All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 31st, '13, 09:05 

Are you human?: yes
I started out with a couple plastic bins that I had. One was double the size of the other so it became the fish tank. After I got this setup going, I decided that I needed another bed and I just happened to have another bin just like the other bed. I got this set up and everything was going great. Lots of lettuce and strawberries from bed one. In the new bed I put some tomatoes and peppers that I started as well as some cantaloupe and watermelon seed and let them start growing like crazy.

A few weeks ago I moved and set up my hot tub to become the new fish tank. After finally getting the beds relocated to the tub and replumbed, I was back in business. The fish love the new tank. I just got another dozen golfish today and added them to the mix. I tried to make a video diary of the progress on my youtube channel. Here is the setup as of last week.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 17th, '13, 00:33 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
Any updates?

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '13, 11:06 

Ronmaggi wrote:
Any updates?

I do have some updates. I have been keeping a video diary of my progress on my youtube channel YouTube.com/RevtosTV. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It has been raining most of August so I have been draining the tub a lot to get rid of the excess water. I have (in my opinion) too much algae, and the growth seems to have slowed down some probably as a result. I still need to get an air pump to aerate the beds and the fish tank but have not had any money to get one yet. I also plan on getting some of the algae eating fish to help get rid of some. The jalapenos and the tomatoes have been producing fruit on a regular schedule and growth seems fine but I do have some discolorization of some of the older leaves on the tomatoes and the strawberries. I am hoping they are just oxygen starved and all I need is the replacement air pump but we will see.

The good news is that I have not had a dead fish since I switched to the hot tub as a fish tank. I hope to get a few more beds before fall to try to get some fall crops going.

PostPosted: Aug 30th, '13, 06:10 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Definitely need to add a bit more shade over the fish tank to reduce the amount of sun hitting the water, that will help against the algae more than any air pump will. The floating plants might need to be restricted into a corner that will get sun and then get some major shade over the rest of the fish tank.

Some additional aeration would probably be good for your fish though.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Sep 1st, '13, 11:34 

Great ideas! I like the "covering up of the tank" idea. I was thinking about doing this before I got your post. I also thought of getting some algae eating fish to help out as well. As funny as it sounds, I have been saving up for a new $10 - $30 aerator for the tank and the beds (I've been unemployed for some time). Will post results when I get these accomplished, hopefully this week.

PostPosted: Sep 1st, '13, 18:29 

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
Well, luckily shade can be managed for rather cheap. It can be as easy as some big old chunks of cardboard (of course those won't last long outdoors) or an old tarp with some scraps of wood or pipe to support it above the water. I've even used an old sheet or blanket but they will deteriorate in the sun so you may not ever want to bring it back inside.

Algae eating fish will mostly only eat surface algae and they won't protect from the oxygen depletion that can happen overnight with an algae bloom.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Sep 7th, '13, 23:19 

I have got some things done lately. I got a new air pump, a new 5" air stone, an algae eating fish, and even found time to cover up the fish tank. I even added a new homemade filter to try to keep the tank water cleaner.

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '13, 01:43 

I got a few things done lately. I made a mock up filter design to use temporarily to help clear the water quality some until I decide to replace it with a swirl filter.
Here's the plans:

Then I added the new filter design to the aquaponic garden and trimmed the tomatoes and strawberries. I pulled the jalapenos and replaced them with romaine lettuce. Now I just need more crops.

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '13, 22:20 

Modified the new filter for better flow, and planted more lettuce. Iceberg again!

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '13, 07:09 

I decided to make a homemade sand filter to satisfy my need to build and to try to clear up the water a little.

Then I designed a swirl filter and installed it in the system. Busy week.