All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '13, 03:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Carbonbased lifeform
My system is based on this design http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-an ... tem/#step1, but like with everything I do mine is not so tidy and with a lot of changes that might or might not work... :shifty:

Anyway... here are some pictures.
Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 74.14 KiB | Viewed 4343 times ]
I would like to raise it up so it's level with the window and will probably do that further on.
Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 132.68 KiB | Viewed 4343 times ]
I decided to put a loop siphon instead of a bell siphon in order to get more space inside the growbed.

My plan is to make a few "strawberry towers" from PET-bottles like a window farm but using the excess power from my pump to have a constant flow through them. I hanged 4 bottles not yet painted in the window so you could get an idea. I reckon I can put 16 bottles with a plant in each in just that window.

The plan is to cycle the system with compost tea, fermented nettles and seaweed extract for 2 weeks and then buy some goldfish.
Attachment:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 138.31 KiB | Viewed 4343 times ]

Here is a picture where you see the fish tank and my plumbing made from a 3€-garden hose splitter.
I added about 6 liters more LECA yesterday but the water cleans up nicely. It was pitch black the first day.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '13, 00:39 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
I thought about going with Antonious racks for my indoor system. But I decided it was too small. The funny thing is that the larger racks at Ikea don't fit their totes. Either the totes are just a little too big, or way too small.

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '13, 01:45 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes, the system is a bit on the small side. But it has it's advantages too. Like you can fit it in the bathtub while you learn about waterpumps, siphons and couplings without risking flooding the entire 3rd floor of you apartment buildning. :whistle:

The system was really cheap and you could take the whole thing with you on the bus home from IKEA.

And you can actually move it even when it's full of water. Weighs +50 kg but...

The plastic bin's "SAMLA" does fit in the wire frame but it doesn't hold water that well, it bulges.

Thinking of getting one more ANTONIUS-frame to put beside this one and just have a floating raft system without any siphon leading back to the fish tank.

But have already got two 200l (55gal) "blue barrels" to build a second system in the next window.

PostPosted: Aug 23rd, '13, 08:23 

Are you human?: only on Tuesdays
Nice set-up, love the strawberry idea. You're fortunate to get some natural light through those windows. I have one small window that I could use but it's North-facing anyways so I don't think it'd be very useful.

You have a good month head start on me. I'll look out for your updates to get an idea of what's been working.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '13, 01:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks, LittleBeat!
My windows are also northfacing, north-northeast, but gets some sun in the mornings now during the summer.

Have just got some LED-growlight and hopefully the growth will be better.

I've decided to use this system as a "Peeponic"-system and will wait with adding the fish until I've build my second system from an old aquarium.
Am going to see if I can get some fish for free. There are a lot of people who buy goldfish for their ponds and just flush them come autumn.

Here is a picture update of the growth. The Basil has grown quite nicely but my salads have just about died. They've been very "spindly" (right word?) and have laid themself down after a while. I hope the growlights will help with that issue.
Attachment:
SAM_0480_resize.JPG
SAM_0480_resize.JPG [ 270.32 KiB | Viewed 4099 times ]

I planted a borlottibean-seedling in the mittle that I've had to cut down two times allready, it grows very fast and shades the other seedlings.

The tomato cuttings I put in at the start haven't grown or changed apperance at all. That little experiment seems not to have worked.

Have some coriander that I'm looking forward to seeing grow. Have never been able to grow coriander at home before.

Strangely the watercress hasn't grown anything...