All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bodgy's Scrapyard AP
PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 16:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Martin, I thought you might have some good snake stories yourself.
And you didn't disappoint. :thumbright: Your Mum didn't mollycoddle you either eh? :lol:
Just saw your new post, okay now she's just plain awesome! :notworthy: South Africa does breed a certain strength of character from what I've seen.
When I was little tyke in a country town I was shown the "dead snake" danger by an older bloke who thought I should know, certainly never forgot it. Since we were surrounded by cane fields it was a good lesson to learn

Sikpuppy65, Pierre the Amazing Spelunking Comet is still with us and his two replacement mates are kicking along well. All have put on a fair bit of size, I'll have to take some pics when I visit next. He's a survivor and his (?) fins have recovered nicely and still sporting the dapper little moustache too.

Katmac, I always had bad reactions to snakes (like the Taipan incident...) but luckily the Red Belly Black snakes on that property managed to get me over my fear. The first one got the adrenaline pumping good and hard but it got a little bit less stressful every encounter until now where I reckon my pulse slows when I see one, which should hopefully be a good thing if I ever get hit... :think: It's a theory at least. :lol:
Pretty keen to head out fishing this weekend, was going to tonight but still bleary eyed after last night's big game and atypical drinking session. The high tide should be at a good time fri and sat evening so worth a shot. Three adult bream should be a good number in the FT by now I hope.

Thanks for the kind words all, I'm still fairly fresh to actually running AP and don't have too much on the way of systems yet but I'm sure they'll grow. Lurked for a long time then decided to get active on the forum way before I set anything up.
I'm probably much more visible on the forum than I should be with my low level of AP experience. Can't help but join in discussions and always up for some banter. :wink:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 16:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

ps katmac - taking on dugites is not for the faint of heart!
So yep, your Mum gets one of these too.
:notworthy: :D

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 16:40 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: 01111001 01100101 01
Hi Bodgy, thanks. :D

Yeah I was snake mad as a teenager, especially the few years we spent on the farm. Used to go out and turn over rocks and stuff to find them. Had a small library of snake books.
When you mention fearing snakes I found I got over it with knowledge, once I knew all the snakes and their characteristics and understood their venom and poison levels it made things a lot easier. So I knew when to be unafraid and when to be terrified. :D

My room (a.k.a. "The Lab") was full of cages which at one stage contained: 2 owls, hamsters, 3 different snakes, a duckling, a scorpion, a monitor lizard and some whip scorpions.
The owls were given to me as babies, the nest had been destroyed. I did not keep them as it was too cramped. Gave them to a cousin that had fenced his entire backyard into an Avery. They used to swoop down and catch mice out of his hand.

The snakes kept on escaping which always made life interesting in the house. :)
Whenever I heard someone shout something like: "Martin one of your snakes is in the bathroom!" I was always tempted to shout back: "None of my snakes are missing!" :D

The hedgehogs roamed free in the room but I let them go after a few months as they were not doing well in captivity. The one morning my mom came to wake me up and started screaming, I thought it was a little hectic and was getting up saying: "Okay okay! I'm getting up." It turned as she stepped up next to my bed one of the hedgehogs thought her toe was a juicy worm and gave her a sharp nip as a taste test. We laughed till we ran out of breath when we figured out what had happened. They are the cutest little things you've ever seen.

The monitor lizard was the most interesting catch. He was about 30cm long, so still a baby, and was lightning fast. He used his tail as a whip to defend himself which was very painful. When I eventually cornered him and captured him he clamped down on my index finger. For the life of me I couldn't get him off. So I walked him with a monitor lizard stuck to my finger. Wasn't funny at the time.

Anyway I better get some work done!

Regards, Martin.

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 07:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Sounds like your teenage years were pretty cool Martin! :)

Turns out that breams nickname "the pigs of the sea" is appropriate.
I'd added 60 little gudgeons and 10 tiny goldfish to the FT and unless they are really good at hiding they've been eaten already and the bream is looking quite fat again.
Was kinda hoping they'd last a week at least while the bream learned to like pellets.
Guess I'll have to trap more gudgeons myself instead of buying them, sticking to below bag limits again of course. Which is only 20 fish annoyingly, seems strange that I can have 30 bream in possession but only 20 little gudgeons which are very common and found in very high numbers to boot. Such is life I suppose.
Not really interested in heading out every day or two to resupply but has to be better than buying them from the breeder.
I'm guessing their habit of sitting stationary on the walls and floor of the FT make them too much of an easy meal.

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 14:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Managed to get a pic of the bream in the FT for you Martin.
Fat thing it is now since it ate all the fish I added. (60 gudgeons and 10 tiny goldfish!). Some might be hiding in the IBC drain though I suppose so it might not have eaten them all.
Guessing I need to set up a barrel or a spare 2' tank to keep its food in and ration them out in future.
Its dorsal fin has some new damage but nothing too concerning yet. I'll have to keep an eye in it and see how it progresses. Heading out tonight to try and catch one or two more to keep it company.

