All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dan in Adelaide
PostPosted: Nov 16th, '14, 15:22 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: morehumanthanhuman
Heres poor little mongy, dont know how he survived - i think he was blind because he always swam into the cleaning net!

Attachment:
File comment: 100g, no top to his jaw - what a survivor!
010 (640x480).jpg
010 (640x480).jpg [ 165.64 KiB | Viewed 2814 times ]

my system

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '14, 15:56 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I had one the same this year. Must be a Tooperang trait! He met his maker a couple of weeks ago when I was losing 1 every other day for no apparent reason.

I have also removed most of my older plants which were starting to bolt - that was yesterday's job in the garden.

The problem is, that the less vegetation covering the GBs, the hotter the water gets, which in my case is not good as I try to nurse the trout through the next month.

I have looked at the long range weather forcast & it is actually quite positive - shame I am very doubtful of it's accuracy. Fingers crossed my cynicism is unfounded.

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '14, 18:21 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

shadecloth dropped my temps by heaps, some draped on the side of the gb's, and the roof covering ; went 70%, plants are just fine with it

my system

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '14, 18:34 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just wondering team 41, do you have an air pump? losing a fish every 2 days or so sucks, and realisticaly must be due to either lack of O2, too much ammonia, or too hot... my thoughts anyway... i kno theres more that can go wrong, but like mechanics ,follow the simple steps - O2, food, clean water, temp...

my system

PostPosted: Nov 16th, '14, 18:37 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

... sorry, "4 airstones", how much do ur fish eat? Mine monstered the food every feed, i over fed on purpose (cause i wanted big fish...)

my system

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '14, 21:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hi Dan,
The air pump is a 45lpm Hailea - so should be doing a fair job.
I am also running a second pump which is just splashing straight back into the trout tank creating lots of bubbles & a bit of turbulence for them - I don't think I could get more DO if I tried.

I also covered my GBs last year with a big shade/pit tent but the plants did a bit leggy. I would like to build something a little more permanent & use shade cloth.

My suspicion with the deaths was very low pH - not sure.

My trout have not eaten well at all this year - if you look at them the wrong they won't touch the pellets. Somedays they eat twice, other days only once. This is the third batch I have had & they are weird. The conditions have not been optimal & until I can keep the pH above 6 I think I will be battling to grow decent fish or vegies.

I have also found a massive earwig infestation which is probably why seeds are not germinating at the moment - more bed flooding & earwig squashing during the week!

I have resorted to buying seedlings, just to get something growing & so it doesn't just look like 8 bath tubs filled with clay balls in my backyard!!!

Now to get them through another hot day today - I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 06:51 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

a piece (60cm or so) of garden hose lying on the gb is a great earwig trap - i empty them into the chook pen and stand back!

My trout were fussy too - went off food anytime i put a cleaning net in, and then when i changed their food they hardly ate for over 3 weeks, but i could entice them to feed by throwing the pellets in and making a splash. I also found dawn and dusk really are the best times to feed... but id chuck a few pellets in several times a day anyway, any time there was action id throw in more untill it slowed down (classic overfeeding!!)

Ph test kits are really cheap! (it's the only water test ive got)

Good luck with todays heat Karen! been cool overnight so fingers crossed!

my system

PostPosted: Nov 19th, '14, 13:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Interesting about the feeding issues. My Trout are the opposite they will feed no matter what. They will shy away for a few minutes if I try to net them but then come straight back onto the feed.

I cannot walk near the tanks on the inside of the enclosure as they think it is feeding time and make a lot of disturbance splashing all over the place. It seems it is a race to see who can stay on the top.

System MKII
System thread

Datalogger

220L system II

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 08:24 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thats cool Bernhard, must be hard not to feed to much!

Turns out i fed in ~18kg of food to get ~14.5kg of fish, not sure exactly cause the cat always had to have trout food, and the chooks got anything the fish left to go mushy; but at the end they were eating about 2 metric cups a day, but going near them with a net would make them shy for hours or days!

...Just read thru your thread and am truly impressed, so some your ideas i'll be stealing in the near future: ill be cladding and insulating the gb's; using a heat gun to make my own pvc and tank fittings; shade-cloth panel lids over the ft; and stand-pipe grow tubs.

Could you explain the 4 barrel filtration? and also the 'blower' for cooling, cheers!

my system

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 08:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi Dan

I assume that you are asking about the 4 Digester barrels. Basically sluge from the RFF was pumped into the buttom of the right hand barrel. As the water level in the barrel rose the water flowed through a shade cloth screen (to keep large solids in the first barrel) onto the second barrel at the bottom. This was repeated with each barrel and the final barrel overflowed back into the line to the grow beds.

I have since removed the barrels as I needed to make room for the RFF so it could be removed from between the fish tanks.

I will grab a camera and post an update on the thread in a few minutes.

System MKII
System thread

Datalogger

220L system II

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '14, 08:55 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Opps once it stops raining will get that photo.

System MKII
System thread

Datalogger

220L system II

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 08:17 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that Bernhard, ill do more research on mineralization; im wondering if the worms in yours are eating all the solids and doing the work for you?

my system

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 11:52 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Update pics - plenty of growth, the strawberry's have still got plenty of fruit and flowers, AND sending off runners! Tomatoes are in the tubs, so their huge roots can be pulled easy and doing well, planted heaps of suckers from dirt patch, but ive got over 20 heirloom varieties planted so who knows what they are! Iceburgs are heading well, cucumbers have fruit, romanesco and standard broccoli growing big heads (lol), tatsoi grow really quick - i harvest them whole, also have beetroot, baby spinach, leek, dill and basil, stupidly hot chillies, gogi berrys, maybe more, its a bit of a jungle in there!

Attachment:
006 (478x640).jpg
006 (478x640).jpg [ 257.47 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

Attachment:
007 (478x640).jpg
007 (478x640).jpg [ 277.84 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

Attachment:
008 (478x640).jpg
008 (478x640).jpg [ 244.07 KiB | Viewed 2716 times ]

my system

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 11:55 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Attachment:
009 (478x640).jpg
009 (478x640).jpg [ 272.24 KiB | Viewed 2714 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: last pic is the goldfish pond, ill do a small system thread on that, again have had masses of growth
010 (478x640).jpg
010 (478x640).jpg [ 243.21 KiB | Viewed 2714 times ]

my system

PostPosted: Nov 22nd, '14, 13:30 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Looking awesome

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next