All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sep 22nd, '18, 21:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good to hear from you Elias, sorry you're having issues with the fish portion of your AP. You'd think carp would be more tolerant to water issues, I guess you're learning that isn't the case.
I hadn't had issues with carp ulcers in our ponds, but I'm curious so I looked it up https://www.pondexperts.ca/pond-advice-tips/how-treat-ulcers-in-koi-goldfish/
Oh boy, so I can see how fixing the problem can be exasperated by the relationship of fish and plants in aquaponics.
I did have ulcers on our trout at one point and so I know what you're going through, thinking "how do I get an infectious disease out of the biofilter and grow beds?" What type of fish are you raising?
Perhaps you've already thought of switching to a fish species that doesn't get carp ulcers as a workaround?
Brian

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '18, 19:54 

Are you human?: Yes
Yes Brian. It's a living thing! I feel bad when they are sick, scratching my head for solutions. Next year trout, something that raises the GH and Kh and not the PH and a Bacci House filter. Suggestions? Some kind of mineral kick? Seaweed?
Elias

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '18, 22:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
If you can get the sick fish out of the aquaponics system and into a quarantine tank, you'll open more options in treatments. https://www.pondexperts.ca/pond-advice-tips/how-treat-ulcers-in-koi-goldfish/ . I'd add a UV sterilizer to the system plumbing after the biofilter to kill waterborne pathogens.
I bought one of these inexpensive UV sterilizers. I'd been told, "they don't last more than a season or two," so cheap is okay.
Attachment:
UV-sterilizer.jpg
UV-sterilizer.jpg [ 54.63 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

:?

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 06:17 

Are you human?: Yes
Have two quarantine tanks. Treated them with salt as a first step. After that with antibiotics and let them stay to "clean out" in smaller tank. Ulcers back after a month. Have a 4" 75w UVC before the MB. Why after?
What is waterborne pathogens? Where do they live and how do they develop/emerges? Thanks for the link.
Elias

Attachments:
PowerUV75w.JPG
PowerUV75w.JPG [ 26.81 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6