All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 00:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
LoveintheApocalypse wrote:
Would you recommend not using the Cloram-x for some reason or is it more that the alternatives you mention are simpler, cheaper, more available?

I should definitely get another barrel for top off water thanks for reminding me.

I'm in the nearby area (San Ramon, using EBMUD water) and I'm using an inline kdf & carbon filter on my water line running to my system - and it's made everything so much easier. No more treating buckets of water - just turn the water valve on, and make sure you turn it off ;-). Cartridge was $35ish from the local hydro store in Dublin.

PS: the owners of that hydro store do aquaponics at home, and are in the process of opening an aquaponics store. That means a local source of fish, and they have skretting trout pellets. Their store is "The Lucky Garden". Tell them Scott sent you.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 07:37 

Carbon filters require a longer resident time to remove chloramine, which may be ok in a situation for small top ups etc although this may only be effective until the carbon is saturated which would then render it useless until recharged.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 12:23 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Charlie - you're right about straight carbon filters. The filter I use has kdf85, then activated carbon. The kdf does most of the work.

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 12:42 

Cool, no probs, missed the finer details sorry.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Dec 29th, '13, 18:13 

Are you human?: yes
smatthew wrote:
LoveintheApocalypse wrote:
Would you recommend not using the Cloram-x for some reason or is it more that the alternatives you mention are simpler, cheaper, more available?

I should definitely get another barrel for top off water thanks for reminding me.

I'm in the nearby area (San Ramon, using EBMUD water) and I'm using an inline kdf & carbon filter on my water line running to my system - and it's made everything so much easier. No more treating buckets of water - just turn the water valve on, and make sure you turn it off ;-). Cartridge was $35ish from the local hydro store in Dublin.

PS: the owners of that hydro store do aquaponics at home, and are in the process of opening an aquaponics store. That means a local source of fish, and they have skretting trout pellets. Their store is "The Lucky Garden". Tell them Scott sent you.

That sounds awesome on both counts, thanks for the info. There isn't any plumbing in the vicinity of the system at this location except for a hose, but I'll definitely keep that filter in mind for the future.

I've been looking everywhere for some fish locally, I'll give them a call for certain. I would be so thrilled if they had fingerlings in stock, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Do you have trout in your system?

PostPosted: Dec 30th, '13, 00:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I have channel cats, minnows, and mosquito fish. I believe the summer would be too hot for trout.

Here's a link to a paper on reductive dechloramination http://www.kdfft.com/pdfs/Reductive_Dechloramination.pdf

PostPosted: Dec 30th, '13, 00:50 
A posting God
A posting God

Nice looking system LTA. Hope you get your fish soon...looking forward to seeing the progress. Nice looking stucco work. Like Ron said, a 94 lb bag of portland mixed with sand will save a bunch of money.

PostPosted: Dec 30th, '13, 01:29 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
As long as you keep your topups small, chloramine should not be an issue. If you are concerned, West Marine sells the filters that go inline with a garden hose. I don't bother though...

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '14, 15:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

same, every time i mention this i get bashed that it doesnt work for others but .

i lose 15-20% water a week in the hottest summer months... during these months we get little rain. I top up my tanks without treatment and I have never lost a fish in 4 years to doing this.

Different fish have different chlorine/chloramine tolerances with channel catfish being the most susceptible of the fish i have raised.... Tilapia and bluegill have a fair amount of tolerance.

I learned this through forgetting and leaving the hose on for 12 hours and coming back to a completely clear water tank. The full account is somewhere on this forum, use the search function if you want specifics.

brian

Reproducing Sunfish (Bluegill/Redear/Crappie)
Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

PostPosted: Jan 9th, '14, 06:14 

I messed up, added too much ammonia and now doing a water change of about 50% for starters.

The system has been cycling for a week and change, I've been testing the water and I'm consistently getting a PH of 8.4, and Ammonia of 8.8+, Nitrite at 0.0.

Too much ammonia to establish as I understand it, so unfortunately I've got to dump a bunch of water and try again, being much more conservative with the ammo this time.

Rookie mistake I guess.

PostPosted: Jan 9th, '14, 06:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

To the best of my recollection, ammonia over 3ppm will start to inhibit the bacterial growth

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '14, 13:21 

So I've been letting this system cycle away and I've got a bunch of Nitrites going but not too many Nitrates yet. It's getting there. What I have got in abundance is some very green water and it's getting greener. I hustled up and got some seeds going in the beds, hopefully they can start to compete with the algae for the nutrients.

I can cover the tanks to block out the sun but I'm wondering if I need to make permanent arrangement to block all direct sunlight or just a temporary tarp till the algae goes away. I attached some lovely photo's of the aforementioned green water for your viewing entertainments. :wave:

Attachment:
fish 16.jpg
fish 16.jpg [ 194.07 KiB | Viewed 1331 times ]
Attachment:
fish 15.jpg
fish 15.jpg [ 263.14 KiB | Viewed 1331 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '14, 15:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

The algae will go away on its own. I cover my tanks in the summer to protect from the heat of the sun but you wont have 90+ degree water problems in oakland.

However, depending on your fish you may want to put a net on your tank to keep them from taking walks. I usually leave much more clearance between the top of the tank and the water level.. at least 6"

Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '14, 16:44 

Hey bcotton, thanks for the reply. You really think the algae will just go away? I don't have to do anything?

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '14, 16:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

There's other posts that explain why this happens... it has something to do with the way the algae will die off and then some sort of algae hormone or something is left to inhibit other algae from coming back... you may get another bloom in a year or so but they usually only last a few weeks.

regardless of not really understanding why, i have seen algae blooms come and go and i dont worry about it in the least.

Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next