Attachments:
greedy pig of the sea.jpg
greedy pig of the sea.jpg [ 113.47 KiB | Viewed 1432 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 14:47 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES, on my best days
Disease damage or bird damage you think bodgy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 15:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

No problem with birds luckily, the FT opening is reasonably small and the problems with the goldfish massacres were at a friend's house. I'm suspecting/hoping it's still a just bit ragged from capture.
The night after I added the feeders I could hear it thumping around a bit as I assume it was picking them off the FT walls so maybe it roughed itself up a bit? I'm yet to relocate the pump and plumbing too and where it is now the fish could possibly rub on it accidentally and that could be the cause too.
It isn't fungal as far as I can see and I think it's the fin membrane itself slightly pulled down from the tips of the main dorsal spines.
The cold weather can't be helping either, had ice on my windscreen a couple of times this week so it has been a bit chilly.
Apart from the dorsal fin it seems healthy and apparently eating well, scales are flat and the previous fin damage I noticed hasn't gotten any worse or spread. Still reasonably optimistic for it at this stage.

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 17:18 

Hey bodge, on a different subject, make sure you pull out that flexible pipe from your pump now and then and give it a good hose out. I did my distribution pipes to the grow beds religiously every month but for some reason I always forgot to do the one from the pump. It was only when the flow from my pump was so poor I thought it had died, then I cleaned it, I was amazed how much crud came out of it. And the pump was fine.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '14, 17:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks for the advice Charlie!
Is there a better material you'd recommend or should I just clean it regularly?
I'll hose it out tomorrow, may as well move it to the rear of the tank while I'm at it.

I'm only moving it for looks really, might be a hassle having it at the back in hindsight.
If I need to get to the pump or pipe I can see that being a problem.
To be pretty or to be sensible... not really keen on it hanging over the front of the GB permanently.
Guess I can always hook it out with a blunt gaff like thing when I need to service it.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Finally got my Mojo back! :dance:
On the way home from work I noticed a local drainage ditch was almost empty with the lowering tide. It leaves a nice trail of debris in the water that is a great natural berley stream so I raced out with a rod and a few baits.
Twenty minutes and three baits later had three bream in the buckets.
Had to wade out 100M and dodge some annoying stingrays that wouldn't move away but well worth it.
When I first moved here I thought this looked like a great flathead spot but all I caught were stingrays and hadn't tried it again. Glad I gave it another chance with a slightly different strategy.
One of the bream swallowed the hook so I'll see how it goes, it will be a good test of catch and release techniques for deeply hooked fish.
One fish was barely legal, one was reasonable and another which is close to 30cm and fat as mud.
Looks strangely small in the pic but I swear it's a decent size, maybe I have large hands... :shifty:
As a bonus they're the first fish I've caught on my 1936 vintage Alvey reel. :headbang:
All three are currently acclimatising gradually to freshwater in a tote and will join my lonely bream in the IBC tonight.
I finally have a little school of fish! :D

And just noticed, geez my thumb looks like a big toe... Will that do? They're a bit too spiky to hold with my feet... :lol:

Attachments:
1936 Vintage Alvey.jpg
1936 Vintage Alvey.jpg [ 89.32 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]
New bream.jpg
New bream.jpg [ 137.95 KiB | Viewed 1402 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:21 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hey Bodge'o great work on the bream. I would also be interested to know how the deep hooked one goes. Hopefully he will be okay.

Photos are fine and your thumb is much better looking than Charlie's toes so no worries there.

That reel is really something.

What is a "natural berley stream"?

Regards, Martin.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Americans would spell it "Burley" or call it ground bait, I just meant there was a nice trail of debris and small critters being forced out of the safety of the creek/drain and flowing out into the bay. I thought it would attract and hold a few fish.
Berley is just a mix of nice smelling stuff to get fish on the bite and hungry, usually breadcrumbs mixed with finely chopped bait/fish oils etc. Enough to get them eager to eat but not enough to get them full. If I was cleverer I would have grabbed some to take with me but I only had a short window of time before it got too dark and the tide got too low so I forgot to bring it.
Mind you, Tiger and Bull sharks are a popular target around here (or were until the maximum size limit was brought in for sharks) so standing knee deep in a berley trail wouldn't be an overly clever idea I suspect. Would certainly bring in a heap of stingrays at the very least and there were plenty enough of those as it was.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:36 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Thanks Bodgy, appreciated all the info. Would berley be similar to chum then?

Sounds like a great experience, fishing with stingrays.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Ahh yes, that's the other term! Definitely aka chum. :thumbright:
And I'm stoked to have finally caught fish with the old reel, that has taken way too long.
I deliberately only brought it along so if I had luck it would be the one that got the catch.
Luckily they were only small rays, one tiny one in particular would have fit nicely in the IBC but I fought the urge. :wink:
I really don't enjoy unhooking them one little bit.

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '14, 16:43 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Glad to fire the old neurons regarding the chum. :)

How did you get the old reel, as an heirloom or are you into vintage items?

I've never caught a ray but I have seen someone on the beach trying to unhook one, looked like a three act opera.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next