.02 KiB | Viewed 5925 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 1st, '13, 15:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Still a bit to do,still need more gravel for the last barrel,so it's not planted yet,then there's the next eight beds,second pump and then increase the stocking. Was given the other day a rather large Mekong Catfish,roughly 2 kilos,it certainly looks good cruising around the bottom,whereas the other fish are hand trained being quite happy at feeding times to literally suck your finger tips,he is still staying out of the way.
Just remembered my Algae issue has almost gone,I can see the bottom of the pond now,so a combination of 75% shade cloth and the grow beds taking off it really has changed the appearance.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 135.33 KiB | Viewed 5965 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 92.55 KiB | Viewed 5965 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 88.34 KiB | Viewed 5965 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 1st, '13, 18:46 
:cheers:

PostPosted: Jun 1st, '13, 19:55 
A posting God
A posting God

I have done a little more landscaping around the edge of the pond,just trying to keep the most amount of light out I can,but the result is a lovely tropical pool feel about,it is nice on an evening to sit drink the odd beer and just watch the fish. My bruiser of a tilapia,if he's hungry enough he is hand tame,quite makes you jump when he comes from nowhere and brushes past your hand,the catfish,if you hold the pellets in your hand will actually try to get in to get them. The koi and the smaller tilapia are now quite happy eating lettuce and cabbage,in fact I reckon they enjoy the chasing it around the surface and of course the light goes on for a few hours,some nights the amount of bugs they get is amazing,especially the flying ants.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 178.81 KiB | Viewed 5938 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 161.78 KiB | Viewed 5938 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 177.09 KiB | Viewed 5938 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '13, 11:18 
A posting God
A posting God

Another week and all is going well,the shade cloth is coming off and iam turning it into a polly tunnel just to protect everything from the rain,it's not until you do something like this that you actually appreciate just how heavy sometimes it comes out the sky.i can shade cloth then inside.
I have found Calcium Hydroxide and Monday could see the end of the search for Potassium and EDDHA iron,fingers crossed.PH is hovering at 6.7 at the moment.
Next stage is four more growbeds,second or larger pump,shame here they don't do low wattage pond pumps,everything seems to be from China and is very hungry on power. The second settlement chamber is going to be turned into a filter bed and then nft tubes for lettuce,pok Choy etc.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 128.95 KiB | Viewed 5901 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 137.26 KiB | Viewed 5901 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 106.51 KiB | Viewed 5901 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '13, 16:59 

Dasboot, your pond shots look fantastic and those grow beds look so healthy. I can imagine sitting and watching that pond, sooo tropical.

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '13, 18:18 

Are you human?: yes
Fantastic project and location, Good luck,
will be following this thread with admiration.

Kind regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 144  Next