All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '13, 18:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Carbonbased lifeform
Here is a video of my second system, you can see my first small system (without any fish in it) to the left of the growbed.

the Facts:
It's a 375l aquarium with a 80l growbed at constant flood and about 2 liters of "bio-balls" in the fishtank (it's the black bag to the far right of the aquarium. I also have a very simple solid filter with cotton pads that I change when they're dirty and two "dishballs".
I'm doing water changes now, but planning to get one or two more growbeds.

the Back story:
I got my koi under strange circumstances. Got 16 koi in a bucket as a surprise gift from a new friend who read on facebook I was interested in aquaponics. So she went to the pet store to get me some koi, and got a great deal if she bought them all so the owner could make room for the winter season. I think she paid 50€ for all of them...
But I didn't even have any water in my aquarium when I got the fish, or a cycled system! Lets just say it was a very happy, but busy day setting the whole thing up, and a lot of stress and even more water test and water changes for the next 6 weeks until finally the NH3 and NO2 read "0".
When I called the store two days after I got them to see if I could maybe return some of the fish he had already emptied their tanks and used the space for gerbils. So I didn't have a choice but to try to do my very best at keeping them alive.

Unfortunately, but perhaps not very surprising I've lost two fish. Strangely enough I didn't loose any during the cycling but one small fish last week, and one big (my favorite) yesterday. I don't know why they died, but they showed great signs of brain damage. Flashing, looping, lying on the bottom on upside down. The first one last week I put in quarantine in a bucket with an air stone and added salt, it died after two days. The last one was bigger but had gotten very thin and passed in under 24 hours. I bought some "general tonic" at the petstore but it didn't have any effect.
Right now I'm worrying about losing them all to some bacterial infection... Got any advice?

The readings seems to be fine. NH3=0 NO2=0 pH=7

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 5th, '13, 08:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
What is the scrubbie at the GB inlet for?

Sent from my newfangled doodad using TapaTalk.

Happy bees and homebrews in Lyons, CO

PostPosted: Nov 5th, '13, 09:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Carbonbased lifeform
BenBrewcat wrote:
What is the scrubbie at the GB inlet for?

It's for filter out solids. There's quite a lot of stuff getting caught in there... I was a bit worried about clogging the system and flooding the apartment. If I filter out all the scales and whatnot I sleep a little better. :)

PostPosted: Nov 9th, '13, 20:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Nikenik wrote:
I'm doing water changes now, but planning to get one or two more growbeds..................

Do it at once, you need to increase your filter capasity with such high fishload

Nikenik wrote:

the Back story:
.........................So I didn't have a choice but to try to do my very best at keeping them alive.

And thats what you are gona keep on struggeling at (keeping them alive)
You should sell or giveaway minimum 10 of the remaining 14, or cull.
Pick out the 4 most healthy looking,to keep, out with the others fast.

Nikenik wrote:

...........................Right now I'm worrying about losing them all to some bacterial infection... Got any advice?

See above
If the 4 survive dump 2 more, 2 koi is more than enoughf for a living room set up like yours

cheers