All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 09:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
You know it's going to be a good system when the excavator comes out!

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 10:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
That is a great build.. I have been thinking of similar designs myself, but I live in a warm climate so there is no need.. but perhaps one day I will have an excuse to build a well insulated greenhouse like that, perhaps if I move back to Sweden.. nice job! :thumbright:

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 15:13 

Are you human?: YES
Great system :thumbright:

So the snap disc controller starts a pump instead of a fan? Sounds neat, wouldn't mind some information on that if you're willing.

Cheers

PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 19:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Scotty,

The snap disk is in the panel outside. It turns on a sump pump in my fish tank. The hose is 100 feet of high temp black rubber curled inside. The panel is plywood, aluminum flashing, 2x4 lumber, and a duel wall polycarbonate for the face. I painted the inside flat black. I've seen the inside of the panel gets 60 C / 140 F.

My plan is to build a duck, chicken, rabbit coop behind my greenhouse and build a huge solar collector on the south roof of the coop. somewhere around 40' by 5'. I plan on making it with two headers and 20 runs made out of PEX. This should produce some insane heat capturing.

My floor is made out of 4" drain pipe off a 8" pipe header. The fan is a a 900 cu ft inline duct fan and pushes air under the gravel floor. This is ran off of a thermostat / humidistat.

Jason

Attachments:
Hot Water Panel 2.jpg
Hot Water Panel 2.jpg [ 201.14 KiB | Viewed 2168 times ]
Hot Water Panel 1.jpg
Hot Water Panel 1.jpg [ 237.36 KiB | Viewed 2168 times ]

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21897
PostPosted: Jun 3rd, '14, 21:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
What can i say WOW were is your bedroom?

Rocketrods Backyard

Rocketrods IBC Blue Barrel Project

PostPosted: Jun 4th, '14, 07:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I definitely plan to have a hammock in here during the winter.

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 04:30 

Are you going to use a coil with the PEX version or run the water in parallel channels for less resistance. I tried small coils of irrigation pipe and had some difficulty because of the increased head height as the coil was raised up higher (at least that's what I think was happening). Wound up using CPVC in parallel rows but space was limited and the collector is not large enough to do much good (not a problem your's will suffer from).

Have you found the snap disc controller flips the pump on and off frequently? Running water through the pipes, cools the inside of my small collector fast enough that I don't think a snap disc would work well located in the same box.

Cheers

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 06:07 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Jason what do you do for pest control and pollination on such a large scale?

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 07:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Scotty - I'm going to run 15 to 20 parallel channels for less resistance between two 1" headers. My snap switch stays on constantly in hot weather and full sun. The panel being one long coil doesn't cool off fast and I'm not picking up much heat either with the flashing. Maybe 1 to 2 deg different from inlet to outlet. I think I need a thicker piece of metal in there or bend my flashing around my pex for better contact. I heard that one long coil where the water is running fast is very inefficient. My snap switch is 120 deg on and 85 deg off which is a large spread, that will help you. If you get a snap switch that kicks on and off at a single deg you will have issues.

Hi East - This is my first year. I had green sap suckers in the spring devastating my leaves. I ordered 1000 lady bugs for 19.95 and they wiped them out in one day. Both the lady bugs and suckers are no more. I had 4 weeks of peace and now I have gnats. They don't seem to be doing anything to the plants but irritating to me. I have two pray mantis eggs that I'm hoping will hatch soon, if not I will order another batch of lady bugs.

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 08:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I might mention that when I had green sap suckers they were so tiny and hard to see but when I inspected my deteriorating leaves I could see them hop around. They also only affected my Soil bed plants, the same exact plants in the Grow Beds were spared. Maybe these were soil living creatures.

Now my gnats are only in my grow beds and fish tank. Surprised my fish aren't eating the ones in the fish tank. The water is 1" below the surface but with my expanded clay media, the top does stay a little moist and the gnats could easily get to the water.

Anyone know what to do?

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 12:14 

Thanks for the info on the solar heater Jason. Are you running AP water through or using a heat exchanger. I use AP water and don't seem to have any problems. FYI you may want to send some of this to a heat storage unit for use at night rather than back to the system because of the temperature fluctuations. I doubt this will be an issue because of the size of your system but you want to avoid temperature swings greater than 6 degrees F (although this is just a guideline and some fish can handle lots more than others). The temperature swings can stress the fish and compromise their immune system and if the swings are bad enough fatalities can result.

Gnatrol or Mosquito Dunks might help (depending on what kind of gnats they are) - these a strain of Bt that works on fungus gnats, black flies and mosquitos. Here's a good article that has a summary table at the bottom to show what strains control what pests (and the products that contain them are listed next to the strain name)- http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05556.html

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Jun 5th, '14, 21:18 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

jwnova99 wrote:
Hi East - This is my first year. I had green sap suckers in the spring devastating my leaves. I ordered 1000 lady bugs for 19.95 and they wiped them out in one day. Both the lady bugs and suckers are no more. I had 4 weeks of peace and now I have gnats. They don't seem to be doing anything to the plants but irritating to me. I have two pray mantis eggs that I'm hoping will hatch soon, if not I will order another batch of lady bugs.

Same thing I have been doing Jason. I have been ordering my LBs off Amazon. You can get 1500 for about 15 bucks after shipping. I also have 7 PM eggs scattered around the green house. They have been in there for 1.5-2 months now and I havent seen any evidence of any of them hatching.

I have a buddy that ordered same time I did and his hatched within a month.

PostPosted: Jun 6th, '14, 11:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Scotty, I use my AP water to cycle. I might increase my holding capacity for heat once my larger system is built.

Thank both of you for ideas on the bugs.

PostPosted: Jun 6th, '14, 20:49 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Impressive stuff Jason, that's some set up!
Thanks for showing it to us.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20788

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '14, 11:39 

Are you human?: Half Fish
Jason that's a heck of a beauty you got yourself there. I really like your setup. What part of West Va are you from? I've got some family in Morefield and some near Mt. storm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next