All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Aug 18th, '14, 20:42 

Are you human?: 1/2 + 1/2
Hi again.

Can I use a sump pump for my water pump? I see they are a lot cheaper for what they pump but are they for constant use?

I've spoken to a few people that say you should not consider a system less than 1000ltr and and not less than a 1:1 ratio of tanks to grow media. This apparently makes it easier to keep the PH etc in check.

Can I get your opinions of this?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Aug 18th, '14, 21:13 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes, on a good day
Yes you can! I am using ATM, a 3000ltr per hour fountain pump? $82.00 from Bunning’s, it’s a submersible pump, I have removed the bio filter of the pump as I have my own filter in my system, with a filter or a second grow bed you can double your fish stocks, if you have both with an air filter, you could increase that stock again, depending on size of fish tank, more room for fish larger growth, we all have different systems with different ideas, my ideas are a little more radical! As I like to push it a bit! I think the recommended levels are 12 to 15 fish for a 700ltr fish tank with one grow bed, 20 to 25 fish with two grow beds, if you add a filter and air stones with air filter, its up to you, as know one on here other than me has thought about that apparently? But I will only be stocking 20 barra once the weather comes good, ATM I just have the ten goldfish to get my system started, so its up too you! What do you want, but make sure you keep up the air supply to the fish, that’s the most important, the system wont work with dead fish!

Cheers and good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqthLFEJt2c

The paint bag filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goaKIt_JObo

PostPosted: Aug 18th, '14, 22:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Phedus wrote:
Hi again.

Can I use a sump pump for my water pump? I see they are a lot cheaper for what they pump but are they for constant use?

I've spoken to a few people that say you should not consider a system less than 1000ltr and and not less than a 1:1 ratio of tanks to grow media. This apparently makes it easier to keep the PH etc in check.

Can I get your opinions of this?

By sump pump do you mean an actual sump/bilge style pump? I think from memory they are usually cheaper to buy but more expensive to run and not reliable long term. But I have an explosive headache and I'm half asleep so don't quote me on that, lol.

There are plenty of people that run smaller setups, barrel systems are quite popular. Of course you can only grow certain fish with those but they are still perfectly legitimate. A 1k litre system is a good starting point for a bigger setup though, your fish and plant choices are expanded a bit.

I won't comment on the ratio thing as I can't remember at all what is a good base line, except that it's always better to stock to your filtration capability than your fish tank volume.

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 20:28 

Thanks for the help guys.

This is the kind of pump I'm talking about.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-s ... p_p4816179

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 20:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Not sure, but that pump may have oil in it. They(sump) are not designed for continuous duty, and usually have a very short life span. They will move water, and are cheap, but cheap is not always best, and in this case, cheap could end up costing you a whole lot more then you would save. They are also energy hogs, and most likely would cost you more then you would "save" from the initial purchase. As in most things, quality doesn't cost, it pays.Get a good mag drive pump that is energy efficient and you won't regret the additional up front cost. Good pumps had good seals, bearings, and are designed to be run 24-7.

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I had a look at the manual, besides not having a pump curve (always a bad sign) i found this:-

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:15 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I had a look at the manual, besides not having a pump curve (always a bad sign) i found this:-

has oil in it!

Attachments:
ozitopump.PNG
ozitopump.PNG [ 65.03 KiB | Viewed 2643 times ]

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Bingo! Last line is reason enough to not use this pump. Murphy's law would say when everything is going well, you wake up one morning to an oil slick and a bunch of dead fish.

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:29 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Give it a go! My nephew sells that stuff, I have a grinder and a few other tools from them, they work and the warranty is longer than most of the others, plus I think I can get an extended warranty, as my nephew thinks I am the best ever uncle, use what you can afford, and use the best you can get the first time, is my advice,
Once it is all working at full rpm is the test, and that’s the best feeling as you made it yourself!
I am happy with my setup! So you should be with yours, as its your creation, you built it! that’s what makes these setup more personal, I hate the knockers, that don’t like filters?

The paint bag filter

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
Bunnings wouldn't be the best place to buy a pump. They are overpriced, and have a very limited range. I like eBay for pumps, but others might have better places.

The cheaper pumps usually draw more power, so check the wattage of the pump, and compare it to a more expensive version (that move the same amount of water, taking into account the head height and how high you're pumping). Then put both wattages into one of the online electricity price calculators, and it'll work the annual electricity cost, and it should help you work out how much you want to spend.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Slowboat wrote:

has oil in it!

Have you seen the warnings on plastic bags? Do not cover head with plastic bag? The warnings are for the stupid people that do stupid things,
:laughing3: :laughing3:

The paint bag filter

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Colum Black-Byron wrote:
Bunnings wouldn't be the best place to buy a pump. They are overpriced, and have a very limited range. I like eBay for pumps, but others might have better places.

The cheaper pumps usually draw more power, so check the wattage of the pump, and compare it to a more expensive version (that move the same amount of water, taking into account the head height and how high you're pumping). Then put both wattages into one of the online electricity price calculators, and it'll work the annual electricity cost, and it should help you work out how much you want to spend.

I got mine from Bunning’s, I love Bunning’s, I spend hours in there every week!
:laughing3: :laughing3: :D

The paint bag filter

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '14, 21:56 
Legend Member
Legend Member

The Aquapro line of pumps that Bunnings sell are reliable pumps, as are the identical pumps sold elsewhere under the PondMAX brand.

I wouldn't use a cheap sump pump in my system like the one you linked. Sure they are inexpensive to buy, but that doesn't equate to cheaper in the long run. 350w is a lot compared to pond pumps that run at a fraction of that and are designed for continuous use. Pumps like the one you linked are far too unreliable for my liking, and that unreliability could easily result in losing your entire fish stock should you not have adequate backup in place.

Give it a miss IMO. A little more outlay now can save you a lot in the long run.

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '14, 07:17 

Yeah I figured it wasn't a long term situation.

Thanks for the help with this.

Anyone use jabao?

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '14, 08:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

You'll hear mixed opinions about the Jebao pumps but a fair few members use them without any issues, myself included. The feedback was positive enough to make me give them a go, and while I've only been running the two I have for a few months now, it's so far so good for me.

Last edited by Azira on Aug 20th, '14, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.